What's the big deal with trailers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's the big deal with trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch the trailer to the original Psycho and you'll understand why I want them. Trailers in many cases are part of the movie experience. Even though I hate Episode I i still get chills when I watch the trailer.
Old 11-13-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I just wanted to chime in with a "me too", the nostalgia, the missing scenes, the tone of the trailer vs actual movie. All very good reasons.

I just thought of an example (really shows my geek flag, so be warned)
In 2000, Lucas/Fox re-released the 97 SEs on VHS to help promote Ep 2. They took off the making of material from the SEs, but added an Ep 2 featurette. As interesting as I thought it was, I couldn't justify another VHS purchase when I had so many, (not to mention the whole idea that it should have been a ^%!*@*%-forsaken DVD release also!) So I passed, and relied on the folks who did purchase it to reveal any juicy goodies (there weren't really). A little while afterward, we were in a pawn shop that always has tons of VHS movies, dirt cheap, and my wife was picking up some anime tapes, and you could buy so many and get one free. Lo and behold there was a copy of ANH from that 2000 release, in widescreen no less. So I grabbed it as a collectible. When I went to watch the Ep 2 featurette, before it on the tape is a minute and half montage of scenes from the OT and TPM set to Duel of the Fates. Even with only one movie of the PT done, they were able to show several parallels, in both story and cinematography. It's a hell of a rocket ride of a trailer, that really psychs you up for the rest of the PT, though at the end it flashes "www.starwars.com". It's just a promo for the official site. I have silently prayed to the DVD gods before every subsequent SW DVD release for this trailer to be on the DVD in 16x9 widescreen, 5.1 glory, and I have been disappointed everytime. All the great making of stuff that is on the DVDs, plus the decent prequel movies and the OT-SE release, and the absence of that one little trailer always takes my impression of those DVDs down, just a little bit.

That's the big deal with trailers.

BTW, the ep 2 featurette is pretty bland, and kinda misleading as it focuses on the young Owen and Beru, and they're hardly in Ep2 despite their buildup beforehand.
Old 11-13-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the traliers and teasers for the movies. I can usually dispense with all the other extras offered on a DVD except the trailers.
Old 11-14-05, 01:27 AM
JM1

Someone mentioned showing a trailer before the film as an appetiser, or showing the trailer to a friend or family member before the movie to give them an idea what the film is about.

Now, if we are saying one of the primary reasons for having trailers is the nostalgia factor, please tell me when they ever showed trailers right before the movie in the cinema?

Most modern trailers give away the main plot and show most of the main action scenes, so isn't this counter-productive? Movies should unfold before you, there should be a sense of discovery, the less you know the better.

One of the best examples I can give is Mel Gibson's Ransom. I saw an advance preview of this before trailers had come out, and that "reveal" mid way through when Gibson's characters goes on TV was an incredibly powerful moment - and I was mortified when they used it in the trailers.

For the record I am not bothered about having trailers on DVD's. I can understand the point about the older ones being more interesting, but even then I would only ever watch them once. But newer trailers do have a habit of showing as much as the movie as possible to get people into the theatre.
Old 11-14-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think everyone has their own special featur they go gaga over. For me it is deleted scenes, especially of older films I have seen dozens of times. Nowadays films are created with having cut scenes for the DVD release.

If another guy fancies having trailers, then knock yourself out.
Old 11-14-05, 03:10 AM

I know for me it is simply an addition to my collection. Tim Burton is my favorite director and I consider having a trailer a great addition to my collection. I mean where else can you get them. However, as much as I love to have trailers I am not going to pitch a fit over them. To me they are great to own, but hey the movie is still the best.
Old 11-14-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm one of those who doesn't care about having trailers, for the same reasons others have mentioned, but it's been interesting reading the comments from those of you who do (those who atempted to answer the question, that is ). I have to admit, I've always kind of wondered about their appeal as well.
Old 11-14-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Although I avoid most movie trailers(I don't mind teasers though) since they give away too much, I still like having them on DVDs so somewhere down the line I can see them.

I really don't understand why the majority of studios have stopped including trailers. It's not like they take up a lot of bitspace, and in this day and age, there's no reason they can't secure the music rights ahead of time.
Old 11-14-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the trailers that use music not featured in the movie. I thought one of the bigger movies used part of the score from another movie. It was either Lord of the Rings that used it or its score was used in another film. I forget.
Old 11-14-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never understood the desire to watch trailers (seems geeky and/or pointless), but the marketing rationale does make sense. It is interesting to watch old trailers in which the director (e.g., Hitchcock) explains or tries to sell the film. Today, most trailers resemble MTV videos (remember those?) and while they may do a good job of showcasing stars or revealing basic plot details, the format is fundamentally unsuited to mirroring the pace and style of all but the most frenetic blockbusters. For example, I had no idea what Paradise Now was about after watching the trailer. Only after reading reviews did it seem like a film I would want to watch.
Old 11-14-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Trailers provide a record of how the movie was marketed, and are just as valuable as poster galleries, production notes, or behind-the-scenes footage.
Agree 100% percent. Hell, I have a couple DVDs in my collection that are nothing BUT trailers (from the 60's and 70's)
Old 11-14-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I like trailers. Like many other posted, it evokes fond memories of when you first saw a trailer for a movie you were really excited about. Or the trailer helped you get excited about a new movie. With a lot of cult films, I like having trailers because I am always curious how it is marketed not only in this country, but others. (Ex. Cannibal Ferox)
Old 11-14-05, 01:46 PM

Trailers are about the only extras I actually want. Nostalgic purposes for me.
Double Ditto
Old 11-14-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't care if there's a trailer on the disc or not, I mean I don't get my panties in a bunch if it's not there. One thing I do like about trailers being on a release, is that if I'm watching a movie with my wife that she's never seen before, or a friend hasn't seen before, we can watch the trailer to get an idea of what they're watching. And as said, it's also interesting to see how older films from like the 50's-80's were originally marketed. But since the beginning of DVD, the trailer was a standard for a while and pretty much expected, and I think a lot of people just get a little miffed by the fact that a once standard, is more and more being excluded off of even major releases.
Old 11-14-05, 02:19 PM

I eventually plan on getting a media server set up a matinee double feature at home for friends and family. I plan on using trailer to garner interest for what I will be showning the next week.
Old 11-14-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the studios wised up and would rather use the space to stick forced trailers for other movies or anti-piracy segments instead. Too bad.
Old 11-14-05, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well in my case, I have two dvd players in my theater so I can show a trailer for the same or a different movie prior to watching a feature
Why can't you just watch the trailer, and then watch the movie on the same disc, if you want to show the trailer of the movie before playing that movie?
Old 11-14-05, 04:27 PM

I just think it's fun to watch trailers that are really well done and show off the style of the movie. Two of the best trailers I've seen that come to mind are the teasers for Jarhead and Garden State (unfortunately absent from the DVD).
Old 11-14-05, 04:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not so much a stickler about trailers for recent movies, but I love to have them for 80s and earlier movies. Some of the early 80s horror trailers are just awesome IMO, often better than the movies themselves.
Old 11-14-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jigga6286
Why can't you just watch the trailer, and then watch the movie on the same disc, if you want to show the trailer of the movie before playing that movie?
I can and I do unless I want to show a different trailer!
Old 11-14-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having trailers for a film on a dvd can be a very valuable special feature to have for anyone. I like it when studios get creative and include trailers from other parts of the globe, along with multiple trailers from the films native country. Being able to view them you can see how the film was marketed, you can see different scenes not in the original cut, you can hear cool music for the film or something else used for the trailer. That and promo spots are just great to have and view on any dvd. It makes for a better dvd, and it's entertaining to watch them sometimes.

To me, I think they are a big deal, they are fun to watch.

One of my favorite trailers ever is the one for "Dumb and Dumber" it completely is well done and shows why films trailers are important.
Old 11-14-05, 06:10 PM

Trailers are often the first memories of the film and what convinces some people to go see a movie, so if you like a movie enough that you went out and bought it on DVD, that trailer may mean something to you as a fan of the film.

Paul
Old 11-14-05, 06:39 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Sometimes, depending on the movie, my wife will watch the trailer just to get an idea of the film since some of the stuff I'm into she doesn't really care too much for - and likewise.

The one trailer that I do find annoying tho' is that "bootlegging" one with the music blasting out as soon as you put the DVD in.
Old 11-14-05, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love good well done trailers. So they are a must for me!!

Especially on horror films and cult films in general. I could spend hours watching many cool trailers like that if I wanted to

Trailers today are pretty bland and all follow the same generic formula. And worst of all,they give away the entire film! Now I noticed plenty of older studio trailers also did the same thing(and some are like 3-5 minutes long). But there are plenty of great ones that last two minutes or less and get you pumped up for the film without revealing the entire plot!.

So as I said good trailers can get me pumped up and interested in a film. While bad trailers that are so predictable can make me less interested in a film.

And durring the October horror movie viewing challenge. I did spend one night after a film watching 80 minutes worth of kickass horror trailers. Which got me pumped up for various films..including ones I didn't plan on watching durring the fest!

So trailers do serve a purpose and can be alot of fun. If only the studios knew how to make memorable not to spoiler ridden trailers today.

I also hate when studios include the trailer for a film on other dvds..except the films dvd release! Lions Gate did this with High Tension where the excellent teaser trailer which really pumps me up for the film is available on the American Psycho SE. And they do that with alot of their films as well. Meanwhile some studios leave trailers off completely and I really hate that.
Old 11-14-05, 09:03 PM

Eh, it doesnt really bother me as long as I can fast foward, but you should still be able to skip them completely, imo. If we buy something, we shouldnt be forced to endure something we dont want.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.