Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Outer Limits DVD problem?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-09-05, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This problem is in reference to the ORIGINAL Outer Limits Season 2 DVD box set.

Disk 2 side A of this set did not work in any DVD player I tried it in.

I was able to exchange this set for another.
To my disappointment not only does Disk 2 side A not work again but neither does Disk 1 side B!!!

Anyone experience or heard of this problem?
Old 11-10-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, you're definitely not the only one who encountered this. I purchased the season two set six months ago from Deep Discount, right after the price drop on the two original OL sets. I had the exact same problem with disk two - one side would not even load or play on any of my DVD players. Looking at the surface of the disk, you could easily see that there was some kind of manufacturing defect on the disk substrate - a kind of cloudy and pockmarked mass just under the clear surface of the disk.

So I returned the box set to DDD for exchange. The next copy I received had the very same problem on the very same disk, and likewise wouldn't play. So I returned that one. Same result. I eventually ended up exchanging the set four times with DDD, and never did get a good working copy. All four sets had the same defect on the same disk/side.

Eventually, DDD essentially refused to exchange the set for me anymore (which really pissed me off). Not that it would have mattered anyway I suppose, since they apparently had nothing but a stock of bad copies.

After doing some research, I found that many other folks have had similar problems with the OL Season Two sets. It's mentioned in a couple of customer reviews at Amazon, and there was a long thread about at the Home Theater Forum website. From what I can gather, MGM has so far refused to admit the problem and responds to customer complaints by telling you to return the set for exchange to your retailer. Well, lot of good that does.

I think that this may have only been a problem with a recent manufacturing run of the disks - perhaps within the last year, which is why there weren't complaints when the set was originally released 3-4 years ago. Also, since it is only on select sides of the set, many people who have recently bought the set may not even know they have a problem yet.

I'm guessing the best approach may be to either buy multiple copies of the box set and try to put together a good set from that, pick up an older set (and get lucky), or just avoid it altogether. At least until enough people raise a fuss that MGM will fix the problem (if that ever happens).
Old 11-10-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I think that this may have only been a problem with a recent manufacturing run of the disks - perhaps within the last year, which is why there weren't complaints when the set was originally released 3-4 years ago.
I think that's probably right. I've had both sets for over a year (or2?), and I've literally watched these more than any other DVDs I have, and I haven't had problems with them.