DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Live 8

Old 11-07-05, 07:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live 8

How many of you are going to buy it just for the Pink Floyd reunion?
They did 4 Songs.

RobertC
Old 11-07-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
The Floyd set is the icing on the cake. There ARE some other good performances (along with the cause) that makes it a worthy purchase.
Old 11-07-05, 07:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm passing as it's missing too much stuff I like and too heavy on pop stuff.

i.e. only 1 song each from Green Day and Dave Matthew's Band's sets, but 3 or 4 each for Will Smith and Robbie Williams.

Never liked Pink Floyd, so that's not a factor.
Old 11-07-05, 07:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuck Floyd, I'm shelling out $22 for the three U2 songs (though the Coldplay set makes it hurt a little less).
Old 11-07-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been debating over this since I'm only interested in Velvet Revolver, The Who and Pink Floyd and I don't know if I want to own and watch a 4 disc collection just for those performances.
Old 11-07-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sataniko
I've been debating over this since I'm only interested in Velvet Revolver, The Who and Pink Floyd and I don't know if I want to own and watch a 4 disc collection just for those performances.
That's kinda how I feel about it. I couldn't wait to get Live Aid last year because I fondly remember watching the whole show and liking a wide variety of performances. With Live 8 I remember Pink Floyd's phenomenal performance (and I'm not the biggest Floyd fan in the world) and little else. There's too much crap on there to justify spending to see the bands I like.
Old 11-08-05, 12:29 AM
Banned

Fuck Floyd. I got it for the 3 madonna songs

And yeah, i didn't pay a damn cent for it.
Old 11-08-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If one more person says "fuck Floyd", we's gunna have a problem up in here.

I've already got my own copy of Floyd's performance on dvd, but I think the cause is worthy and 4 loaded discs for $25 ain't bad. Especially since it contains rehearsal footage. I would just get those two bits on dvd, but that'd still probably cost $12. I'm sure it'll come out. A Floyd-only Live 8 dvd.
Old 11-08-05, 08:28 AM
Banned

Well, the official DVD may be edited whereas your version may not be. Luckily, I have Madonna's performance from London in 16x9 and it's unedited.
Old 11-08-05, 08:49 AM

The specs on the Internet were saying this would be 16x9 but the US version says 4:3 FF on the back. Is the whole thing full frame or are the London performances in 16x9?
Old 11-08-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
If one more person says "fuck Floyd", we's gunna have a problem up in here.
Got that right.

Old 11-08-05, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
The specs on the Internet were saying this would be 16x9 but the US version says 4:3 FF on the back. Is the whole thing full frame or are the London performances in 16x9?
They're all in widescreen...including that fucking Floyd.
Old 11-09-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked this up ($24.99 at Target) and checked out a few songs (Yes, Floyd along with The Who and Robbie Williams).

Let me tell you... the DTS track is amazingly clear and kick-ass! The bass will rattle the walls. Hopefully the rest of the disc will sound the same. Also the video quality is very good.
Old 11-09-05, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I picked this up ($24.99 at Target) and checked out a few songs (Yes, Floyd along with The Who and Robbie Williams).

Let me tell you... the DTS track is amazingly clear and kick-ass! The bass will rattle the walls. Hopefully the rest of the disc will sound the same. Also the video quality is very good.
Others of us have a different opinion on the picture quality. Check the music section where we've been discussing this release.

Not sure why it's in this forum to begin with.
Old 11-09-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Hmm...I only see one person complaining about the image (unless you're including yourself, as well)...I won't be able to look at mine until Friday--any other opinions?
Old 11-09-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
It is a DVD release, is it not?
Old 11-09-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
It is a DVD release, is it not?
It is but it's a MUSIC dvd. we have a music forum and there have now been 4 threads started about Live 8 which included all information about the DVD release.
Old 11-09-05, 11:10 AM
Banned

I've always understood the music section to be more reflective of CDs/LPs than DVDs, but in any case, I'm comfortable with there being a crossover; that way you reach DVDTalkers who see this as a music release, as well as those who see it as a DVD release.
Old 11-09-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I've always understood the music section to be more reflective of CDs/LPs than DVDs, but in any case, I'm comfortable with there being a crossover; that way you reach DVDTalkers who see this as a music release, as well as those who see it as a DVD release.
Cool. I didn't know you were an admin.
Old 11-09-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then how come the TV section (which is also under Entertainment Discussions and not DVD with the Music section) isn't loaded up with TV on DVD threads?

I don't think it is unreasonable to look in the DVD section for DVD release, music or otherwise. Espeically since it is a video release.
Old 11-09-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Cool. I didn't know you were an admin.
Ouch! No reason to get pissy (or did I miss an intended *wink wink* tone?)...
Old 11-09-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Others of us have a different opinion on the picture quality. Check the music section where we've been discussing this release.

Like I said, I only looked at a few songs... all from the London show and all at night so maybe they looked better than the others. I still stand by the fact that, from what little I saw, it looked and sounded great.

Why post here? Just like with a movie, first there's a thead about it in Movie Talk. Once the DVD comes out there's a thread in the main forum to talk about that release. This thread was already here, I couldn't find any others so I used it as a springboard. If the admins want to merge, then that's cool with me. Also that other thread just gets too whiney with people boo-hoo'ing that their favorite artist only gets 1 track.

Anywho, I like the packaging... designed just like the Live Aid box. Ditto with the menus. It might make for an interesting marathon watching all 8 discs back-to-back.