Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warning: wallmart Madagascar bonus DVD fullscreen only

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-15-05, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The penguin feature is fullscreen on the wallmart bonus disc no matter if you get it packaged with the widescreen or fullscreen stand alone DVD. It is widescreen on the regular (widescreen DVD)
Old 11-15-05, 03:05 PM

Thanks!! i didn't know that.
Old 11-15-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443200
Old 11-15-05, 03:24 PM

I know, I posted it to that thread, but I also wanted to try and warn others before they go buy it.

Try looking at who posted the info before putting up your silly giff.
Old 11-15-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally think having all the other extras are worth dealing with the Christmas Caper short in Fullscreen.
Old 11-15-05, 03:29 PM

"I personally think having all the other extras are worth dealing with the Christmas Caper short in Fullscreen."

Some may feel this way some may not. Butt it is more important to have the info before the purchase so everyone can get what is best for them.

I had the manager open one of the bonus DVDs and play it to see if it was really fullscreen like the package stated. After it was open they went ahead and gave it to me with the widescreen stand alone DVD.
Old 11-15-05, 03:32 PM

Well I read it hear first, so I appreciate this thread.
Old 11-15-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well then you got the best of both worlds!

The bonus DVD is clearly put together for the kids - which is what I bought it for. All the additional extra features will be adored by my daughter.

The movie itself however, we will watch as a family and as such needs to be in Widescreen to keep Dad happy
Old 11-15-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just so everyone knows what's on the bonus DVD...

I got the bonus disc edition. (had a hell of a time finding one that was packaged with a Widescreen copy)

Basically, "the Christmas Caper" has been moved OFF of the main disc and on to the bonus disc - however on the bonus disc it is presented in FULLSCREEN only. Also included are the penguins doing 4 christmas songs, "We wish you a merry penguin" "Jingel Bells" "Deck the Halls" and "The 12 Days of Christmas"

also included:
Originally Posted by The Back of the Bonus DVD
- Games and Activities - Enjoy Hours of Fun - Penguin Style
- Holiday Printables (DVD-ROM)
- Meet The Penguins of Central Park Zoo: A hilarious insider's look at real life penguins.
- Penguin Commentary - The Penguins' first-flipper account of their mission
- AND MORE!
As a side note, the packs with the bonus DVD were priced the same as the non-bonus ones at my WalMart. I got it for $21 Canadian
Old 11-15-05, 03:55 PM

So let me get this straight:

Buy Madagascar at Wal-Mart, won't get the short on the main DVD but I'll get a 2nd DVD that has the short on it. The bonus DVD will have other extras on it that are unique to the Wal-Mart disc. The short will be in full frame.

Buy Madagascar anywhere else, will get the short on the main DVD, and it will be in widescreen if I buy a widescreen version of the DVD.

Do I have that straight?
Old 11-15-05, 04:07 PM

That is correct except you can also buy the Madagascar Stand alone DVD at wallmart also in fullscreen or wisescreen.
Old 11-15-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That seems really retarded.

= J
Old 11-15-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by David Lambert
So let me get this straight:

Buy Madagascar at Wal-Mart, won't get the short on the main DVD but I'll get a 2nd DVD that has the short on it. The bonus DVD will have other extras on it that are unique to the Wal-Mart disc. The short will be in full frame.

Buy Madagascar anywhere else, will get the short on the main DVD, and it will be in widescreen if I buy a widescreen version of the DVD.

Do I have that straight?
You got it. Although you can also buy the regular (available everywhere else) release at Walmart as well, that includes the Short in Widescreen (if you buy the Widescreen version, of course)
Old 11-15-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 142 Posts
Are you sure they're not just doubling up the short on the second disc so it's all in one place for the kiddies? Seems like a logistical nightmare to make short-less feature discs for a single promotion.
Old 11-15-05, 08:58 PM

Whoa. If you buy it at Walmart you don't get the short in widescreen on the regular disc? If that's true, screw the other extras. I rather have a widescreen short.
Old 11-15-05, 10:06 PM

OP should have looked a little harder before the repeated cries of doom + gloom.

Just got home with this. The packaging on the movie disc is a little different (it doesn't mention the penguins short), but the disc itself is identical. Right on the main menu: Penguins Christmas Caper. It is in widescreen. So, the Walmart 2-pack actually has both versions of the short. Widescreen on one disc, Fullscreen on the other...buy up, guys.
Old 11-15-05, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by j_sutton
OP should have looked a little harder before the repeated cries of doom + gloom.
Like I said earlier, I do not have the DVD that came with the bonus DVD. If it is on the DVD itself then I stand corrected. But the package does not state that it is on there anywhere on the cover.

This has been one of the most confusing releases I have seen.

I do not understand your comment regarding repeating gloom and doom?
Old 11-16-05, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by randyba
I do not understand your comment regarding repeating gloom and doom?
I think he might be referring to the way you posted, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling...WalMart fucked up this release, everybody be careful. Wolf, WOLF!! FIRE!!!" in the proper thread, as well as a new thread...and probably in some other threads too.

-JP
Old 11-16-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j_sutton

Just got home with this. The packaging on the movie disc is a little different (it doesn't mention the penguins short), but the disc itself is identical. Right on the main menu: Penguins Christmas Caper. It is in widescreen. So, the Walmart 2-pack actually has both versions of the short. Widescreen on one disc, Fullscreen on the other...buy up, guys.

Excellent. Like I said, I didn't open it yet - just noted that the Walmart packaging on the film didn't list "The Christmas Caper" at all on it, while the "regular" edition had a red banner on the top advertising it, and had it on the back.

Great to hear the discs are the same tho.
Old 11-17-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I understand what happened now. Weird. Not about the short being in fullframe only, but that it was moved from the main DVD.

This will make things interesting on ebay since there are more than two (the two being widescreen / fullscreen) versions out there, now there are four.