Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do alot of people buy dvd's and never open them?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do alot of people buy dvd's and never open them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't think it's right - morally, if not legally - to return a DVD to a store other than where you bought it.

And by your example, if you're returning a disc that you bought at, say, Circuit City, to Best Buy, and they don't have it and they give you store credit, then that's really, really wrong.

Yes, you can always return a damaged or defective disc, but you should do it where you bought it.

I've got a couple of comments to make about this forum postings.

Bare with me!

I think its funny how Morals come up about this.

I can completely understand where you might assume something like this. But in most cases when you purchase something from a retailer, say it sells out.

You may not open the product right away. But when you do open the product and at that time realize there is some sort of a defect.

What are you to do?

You might say, wait for another shipment of these titles to come in, and get on the waiting list with the store in question...

But when?

Most times unless its a largely released title. There is always that chance (more times then not) that they may never get that title back in.
(i.e, low-printed items)

Most times people dont want their money back, they want what they came in and originally purchased.

The store is not a swap meet, flea market, or discount book/video/cd store. Its a new full priced retail chain, So i exspect the item to be working properly with no defects.

Isnt that of the many ways most companies determine the cost of their products?

Most manufacturers have quality control personel to check for these issues, right?!

Well then how is it that there have been many of discs within the last 8 years that have been released on DVD, with some sort of defect to software.
(I'm not talking physical damage but software)

How many times have you opened a disc that was cool, but when you went to play, it would'nt recognize the disc, skip, pixalate, or be out of sync w/action on the screen?

Time has lapsed on the reciept, or I dont have one at all because of gift,thrown out, etc.

If I know that company 'X' down the street has the same item.

I know all return policies are the same with slight difference on dated cash returns.

I will return it there for EXCHANGE FOR THE SAME PRODUCT.

You see every retailer wants to keep a customer, no matter what the case. They also dont want to get a customer complaint call come into their District office. Its just one big headache.

Most if not all companies/retailers have a service they use for items that arent working or defective from the factory.They just send back to the said manufacturer, and get full credit for the item.

No harm done, and everyone leaves the situation happy and resolved.

You the comsumer gets your functioning product, The company continues a fruitful partnership with their valued customer also recieving credited for the malfunctioning item from the manufacturer.

The manufacturer keeps the distributor and retail chain from pulling their product from future lines.

So if anyone should be worried about MORALS it should be the manufacturers for either:

A. producing shotty products and or using degraded materials
B. Shipping in substandardized packaging
C. Underprinting product for the masses

We all just want to be happy.

Last edited by True_Story1011; 11-07-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Why buy a dvd and never open it? I know some of the out of print and valuable movies (early Disney's, Criterion, etc) are worth more un-opened, but why buy it and not watch it?
On my end, most un-opened DVDs in my collection are those of OOP/LE/Giftset. I pay for it, I own it and if I wanted to open it, I open it.

If the question/comment was:
"whats the use if you do not watch it"? Well I double/triple dip, and the regular/cheaper releases are those which I watch. And I dont care if I get negative comments since they are not the one who own what I own.

bottomline: You Own It, and you have all the freedom to do what you wanna do about it.

Originally Posted by xage
My small collection of DVDs (Collector's Set, Limited Edition, Giftset, Boxsets)

Thumbnail links coincide with how my dvd racks/cabinet looks like (currently there were three racks now in my home)

Old 11-07-05, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

I only have about 2 or 3 unopened, but they're upgrades I dbl dipped on. Whenever its something I never seen, that sucker gets ripped open and watched asap!
Old 11-07-05, 02:24 PM

I have maybe 5 unopened. It is just a matter of getting around to watching them. Right now I am holding off on opening and watching Looney Tunes Vol. 3 because I have 24 discs of Transformers, 5 discs of He-Man, Titanic Special features, and various other things to watch before I do. Bottom line: I buy opening week to take advantage of the better prices.
Old 11-07-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok.

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

This is more mind blowing than people who buy DVDs of films they hate!

I can understand buying a limited edition set or something and keeping it sealed, but only if you are doing it in hopes of the value going up down the line OR as long as you own a normal version of whatever movie the limited edition is of.

Now when it comes to buying just basic DVDs, stuff that will obviously never be worth anything, and never opening them?

Wow.
Old 11-07-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't!
Old 11-07-05, 02:58 PM

Nope. Have to open them within the 30 day window for refund/exchange, to make sure the discs are good. With the way that QA at the replication facilities has gone to sh*t these days, can't afford to not open something only to find out someday down the line that the discs are damaged/faulty.
Old 11-07-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts
I have dvds from back in '98 I've never opened. If a movie I want is released I buy it but don't open it until I feel like watching it, which could take years. Also I can tell what I've watched and what I haven't by whether it's open or not. I never open and start watching a tv series until all the seasons are out.
Old 11-07-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure my copy of EdTV has been sitting on my shelf, unopened, for the past 5 years.
Old 11-07-05, 04:11 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps factory seal guarantees freshness
Old 11-07-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
I have a question for all the dvd fans on here. Do alot of you buy dvd's and never open them? Me...when I buy a new dvd the first thing I do is open it to check the contents. My father owns over 500 dvd's and about half of them have yet to be opened. He mostly buys dvd's of movies he likes, he never buys one he has not seen. Why buy a dvd and never open it? I know some of the out of print and valuable movies (early Disney's, Criterion, etc) are worth more un-opened, but why buy it and not watch it?
I hope they do. I bought Twister a couple of years ago at BB and it didn't have the disc in it. Ever since then, I always do a shake test to make sure there is a disc in the box. It took a little talking on my part to convince them that the disc was not in the box when I opened it. It was about 1-2 weeks after a bought it... I'm not sure if I still had the receipt or not.
Old 11-07-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Like many here, I don't open 'em until I watch 'em.

And I have quite a few that are unopened.
Old 11-07-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xage
On my end, most un-opened DVDs in my collection are those of OOP/LE/Giftset. I pay for it, I own it and if I wanted to open it, I open it.

If the question/comment was:
"whats the use if you do not watch it"? Well I double/triple dip, and the regular/cheaper releases are those which I watch. And I dont care if I get negative comments since they are not the one who own what I own.

bottomline: You Own It, and you have all the freedom to do what you wanna do about it.
This is the perfect example of why I don't think VOD will EVER replace DVD/HD-DVD/BlueRay/whaterver. Bill Gates is just wrong when he said that HD-DVD is the "last physical medium".
Old 11-07-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
This is the perfect example of why I don't think VOD will EVER replace DVD/HD-DVD/BlueRay/whaterver. Bill Gates is just wrong when he said that HD-DVD is the "last physical medium".
Of course it will.

Then people will simply run around with their little portable device bragging about how many gigs of data they have accumulated. For some it is the acquisition of possessions not the viewing experience that matters.
Old 11-07-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Of course it will.

Then people will simply run around with their little portable device bragging about how many gigs of data they have accumulated. For some it is the acquisition of possessions not the viewing experience that matters.
Who said anything about being able to download the movie? VOD seeks to make you pay per viewing. That's what Gates and the studios would love to see. I suppose you could illegally make a copy of it (if you got around the copy protection schemes), but then you wind up with a physical medium again. And you wouldn't have all the cool collectible packaging (see the picure above of unopened DVD sets).

If all they wanted was "acquisition of possessions", they could do that now... just download the movies from the internet. There's something about being able to access your movies without being connected through a network that people just won't give up (me included). IMHO, of course.
Old 11-07-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

Now when it comes to buying just basic DVDs, stuff that will obviously never be worth anything, and never opening them?

Wow.
The world is a mind blowing place...I hear some people actually listen to Country music... Just.. WOW

I think of what could be missed is the 'intent" behind the unopening. I have every intention of watching each and every DVD I own, but there is now way I can keep up. I buy the ones that I choose to collect. So...I am not buying them to immediately watch them, but to collect them.

The gravy is that rainy day when ya crack open an AFI 100 film that you've never or rarely seen! I've never had a prob with defects, and DVDTalk.com alerts me to which ones are "globally" messed up and I have ta order a replacement. (Cleopatra, Back to the Future, etc)
Old 11-07-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
I have dvds from back in '98 I've never opened. If a movie I want is released I buy it but don't open it until I feel like watching it, which could take years.
Ditto! When I first started buying DVDs in 1998, I went a little nuts and really started accumulating them fast, on average about 5 a week. I kept it up for a long time until I finally regained control. I still buy them, but not nearly as many as I used to. As a result I'd guess about 60% of my 700+ dvds are still shrinkwrapped.

What really sucks is finding a DVD in a $5 bin, knowing that the copy you pre-ordered years ago for $15-20 is still shrinkwrapped at home on your shelf.
Old 11-07-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Ditto! When I first started buying DVDs in 1998, I went a little nuts and really started accumulating them fast, on average about 5 a week. I kept it up for a long time until I finally regained control. I still buy them, but not nearly as many as I used to. As a result I'd guess about 60% of my 700+ dvds are still shrinkwrapped.

What really sucks is finding a DVD in a $5 bin, knowing that the copy you pre-ordered years ago for $15-20 is still shrinkwrapped at home on your shelf.
Well said. I'd say about 50% of my 900+ are still unopened. It sucks when you find the cheapo copy of the disc you never opened, but it rocks every time you exchange an unopened copy for the SE that they released a year later.
Old 11-07-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes I see something on sale I want, and buy it.... but end up waiting a loooooong time before watching it.
Old 11-07-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scottall
If I opened them then I couldn't see the beautiful shrinkwrap sheen coming from my shelf.
You could just hit the spines with clearcoat lacquer...or maybe fingernail polish.
Old 11-07-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy most of my DVDs used in the pawn shops or on ebay or the likes, so when I do buy a new DVD it's always because it's something I wasn't willing to wait to get a better deal on down the road; hence, they usually get played the first weekend after I buy one. On the other hand I have several used titles I've yet to watch, but I watch several discs per week so I get around to them in time.
Old 11-07-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I open and check them out as soon as I get em, but as far as watching, I'm backlogged for years right now. I've been burned once or twice: a copy of The Big Lebowski that freezes and crashes at the moment The Dude meets Maude Lebowski, and those wonderful Universal Monster Legacy boxsets!
Old 11-07-05, 09:16 PM

I usually open them to see what is inside. I like to look at the disk and any contents.
I also do this to make sure the correct disk is inside and that it is not scratched or broken.
Old 11-07-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by freudian-slip
Well, I tend to wait to open new DVDs until I watch them. This has paid off for me several times. I have a lot of DVDs and I got a "deal" of some kind on most of them. Sometimes this means I have more movies than I can watch in a month's time (plus we rent from Blockbuster.com, so I tend to give new releases a view before the stuff I've purchased.) So, I still watch about 3 DVDs a week... so, I watch DVDs... but I might buy them faster than I can watch them initially. I'll get to each and every one, though. I'm an independent contractor - some months I am so busy I can't watch a single movie... other months I can watch 2 dozen. It all pans out in the end!

Anyway, several times my waiting to open a DVD has helped me when the studio announced the release of a new version. I either swapped the sealed version for the new release or I eBayed the sealed version and got more $$ because it was sealed. So, for me, I always wait to open a movie until I watch it. And as others have said, if it's defective, most stores will swap it for a good one.

I only buy what I want to own... so, I'll open it when I'm ready... and if they re-release a super-whammy edition in the meantime, then I just don't take the hit on a double-dip.

Ditto. I currently have about 25 unopened DVD's. I'll open them when I go to watch them. To me it makes for a better experience too. I'd rather open the DVD up right before we watch it which leads to the whole viewing experience, then rip it open in the car in some parking lot.
Old 11-07-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can almost see the logic behind not opening a DVD if you're not going to watch it for awhile. What I don't understamd is people who use a razor to cut the security tape to open a DVD & leave the tape on the case... a whole lot of used DVDs that I've bought are just like that, too tacky.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.