DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Trek collection: Borg set

Old 11-10-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
New Trek collection: Borg set

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4463

Ten episode set from TNG, VOY and ENT.

I have to admit, I used to be deadset against best of sets, but with the prices of the Trek sets being so unreasonable, I don't think I'd mind a few sets like this. I'm sure we'll see a Time Travel set and a Mirror Universe set eventually.

[uber-geek]If you want to expand this to the original series, the Doomsday Machine from TOS was retconned in a TNG novel to be a Borg killer. Not a bad explanation IMHO. And Roddenberry once half-jokingly speculated that the machine planet V'Ger visited was the Borg homeworld. [/uber-geek]
Old 11-10-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay. Now they are starting to milk us fans. I'm not going to buy this. The only new Trek release that I will buy is the animated show if and when it is released. I already have all the feature films and still need to pick up a few seasons of DS9, Voyager and TNG. This is like that stupid Picard collection they put out a while back.
Old 11-10-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

alice krige did look like Decker's prude girlfriend from TPM
Old 11-10-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Okay. Now they are starting to milk us fans. I'm not going to buy this. The only new Trek release that I will buy is the animated show if and when it is released. I already have all the feature films and still need to pick up a few seasons of DS9, Voyager and TNG. This is like that stupid Picard collection they put out a while back.

I think the unreasonable prices on the season sets is worse. These are for the casual fans, or the ones like me that simply won't pay that much for the whole seasons. Like I said, I used to hate the idea, but I'm starting to come around for things like this. I've also kinda been eyeing the X-files Mythology sets. I can't see sinking that much money into all nine seasons, but I'd like to have something with the main episodes.
Old 11-10-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it's actually a decent collection, for those that just want the Borg stories in one handy set. though why call it "Fan Collective"? why not just "Borg Collective" like the previous release on VHS/LD?
Old 11-10-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awsome! Yeah I don't really feel like spending $3000 on all the Star Trek season sets. So something like this is perfect for the casual fan.
Old 11-10-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 142 Posts
So, I'm finally going to be able to watch "Best of Both Worlds" withough shelling out over $200?
Old 11-10-05, 04:12 PM

Why bitch? If you already have all the season sets, there is no reason to get this, and therefore, they're not milking you at all. If you don't have the season sets, this is a perfectly viable and cheaper alternative to getting some Star Trek on DVD, and again, they're not milking you. If you hate Star Trek, or if you just refuse to pay for Star Trek, then don't and they're not milking you again. Either pay the price they're asking, buy used or don't buy at all. But why bitch? Has everyone forgotten the VHS days when single episodes were $12.99 to $14.99 each and they were on crappy VHS? Let's see a 26 episode season at $13 each is . . . $338.00, compared to a season on DVD, which can be picked up lots of places from between $80 - $100. Hmmmm. How spoiled we've become.
Old 11-10-05, 04:22 PM
Dai

I'll buy it.

I liked the shows, but not enough to buy all the season sets...
Old 11-10-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Okay. Now they are starting to milk us fans.
Exactly why? Assuming you are a fan who bought all the season sets, why do you feel compelled to think they are marketing this to you? You know, when they had the entire series out on VHS, they still packaged these theme collections. Both have different target audiences. It's plain arrogance to think because you bought one, they are just automatically expecting you to buy the other. If you don't want it, fine, but I don't think they are milking anything. They realize people out there prefer the theme sets as opposed to the whole series collections, so they are trying to appeal to them.

When TNG was first released, Paramount addressed the question of what would happen to their theme sets they were so famous for on VHS. They announced they would release the TV shows on DVD first then get back to the theme sets. To me, they are right on track with what they promised us years ago.
Old 11-10-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the runtime of 719 minutes and the fact that there's only 10 episodes, I guess we can assume that they're counting 2-parters as single episodes and that all the Borg 2-parters will be included.
Old 11-10-05, 10:38 PM

I think that I will buy this.... simple as that.
Old 11-11-05, 01:12 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If only the season sets were cheaper
Old 11-11-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I wonder if it will include Descent I & II? Those were missing from the Borg Collective laserdiscs.
Old 11-11-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved TNG, but have no desire to own every episode. Great solution.
Old 11-11-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i sold off my partial collections of both TNG and DS9 due to the cost of completing the series. i am, however, interested in picking this up as well.
Old 03-12-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reviving an old thread...

Just picked this up yesterday. Wasn't even aware that it was coming out and saw it in the Best Buy flyer. I'm very pleased with it.

I guess I'm a casual fan of the show, and I'd been considering getting the season sets, but I just didn't think I'd watch them enough for it to be worthwhile...plus they are absurdly expensive.

This has several of my favorite episodes. I'll probably get the next two sets (Q and Time Travel) and will be all set for Star Trek. I may even skip the Q one and just get time travel. I think All Good Things... might be my favorite episode.

Anyway, recommended for casual fans who don't want to take out a second mortgage for some Star Trek.
Old 03-12-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Reviving an old thread...

Just picked this up yesterday. Wasn't even aware that it was coming out and saw it in the Best Buy flyer. I'm very pleased with it.

I guess I'm a casual fan of the show, and I'd been considering getting the season sets, but I just didn't think I'd watch them enough for it to be worthwhile...plus they are absurdly expensive.

This has several of my favorite episodes. I'll probably get the next two sets (Q and Time Travel) and will be all set for Star Trek. I may even skip the Q one and just get time travel. I think All Good Things... might be my favorite episode.

Anyway, recommended for casual fans who don't want to take out a second mortgage for some Star Trek.
The season sets for some of the series have been reduced quite a bit, so you may want to reconsider

you can get all 7 seasons of DS9 or TNG from DVDEmpire for $288.89/each plus shipping (less any coupons available), or from DDD for $314.59/ech (which would be $251.67/each if/when the next 20% off sale is)
Old 03-12-06, 10:05 AM

I don't understand the hatred releases like this get.

If you already have all the seasons on DVD, and spent a fortune for them, then of course you wouldn't need to buy this.

But in my case, I only have TOS and Enterprise on DVD. This set has a lot of episodes from TNG and Voyager on it, and I don't have any of that on DVD. Yes, it has one Enterprise ep on it, and I already have that, but I don't mind.

Of course, eventually, I may have the season sets, especially since the prices have finally come down to be within reason. But you know what happens? With seven seasons each for TNG, DS9 and Voy, I can easily be overwhelmed. How do I pick a series, a season and an episode to watch? With a theme set like this, if I want to watch a Borg episode, I just pick up this set.

I think with any series, the good episodes can get lost. Best of and theme collections help to highlight them.

And this was called a "fan collective" because, IIRC, the sets and the episodes included were based on the votes of fans received online.
Old 03-12-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bought DS9 - The complete series set, and (at least in Canadian dollars with tax) worked out to be about $65 per season, which is exactly what I paid when I got the ANGEL season sets, so compared to around $200 per season, I know it was worth it.

The best Trek, and the only Trek for me - the others might as well not exist: Deep Space Nine.
Old 03-12-06, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I just bought DS9 - The complete series set, and (at least in Canadian dollars with tax) worked out to be about $65 per season, which is exactly what I paid when I got the ANGEL season sets, so compared to around $200 per season, I know it was worth it.

The best Trek, and the only Trek for me - the others might as well not exist: Deep Space Nine.
Except for the opening of Emissary, there are no Borg episodes in DS9. So this has what to do with this thread?

TNG and DS9 can be had for about $45 per season, provided you buy all seven of each at the same time. By comparison, I paid about $28 for this Borg collection of 14 episodes (as they're listed).

Even if eventually I do buy all the seasons, I won't feel bothered by this at all.
Old 03-12-06, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Besides Time Travel and Q are there any other sets planned? I'd love to see one that focused on Worf's story and the Klingon civil war.
Old 03-12-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
Besides Time Travel and Q are there any other sets planned? I'd love to see one that focused on Worf's story and the Klingon civil war.
I read up a bit after buying and these three were the only ones I saw.

I always thought the Q episodes were fun, but not necessarily my favorite. I usually find the time travel eps a bit convoluted, but Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good Things will pretty much complete my need for all things Trek.

These are as someone said before voted by the fans...first they voted for favorite themes...and then favorite episodes within those themes. There is unfortunately some overlap. I think Q Who is on both the borg and Q sets...and I think Endgame from Voyager is on both the Borg and Time Travel sets.

Bottom line is that pretty much every episode is...if not one of my favorites...definitely very good. I always hoped they'd do exactly something like this...best episodes...as voted by the hardcore fans. Just wish they'd done it for x-files before I bought those seasons. I personally never cared for the conspiracy episodes but would love to have a top-14 freak of the week set.

Anyway...to each his own...as they say.
Old 03-12-06, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read up a bit after buying and these three were the only ones I saw.
Hopefully there will be more though. Between these and the Picard set last year it seems they are atleast trying some new things...

I still think Paramount and Fox are missing a great opportunity in doing custom DVDs. Log on to a website, select the eps you want, have a range of custom menus/disk & cover art to choose from, hit the button and they burn the DVD and ship it out. Even if it took a little while between ordering it and receiving it I think a lot of people would like this, provided they kept the price reasonable

Last edited by nemein; 03-12-06 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 05:58 AM

I was tempted by this Borg set! Lotta great episodes.

A mirror, mirror set would tempt me all the way to the cash register!!

Take care all!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.