Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Polar Express DVD is not anamorphically enhanced ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-14-05, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Review on DVDTALK states that the 2.35.1 widescreen transfer is not anamorphically enhanced. If it's true then why would warners do that?
Old 11-14-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess Warner didn't want me to buy it. Thats the only thing I can think of if its really true. Considering Warner has been on board with anamorphic widescreen since the late 90's this has to be a screw up if true.
Old 11-14-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reviews at dvdtown.com and dvdmg.com both say it is anamorphic.

DJ
Old 11-14-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does the 2 disc set get 4 stars for Video & DVDTalk Collector's Series status if it is thought to be non anamorphic? That's like not buckling your seat belt when you take the driving test (an automatic failure) isn't it? It damn sure should be & I think the reviewer has gotta be wrong about its anamorphisism.

Last edited by Mr.Briggs; 11-14-05 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't believe it.
Old 11-14-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't imagine that this release wouldn't be anamorphic, but the reviewer does say a couple of times in her review that it isn't. The dvdmg review makes no mention as to it being non-anamorphic, and he usually provides reliable reviews. I'm definitely picking it up next Tuesday, but I would be really shocked if it wasn't anamorphic.
Old 11-14-05, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by dcprules
The dvdmg review makes no mention as to it being non-anamorphic
It actually explicitly states the opposite:

"The Polar Express appears in an aspect ratio of approximately 2.35:1 on this single-sided, double-layered DVD; the image has been enhanced for 16X9 televisions."

DJ
Old 11-14-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18702 - Review linky....

And I agree....if by some chance in hell it isn't anamorphic (which I believe it is) how can it get a Collector's Series rating? That is just silly.
Old 11-14-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, as it says on the back, it is 16x9 enhanced. Can't help but think Holly had a problem with her dvd settings or something.

Old 11-14-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Not to dump on the reviewer, but for WB, who has been 16:9 encoding almost all of their discs since the beginning, I think would do a bit more web research on the disc before stating it's not anamorphic. If this was MGM, Columbia, or Universal, I might not be too terribly shocked. But WB, they have been at the top of the heap with transfers for their films.

Also, it is a bit distressing that a long running reviewer could have the kind of technical issues that would make a disc appear to be non-anamorphic. Of course I'm not ruling out the possibility she was sent a bad screener.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Not to discount the previous poster's praise of WB, but I purchased 2010 a while back, mainly because it said clearly on the back it was enhanced for widescreen TV's, but turned out it wasn't. That would make Polar Express not the first release they misrepresented, if it is in fact not anamorphic.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 11-14-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I purchased 2010 a while back, mainly because it said it was enhanced for widescreen TV's, but turned out it wasn't. Coincidentally, this one is also from Warner Brothers.
Wasn't 2010 just a port over from the original MGM disc?
Old 11-14-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, but I just searched for a thread I remembered in which I asked about 2010 right after I bought it, and someone pointed out that Outland is also marked anamorphic, but isn't. If Polar Express isn't as well, that would make three releases WB has botched up....that we know of.
Old 11-14-05, 11:06 AM

I think Goodfellas was not anamorphic as stated on the original release. I know that Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? is not anamorphic as stated, and I am sure there are a few more. However, as others have stated, I don't think WB would screw up something new.
Old 11-14-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, 2010 is a port from the old MGM DVD, when WB aquired the MGM back catalog.

I find it impossible to believe that Warner would release a non-anamorphic DVD in 2005 (especially one so high profile). Could this be a mistake in the review? A faulty review disc?
Old 11-14-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18702 - Review linky....

And I agree....if by some chance in hell it isn't anamorphic (which I believe it is) how can it get a Collector's Series rating? That is just silly.
Maybe the reviewer in that link wasn't completely aware of the aspect ratio (even though they put the information in the review) and thought the movie being anamorphic should have gotten rid of the black bars.

Just a theory.

Another theory, maybe PE is one of those releases put out in both wide and fullscreen, and look terribly similar, and maybe the reviewer accidentally picked up the fullscreen copy.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 11-14-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I guess Warner didn't want me to buy it.
That's what I thought, too. I won't buy a widescreen DVD unless it's anamorphically enhanced.
Old 11-14-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
I think Goodfellas was not anamorphic as stated on the original release. I know that Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? is not anamorphic as stated, and I am sure there are a few more. However, as others have stated, I don't think WB would screw up something new.
Yea, plus Goodfellas was a flipper disc . Had to hold off on that one until the super-duper-gotta-have-it-special-edition-to-end-all-special-editions version came out.
Old 11-14-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you'll find those discs have been exceptions, which is why I said "almost all".

I agree that discs like the original Goodfellas left a lot to be desired, but still WB was doing 16:9 from day one, which can't be said for all of the studios.

But yeah, they had their clunkers like the aforementioned titles, as well as discs like The American President.
Old 11-14-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
But yeah, they had their clunkers like the aforementioned titles, as well as discs like The American President.
Wait, what's wrong with that disc? I own it but have yet to open it.

K
Old 11-14-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not anamorphic, and from what I understand, pretty bad looking, but YMMV.

It's a shame too, because I would definitely own that film given a good presentation.
Old 11-14-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find it really hard to believe that Polar Express, a movie that relies so heavily on it's visuals, would not be released in Anamorphic Widescreen.
Old 11-14-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Google "Polar Express Anamorphic Widescreen".
Old 11-14-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you to everyone who brought this to my attention! The mystery is solved (details below) - short answer: Polar Express IS anamorphic. The review has been corrected accordingly.

Longer story:

I do in fact know what anamorphic transfers look like and am not clueless about them. What I watched last night did in fact look completely like a non-anamorphic transfer, which baffled me to no end, but... studios do weird stuff sometimes, and as I didn't have the DVD case, just the disc, I couldn't even check if it was listed as being anamorphic or not.

As it turns out, this is what happened: My husband just bought a DVD recorder and has been playing with it, recording some 4:3 stuff onto disc. Well, it turns out that the DVD recorder is the same brand as the player, and when he changed the settings on the recorder, it also changed the settings on the player at the same time, without anybody knowing about it. So, that evening, when I sat down to watch Polar Express, the player treated it like a 4:3 image instead of the 16:9 image that it really is.

A little detective work turned this up, the settings were changed back to normal, and voila! The Polar Express is anamorphic after all!

(And sure, I might have thought of checking that, but honestly, who would have thought of it, given that I never, ever change the settings on the player?)

So there you go. Moral of the story: technical glitches happen to everyone, even reviewers, and we reviewers are very glad when things get called to our attention so glitches can be fixed.
Old 11-14-05, 07:32 PM

Good to hear!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.