Reload this Page >

What's the big deal with trailers?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-13-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice a lot of people get upset when a film's trailer(s) don't show up on the disc. I just can't comprehend why this is such a great feature to have. I thought teasers/trailers were supposed to get you interested in the movie? But if you've already bought or rented the movie, why not just watch the movie? I don't think I've watched the trailers for more than a handful of dvds, unless it was a trailer for another film, and wanted to check that out.

So, if someone could enlighten me as to why trailers are needed so greatly as a special feature, I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-13-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
It's simply to each their own.

Sometimes a trailer will show stuff that didn't end up in the film. Sometimes a trailer will evoke a fond memory of seeing it in the theater. These are reasons I like trailers even though their absense is not a deal-breaker for me.
Old 11-13-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I notice a lot of people get upset when a film's trailer(s) don't show up on the disc. I just can't comprehend why this is such a great feature to have. I thought teasers/trailers were supposed to get you interested in the movie? But if you've already bought or rented the movie, why not just watch the movie? I don't think I've watched the trailers for more than a handful of dvds, unless it was a trailer for another film, and wanted to check that out.

So, if someone could enlighten me as to why trailers are needed so greatly as a special feature, I'd appreciate it.
Put that way what's the big deal about the cover? Why not sell them in plain black snapcases with a sticker telling what the movie is. The movie will still play the same.
I'd like to know why people collect stamps. What can you do with it except put it in a book or whatever it is they do with them.
I like to have the trailer to go with the movie. I'll double dip to get the trailer. Could care less about commentaries. Have never listened to one.
Just different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-13-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the big deal with inserts, features, 5.1 sound, 16x9 enhancement, slipcovers.....you can do this with just about anything. Trailers are just....cool.
Old 11-13-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Put that way what's the big deal about the cover? Why not sell them in plain black snapcases with a sticker telling what the movie is. The movie will still play the same.
I've never been a stickler over coverart either, and while I may not like "big head" covers or other studio choices, it won't become a deal-breaker to me. The only time I've ever went to another region for a different cover was when the price was essentially the same, and that one was more aesthetically pleasing to me.

I guess I can maybe understand the nostalgic value of trailers in bringing up some memory of seeing it in the theatre, but I hardly ever go to the theatre, and hardly watch any TV at all. So, I'd say a good 75-80% of my purchases are blind buys. I'll usually go out of my way *not* to watch a trailer so that the movie will be a totally new experience for me.
Old 11-13-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well in my case, I have two dvd players in my theater so I can show a trailer for the same or a different movie prior to watching a feature
Old 11-13-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watch movies in the theater and since I tivo everything, I rarely see commercials. Most of the time when I go to watch a DVD, it's the first I've seen anything of the movie (aside from reviews on sites like this, word of mouth and still photos in magazines and such).

So for me it helps to set up the movie. It also helps to set the mood for the movie.

It's like the appetizer before the main course.
Old 11-13-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Trailers provide a record of how the movie was marketed, and are just as valuable as poster galleries, production notes, or behind-the-scenes footage.

I think it's often quite fascinating to see how movies can be mis-marketed by misleading trailers that make serious movies look like comedies or talky dramas look like slam-bang action movies.
Old 11-13-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
My wife and I watch movies together...I like to use the trailer to give her an idea of what she's about to see since she's not a huge movie nut like I am.
Old 11-13-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailers are about the only extras I actually want. Nostalgic purposes for me.
Old 11-13-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Trailers are about the only extras I actually want. Nostalgic purposes for me.
Ditto.
Old 11-13-05, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems we're all addicted to collecting DVDs for various reasons. Everyone's going to have a different reason/justification for spending a good portion of their income on a plastic disc with a snazzy case -- and that justification just might be the trailers for some.
Old 11-13-05, 02:03 PM

I personally like watching the trailers. Especially for older films b/c it's funny how cheesy looking the trailers are from the 80s/early 90s.
Old 11-13-05, 03:47 PM
Banned

I don't like to view theatrical trailers because they have a tendency to show practically every scene in the movie, and reveal too much of the story, before the audience even get to see the movie in it's entirely after it's released. After viewing a full length theatrical trailer, it's like you already seen the movie.
Old 11-13-05, 03:58 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychlowne
It seems we're all addicted to collecting DVDs for various reasons. Everyone's going to have a different reason/justification for spending a good portion of their income on a plastic disc with a snazzy case -- and that justification just might be the trailers for some.
Guilty as charged.
Old 11-13-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look at Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius or Twister, there's scenes in the trailers that's not in the movie or deleted scenes.
Old 11-13-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I love trailers. Always have. I like to see how the movie was marketed at the time of release. What pisses me off the most is the fact that now everybody is putting trailers on discs...just not the trailer for the movie you purchased!
Old 11-13-05, 05:54 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah- I'll go with the nostalgia argument also. It's a kick to revisit what got you excited about seeing the film in the first place.
Old 11-13-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think it's often quite fascinating to see how movies can be mis-marketed by misleading trailers that make [...] talky dramas look like slam-bang action movies.
Hart's War and it's trailer are good examples of this. Although the film was excellent, there were no actual all-out action sequences, yet the trailer cut it all in such a way that it looked like a balls-to-the-wall action film.
Old 11-13-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The lack of trailers rarely bothers me. I only watch them occasionally anyway.
Old 11-13-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hart's War and it's trailer are good examples of this. Although the film was excellent, there were no actual all-out action sequences, yet the trailer cut it all in such a way that it looked like a balls-to-the-wall action film.
The Braveheart dvd has two different trailers. One cut to look like an action movie for showing before action movies, and a second that makes it out as a love story for showing before chick flicks.
Old 11-13-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Trailers are a must. There's a reason I can spend two hours in front of Apple.com looking at trailers. They're also a great way to inform someone of what the movie is about.
Old 11-13-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love watching trailers but dont care if they are on the dvd or not (thats what apple.com is for )
Old 11-13-05, 07:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like the trailers because it's fun to see if and how the movie was mismarketed.
Old 11-13-05, 08:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
A great example would be the teaser trailer for Burton's Batman (that's not in the new dvd release!). They rushed out a teaser the Christmas before that showed an assortment of action scenes but had no dialogue or music, only the sound effects. For me, that was a huge omission from a nearly great dvd release.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.