Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have a lot of blind buys that you regret buying?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you have a lot of blind buys that you regret buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 11:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90% of my collection has been blind buys... since my collection is almost 100, that's about 90 DVD's. Out of those I like them all, the only DVD I own that I really don't like is "The Whole Ten Yards" which was a gift, so that doesn't count.

Besides this forum, there's a number of others non-DVD or Movie related that have ongoing Movie suggestion threads... those along with this site, IGN DVD, and a quick look at the cast & crew of a film... and I pretty much have blind buying down to a science.
Old 11-08-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
Most of the Japanese horror movies everyone raves about. Ringu, Ju-On, Old Boy, etc. I just can't get in to them. The American versions I like though.
Same here. Ringu was another horrible blind buy (for me). Man, that movie pissed me off!
Old 11-08-05, 03:06 PM

'Open Range'

Rental would have been sufficient for me.
Old 11-08-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No, I don't blind buy anything
Old 11-08-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts
House of Wax (05) is about it. Granted, a lot of my blind buys I wind up selling later, but that is typically around a year after I have bought them, and I enjoy them for what they are worth.

House of Wax was one that I sold about ten days after purchase and less than a week after first viewing.
Old 11-08-05, 03:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
No, I don't blind buy anything
Really? that must be a bit tough?
Old 11-08-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Really? that must be a bit tough?
Really? Why?

I have Direct TV, I have Tivo. I buy movies after I have had a chance to view them to see if they are worth repeat viewings. If so I buy them. I never walk into a store and decide I like a cover, actor or director and plunk down the cash.
Old 11-08-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
only a couple, and they were stuff I picked up from a local video store who was liquidating old stock for 99 cents per DVD.
Old 11-08-05, 08:40 PM

I like most schlocky films, so I don't regret stuff like xXx.

The ONE blind-buy I regret, and am generally embarrassed to own? Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course. Bought it because my wife and I love to watch Croc-hunter. The movie is an abomination though. I don't even want to use the disk as a coaster.
Old 11-08-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started a thread on this a while ago:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413562

Mine was Mystic River 3 disk. I watched it once but wasn't about to watch it again or listen to the soundtrack and stuff. I haven't done many blind buys (except Criterions).
Old 11-08-05, 08:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Mine was Mystic River 3 disk. I watched it once but wasn't about to watch it again or listen to the soundtrack and stuff.
That was a great movie but I can't imagine how 3 discs came out of it.

I can't think of any 3-disc'r that I've ever bought. At least any where 2 or more didn't comprise the movie.
Old 11-09-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I used to, until Netflix rolled around, and now I just "blind rent", as it's not nearly as expensive.

Either that, or movies that I'm on the fence about, I'll just ask for for Christmas or Birthday presents. That way, if it ends up sucking, at least I didn't pay for it. Somehow, that makes all the difference.
That's pretty much what I do as well. I was ending up with too many crappy blind buys, so I moved on to renting them first.
Old 11-09-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Probably 85% of my purchases these days are blind buys. My criteria for purchasing include:

1. the director
2. critics' reviews
3. DVD studio
4. high resale value

I'm pretty happy with most of the DVDs I buy.
Old 11-09-05, 01:05 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Really? Why?

I have Direct TV, I have Tivo. I buy movies after I have had a chance to view them to see if they are worth repeat viewings. If so I buy them. I never walk into a store and decide I like a cover, actor or director and plunk down the cash.
Good point. I don't have those. I've based most of mine on reviews, unfortunately I have been disapointed a few times. Having movies in my collection that I don't like bugs me.
Old 11-09-05, 10:12 AM

Dude where's my car?

At least it was from a Blockbuster PV sale
Old 11-09-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
That was a great movie but I can't imagine how 3 discs came out of it.

I can't think of any 3-disc'r that I've ever bought. At least any where 2 or more didn't comprise the movie.
Just so you know, the 3rd disc in the 3-disc 'Mystic River' is the soundtrack.

I've blind bought a few movies that I regret, but I have the bigger problem that I will blind-buy a movie and then not watch it even then. I would estimate at least 75% of my blind-buys (which aren't really that many), I still haven't watched.

Glancing through my collection, my biggest regret would be 'Beyond Therapy'; I bought it because it was Robert Altman (but also had a really good cast). I'm still glad to have all the Altman movies, but I wish I hadn't paid full price for it. I also didn't like 'Buckaroo Banzai' as much as I expected, but I got that for free.

Oddly, both of those movies feature Jeff Goldblum.
Old 11-09-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of my movies are blind buys and lately, past year or so, about 95% have been blind buys. I have disliked some movies; however, I never regretted the purchase. I don't have the time to view a movie prior to purchasing the DVD. I have about 250 movies and 20 season sets still unwatched. I purchase them, so I can watch them on my time schedule. Leisure time is my limiting factor.
Old 11-09-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When my list of wanted DVDs began to dwindle a couple of years ago, I started looking to other avenues for films, including low budget horror and foreign movies. As a result, I've had to purchase more than a few DVDs sight unseen. When I blind buy, I try to do so based on reading reviews and watching trailers. I almost never just wander into a B&M and buy a movie on a whim. I have gotten stuck with some stinkers, however, including:
  • The Convent - Zombie nuns in flourescent paint sounded cool, I guess...
  • Habitat - The trailer made it look like schlocky fun, but it was just schlock--and pan 'n' scam too.
  • The Breed - The description made me think of Equilibrium for some stupid reason. It was only $6.37 with the DDD 20% off though.
  • Brain Damage: Special Edition - I just can't get into it like Basket Case.
  • The Naked Truth - Low budget comedy that was crap.
  • The Animatrix - Maybe two of the total animated stories was worthwhile.
  • Six - I still don't know what the hell to make of this Thai DVD.
  • The Dead Next Door - Many consider this microbudget flick impressive. I'm not one of many.

That said, I've also bought some winners, including:
  • Ultraviolet
  • Dagon
  • Vidocq
  • There's Nothing Out There
  • Happiness of the Katakuris
  • Returner
  • Bloody Mallory
  • Lucky

I'm making my wish list for DDD as I write this. I have four already: Detour, Earth vs. the Spider, Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher, and That Little Monster.
Old 11-09-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spider-Man. Liked the director and cast, thought I'd enjoy it (hell, even collected Amazing Spider-Man when I was younger), but I just couldn't get into it.
Old 11-09-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to, and then I sold 'em all off. After seeing those meager returns, I'm much more careful with my purchases.
Old 11-09-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

under the mat and bride of chucky...

HORRID!
Old 11-09-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really. By nature, I'm not one of those people who enjoy movies that are typically critically-panned (OMG CONFORMO!), so when I get a DVD that I wind up not liking, it's not because it's bad, per say. I just didn't dig it. With that said, in those instances, I've either parted with it fairly quickly, shelved it, or given it a second spin. The last one can do wonders for changing your viewpoint of any given flick.

I cater to movies/DVDs that feature actors, directors, or scenarios I usually enjoy, so my bad blind buy experiences have traditionally been few and far between. Lost in Translation and 21 Grams are probably the only DVDs I've seen within the last six months that I didn't really feel.
Old 11-10-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I was unstoppable at picking blind buys. Never a dud. Then I bought Better Off Dead. Now I am more careful.
Old 11-10-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Probably 85% of my purchases these days are blind buys. My criteria for purchasing include:

1. the director
2. critics' reviews
3. DVD studio
4. high resale value

I'm pretty happy with most of the DVDs I buy.
Your post is pretty much how mine would have ended up like except I'd switch number 3 out with the disc(s) specs.

If the movie isn't up to par at least I make my money back or close to it.

I have a buddy who rents like 5 or 6 movies a month and usually they are ones I don't plan to buy so I'm able to check them out over there. Works out well.
Old 11-10-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a lot but a small handful of blind buys I regret. Luckily I've managed to offload most of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.