Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What DVDs will NEVER be released on HD-DVD??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-14-05, 12:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD-DVDs are coming at some point.

I plan on starting a movie collection, and with waiting this long, 1-3 more years isn't going to kill me to wait for HD-DVDs to be released.

I do want to start buying some DVDs now, and I refuse to buy movies that will be re-released later in HD-DVD.

So I would like to make a list of movies you guys feel would make absolutely no difference visually being re-released on HD-DVD.

Please list anything on DVD(TV series, documentaries, Anime, cartoon series, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 11-14-05, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Any lists would be pure speculation. Buy the movies you like now, and enjoy them. That's why God invented DVD.
Old 11-14-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Evil Dead 2 & Halloween
Old 11-14-05, 01:44 AM

They say anything done on videotape won't make a difference...
Old 11-14-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Impossible to say. I'd say I agree with Forum Troll. Buy what you like now. Maybe you need to decide what titles having the best PQ will be important. I doubt some of the more obscure TV sets from 80's shows will ever be seen again, but I could be wrong. Remember whatever you get will still play on the new format.
Old 11-14-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't believe that BATMAN (The 1960's TV series starring Adam West) will ever receive any sort of official DVD release...HD, or otherwise.
Old 11-14-05, 02:52 AM

I will treat the situation like I treated the VHS to DVD situation. I still bought VHS and whenever the DVD was released I picked it up and sold the VHS. I thought about waiting at one time but I realized if you wait for one thing you will always be waiting. Just think when the HD-DVD comes out are you going to wait till the next technological advancement to start buying.
Old 11-14-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

American Gothic-- barely got released on dvd in the first place. got a lackluster release. I doubt we'll get a worthy release.

Brimstone-- Not even good enough for dvd. Why would HD-dvd bother?
Old 11-14-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Monster Squad.
Old 11-14-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about any classic movie from the 50s and earlier. Doubt these will benefit much from a HD treatment. For instance the current release of North by Northwest (which got the full Lowry treatment) probably looks as good now as it's ever going to look.

FYI, this is exactly what I've decided to do. Will only buy DVDs of old classics until HD comes out.
Old 11-14-05, 10:03 AM

I can pretty much guarantee that you'll never see the Little Shop of Horrors special edition (with alternate ending) on HD-DVD.
Old 11-14-05, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
How about any classic movie from the 50s and earlier. Doubt these will benefit much from a HD treatment. For instance the current release of North by Northwest (which got the full Lowry treatment) probably looks as good now as it's ever going to look.

FYI, this is exactly what I've decided to do. Will only buy DVDs of old classics until HD comes out.
Wrong. Film stock is a much higher "resolution:" thaneven HD. Any film if properly restored will look better on HD. TV shows shot on video tape is debatable. So as good as that NbN DVD looks, a HD version will look even better. In fact the "Lowry Treatment" masters at a resolution much higher than even HD so the transfer is somewhat future-proof.
Old 11-14-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I doubt some of the more obscure TV sets from 80's shows will ever be seen again, but I could be wrong.
Even if old TV shows shot on videotape don't benefit from the higher resolution, they certainly will benefit from the greater storage capacity of HD-DVD. I expect that we will see a great deal of TV releases at standard-definition but with an entire season on one disc.
Old 11-14-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Even if old TV shows shot on videotape don't benefit from the higher resolution, they certainly will benefit from the greater storage capacity of HD-DVD. I expect that we will see a great deal of TV releases at standard-definition but with an entire season on one disc.
While I think that would be awesome and would welcome it wholeheartedly, I think it'll be quite awhile before we see entire seasons on one disc. Afterall, we could already get away with lower disc counts in many situations- not just with tv, but with movies too. I think the marketting angle of releasing tv or movies with more discs than necessary has to do with the visual appeal of buying a larger tv set or a movie with more discs.
Old 11-14-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
The more I see this sort of (incorrect) comment -- and it shows up in just about EVERY high definition thread -- the more I think that the marketing team is going to have a major uphill battle selling people on this technology.

The first few 'classic' releases really better knock it out of the park, in terms of image. Especially with most people feeling that 'older' films won't benefit. There was even one post a while back with someone claiming that no films made prior to 2000 would benefit... as if something magically happened 5 years ago to make movies "HD-ready". There's a lot of ignorance out there about HD resolution, and sales won't take off until it is remedied.

That being said, it's impossible to really answer the thread question until we have a sense of what the HD-DVD landscape will look like. Will this be a niche product? Mainstream? If it sells even half as well as DVD did, you can bet that there's NOTHING on the list of what will "never" be released. Even crappy, public domain material sourced from VHS will get a HD release (although the benefit will not necessarily be there).

(I would definitely hang onto stuff like the original E.T., Apocalypse Now, etc. that may only show up in the expanded/altered version. Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything other than guesswork as to what will and won't show up.)
Old 11-14-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
While I think that would be awesome and would welcome it wholeheartedly, I think it'll be quite awhile before we see entire seasons on one disc. Afterall, we could already get away with lower disc counts in many situations- not just with tv, but with movies too. I think the marketting angle of releasing tv or movies with more discs than necessary has to do with the visual appeal of buying a larger tv set or a movie with more discs.
Agreed -- it's definitely going to be a tug-of-war between perceived value ("There's no way I'm going to pay $59.99 for one disc!") and shelf space. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. are sick of these chunky packages that reduce the amount of product they can display. And, I think this is beginning to trickle down to consumers, who fill up a DVD shelf and then slow down their purchases.

Few discs/thinner packaging is always my preference.
Old 11-14-05, 11:56 AM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
If it sells even half as well as DVD did, you can bet that there's NOTHING on the list of what will "never" be released.
I'm not so sure about that. There are titles that sold poorly on VHS that the studios waited years to release on DVD. If those titles sold poorly on DVD too I doubt we'll see them on the next format.
Old 11-14-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As has been already said, anything we talk about is pure speculation. If HD-DVD does eventually become THE format such as DVD squashed the VHS format, then everything will probably be released on the HD format over time, but hell, we could be talking about a decade for that though. I mean, let's say they don't really get things settled for two or three years here where we start seeing good hardware and some releases for the format. THEN if we have both blu-ray and HD-DVD competing, you may have to wait a couple of years to see which one is the dominant format. Then, give it a good few years for the HD format to really truly be something that can compete with DVD sales. I mean that's just a guess, but either way you'll still be waiting probably more than five years before you see what's going to be the next 'standard'. But when it comes, you'll probably see everything out on it.
Old 11-14-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by woodendragon

I do want to start buying some DVDs now, and I refuse to buy movies that will be re-released later in HD-DVD.
I've heard some people say that there are lots of DVDs that will never be re-released on HD-DVD (or BR). I don't see it that way. The whole point of the studios pushing a new next-gen format is to spur sales of DVD back to a double digit growth rate. This cannot be accomplished unless they can get everyone to re-buy all their DVDs in the new format. So they had better be able to produce sharply better product for this reason.

Also, I'm sure they will be adding more "special features" and footage to get the die-hard collector to re-buy in the new format even if they don't perceive a big PQ upgrade. I'm sure they have been holding back certain extras just for the eventual HD release.

And then there are those that will buy the HD just because it's new. You know, the people who will double, tripple, hell -- N-dip just because the box art changed (i.e. Jumanji). Those people will obviously be re-buying the HD format regardless.

As for me, I know it will be a long time before the format war is over and everything settles down into really good price points. I like being able to pick up mint copy DVDs for $1-$5 on the used market and new for < $10. For example, I just picked up a near-mint copy of Man on Fire for $3.11 shipped. I think it will be quite a while before these price points are seen with HD. Until then, I've got my DVDs.

Hell, anamorphically enhanced DVDs on a progressive scan player look better than film on my projector so I'll be interested to see what the HD format can add...but I'm not willing to over pay for it.
Old 11-14-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Salo comes to mind
Old 11-14-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watching The Magnificent Seven on HDTV was stunning, absolutely stunning. Blew away the current DVD release by miles.
Old 11-14-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 142 Posts
Star Wars
Back to the Future
Lord of the Rings
Matrix
Old 11-14-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Wrong. Film stock is a much higher "resolution:" thaneven HD. Any film if properly restored will look better on HD. TV shows shot on video tape is debatable. So as good as that NbN DVD looks, a HD version will look even better. In fact the "Lowry Treatment" masters at a resolution much higher than even HD so the transfer is somewhat future-proof.
Well, I think the catch phrase is "properly restored". And I doubt many
Old 11-14-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A DVD can look pretty damn good as long as you're not sitting on top of the TV. And there's upconversion players which I have no experience with at all myself, but the 'Digital Reality Creation' (DRC) feature I have on my SONY 42" LCD Rear Projection, really cleans up a lot of the artifacts you would find and makes viewing DVD's even at a closer distance than suggested pretty damn nice. So, your TV's themselves if you spend the dough for one with good features on it, can do a good job of making your DVD's look good, even though they're not HD.
Old 11-14-05, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Flave]Well, I think the catch phrase is "properly restored". And I doubt many

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.