Reload this Page >

Hitchcock Individual releases from Universal 02.07.06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-17-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, no Psycho or Vertigo anamorphic listed yet...but The Universal Web Page has listed five titles to be released as stand alones on 02.07.06

Family Plot
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Marnie
Shadow Of A Doubt
Torn Curtain

they have the old covers listed but it reads Snap Case with Slip Sleeve, when you click on the titles.

Lets hope 2 discers of Psycho and Vertigo show up for all of us sittin with our old box sets...
Old 11-17-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sure would be nice if they used original poster art for these re-releases like WB did with their Hitchcock DVDs.
Old 11-17-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the rest are released separately. I don't want the boxset.
Old 11-17-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the reviews I read, those titles aren't (much or at all) improved over the older releases, maybe they're re-releasing those first because they are really just re-releases.

If they release any of these separately (I'm sure it will be soon), I'll be picking them up:
Topaz (Improved transfer)
Trouble With Harry (Improved transfer)
Vertigo (16x9)
Psycho (16x9)
Frenzy (Improved transfer)
Saboteur (Improved transfer)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the transfers.
Old 11-17-05, 10:40 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know diff'rent folks have got diff'rent strokes, but really people--buy the box set; it's sooo worth it, and at a value of $5-$6 per disc, I'm sure it'll be quite a bit cheaper than collecting them individually (unless you don't plan to buy all of titles offered and then, if so, shame on you).
Old 11-17-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with Filmmaker and love the set. Just be careful when handling the dvds and you should be alright!
Old 11-17-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I know diff'rent folks have got diff'rent strokes, but really people--buy the box set; it's sooo worth it, and at a value of $5-$6 per disc, I'm sure it'll be quite a bit cheaper than collecting them individually (unless you don't plan to buy all of titles offered and then, if so, shame on you).
I have to agree. Especially with the DDD 20% sale... it works out to be extremely cost-effective, even if the packaging isn't as slick as it could have been. Thinpacks, Universal -- thinpacks!
Old 11-17-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i agree wholeheartedly...the box is a killer deal, This to me is just a better indication for those of us who bought these box sets years ago...that we will be able to pick up the two non anamorphic disc, with a chance at some new extras.
Old 11-17-05, 10:23 PM

I'll probably pick up the box anyhow, but does universal still have a problem with their disks burning out over a few years? I don't want to make the investment if that's the case.
Old 11-20-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^i think that problem has been solved...and i even heard story that they had been replacing vertigo and apollo 13 disc as of a few weeks ago (original disc and all.)

the bits is reporting this as well

We've got some new DVD announcement news to report today. First, Universal will release new single-disc versions of Alfred Hitchcock's Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt and Torn Curtain on 2/7 (SRP $19.98 each). These will be the same newly-remastered editions that are currently available in Universal's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection box set.
Old 12-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and barrie maxwell confirms again

Universal will release new single-disc versions of Alfred Hitchcock's Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt and Torn Curtain on February 7th. These will be the same newly-remastered editions that are currently available in Universal's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection box set.
Old 01-06-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I agree with Filmmaker and love the set. Just be careful when handling the dvds and you should be alright!
Well, I finally broke down and got this set today.

Love the packaging. However, the person who packed my set obviously wasn't careful. Out of the 15, about 6 of the discs have some sort of fingerprint and/or scratch. They're minor, except for Psycho and Rear Window, my 2 favorites.

I'm usually picky about the condition of the discs, but I'm not exchanging this massive set for another one. My player usually handles everything. Checking all those discs at Best Buy would be pure hell.

I have a feeling Universal will release several more of these individually after the initial batch in February. I can always go that route and replace my Psycho disc.
Old 01-06-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Well, I finally broke down and got this set today.

Love the packaging. However, the person who packed my set obviously wasn't careful. Out of the 15, about 6 of the discs have some sort of fingerprint and/or scratch. They're minor, except for Psycho and Rear Window, my 2 favorites.

I'm usually picky about the condition of the discs, but I'm not exchanging this massive set for another one. My player usually handles everything. Checking all those discs at Best Buy would be pure hell.

I have a feeling Universal will release several more of these individually after the initial batch in February. I can always go that route and replace my Psycho disc.
Universal will send you another disc, they offered to do so with my Family Plot but it played fine so I didn't.
Old 01-06-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... technically, if these stand-alone discs are out (probably $9.99 each on sale), eight of the films would cost the same as the whole 14-film box set.

In other words, if you want all 5 of those films, you could pay $27 more to get the other 9.
Old 01-06-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Willh51
Universal will send you another disc, they offered to do so with my Family Plot but it played fine so I didn't.
They said it was alright to just send in that disc rather than the entire set?

Mine should play fine. If it doesn't, I'll contact them.
Old 01-06-06, 09:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
So tell me about Psycho. I 've been thinking of getting the old disc version but should I wait untill this disc is released seperately or do you think it doesn't really matter to wait and get the newer release.
Old 01-27-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the bits is now reporting

In other release news, Universal has announced that the Hitchcock classics Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble with Harry will each be available in singly on 6/20 (SRP $19.98 each). These are the same remastered versions available currently as part of the studio's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection box set.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Still not the singles everyone wants...
Old 01-27-06, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29
So tell me about Psycho. I 've been thinking of getting the old disc version but should I wait untill this disc is released seperately or do you think it doesn't really matter to wait and get the newer release.
Well, if you don't care about an anamorphic transfer, then maybe get the old release, but I'd wait for the new one if I was you.
I am waiting for the inevitable announcement for the remaining 4 films to be released individually. We just got the announcement of 5 more of them coming out in june, the others (Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Rear Window) will be along shortly. They saved the most popular titles to release last, milking us for as much as they can.

Last edited by basaro; 01-27-06 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 06:21 AM

Here's some cover art: (2/07/06 releases)

Old 01-27-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JOE29
I own the old Psycho release and recently got the new Hitchcock set. Watching the new 16x9 version of Psycho, I didn't notice as much grain as I remember from the old release. Of course, I would have to go back and watch that one, but this transfer does look a little better.

I would guess the remastered Psycho gets a single release around Halloween.
Old 01-27-06, 11:27 PM
Banned

From dvdactive.com:

Title: Alfred Hitchcock Singles
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 20th June 2006
SRP: $19.98 Each

Further Details:

Universal Home Video has today announced individual releases of a number of Alfred Hitchcock films. Available from the 20th June will be Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble with Harry. Each disc should set you back around $19.98. Rope and Saboteur will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. The rest will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Disc contents will be identical to those previously available in the recent Alfred Hitchcock boxset, so you can expect production notes, behind the scenes featurettes, trailers and more. We've attached artwork below
Cover art for each release here
Old 01-27-06, 11:56 PM

Nice covers.
Old 01-28-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bad covers.
Old 01-29-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm torn.
Old 06-25-06, 12:08 AM

Is there any news on a Psycho being re-released?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.