Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I've got a problem and I'm gonna fix it- Way too many of my DVDs haven't been watched

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I've got a problem and I'm gonna fix it- Way too many of my DVDs haven't been watched

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the moment, my "purchased and need to watch" stack is about 8.
Old 11-07-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im usually good in that if they are blind buys, I pretty much watch them immediately to make sure I just didnt waste my money. Its usually the ones I have seen before that go unwatched for a while until the moment grabs and Im like, "yeah I think I want to watch that now."
Old 11-07-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around 20% of my 1000 are unwatched - at least by me that is - I buy a lot of used. I have been actively working to reduce it and it is slowly helping. By summer I hope to have it down to just TV series.
Old 11-07-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I was at 75 and I just going through the Hs. And I have a wishlist of maybe 50 DVDs set up for the Sale We Must Not Mention.

I think what I will do is have a stand for unwatched DVDs and I can only pick movies out of those.
Old 11-07-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a fever!
And the only prescription is...

More Cowbell!!!

BTW, I have about 15 sealed DVDs that need to be watched, so welcome to the club.

That 2 disc Color Purple & Amadues sure looked like great deals, too bad I have no interest in watching them!
Old 11-07-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Im usually good in that if they are blind buys, I pretty much watch them immediately to make sure I just didnt waste my money. Its usually the ones I have seen before that go unwatched for a while until the moment grabs and Im like, "yeah I think I want to watch that now."
This mirrors my situation. Any blind buy gets watched within a few days of purchase, whereas something I saw in the theater only, say, three months ago will end up on the shelf for a later time -- which is precisely why I don't buy many new releases these days. Why spend the full price to have it go unwatched when I can wait until I do want to see it again and pay substantially less?

Having a region-free player is a bit of a two-eged sword. I find myself ordering a good number of overseas titles as blind buys, which can get kind of pricey, so I've been considering a Nicheflix or GreenCine subscription as an alternative. Too bad the "need" to own these cool things not available in the US tends to overpower any rational thought process!
Old 11-07-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about 40-50 of unwatched dvds. That number has dropped over the last week or so.

With all of the talk about how retail stores are going to be aggressive this year and offering cheap prices on dvds, especially recent titles like "Kingdom of Heaven", etc., there's no way I'll be slowing down my spending. Also, the next 2 months have too many must have releases coming out: Seinfeld 5 & 6, War of the Worlds, 40 Year Old Virgin, King Kong Collection, Sin City: SE, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Frighteners: SE, Andy Griffith 4, plus several more.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 11-07-05 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

November and December are always bad on the wallet. I'm always looking out for ways to reduce the buy list (*cough* B&B edits *cough*).
Old 11-07-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I also use DVDProfiler to track my watched/unwatched/etc. Here's the breakdown.

Total: 1403
Unwatched Total: 137
Completed (all features watched): 363
How do you track this with DVDProfiler?
Old 11-07-05, 09:57 AM
Banned

Personally I find myself with way too many tv box sets that have not been watched. Example is Three's Company. I own the first 4 seasons and I watched one episode which was the unseen pilot. I know for a fact I have seen all the Three's Company episodes so why do I bother buying the dvd sets? I love to buy multiple disk sets, from movies and tv shows, but I have just too many dvd's to watch and not enough time to watch them!
Old 11-07-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am all caught up now, ready to buy some more. While catching up I realized that I've purchased some really shitty movies.
Old 11-07-05, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I am all caught up now, ready to buy some more. While catching up I realized that I've purchased some really shitty movies.
Do you buy alot of movies you have never seen? I find myself buying 99% movies & tv shows I have seen. If there is something I am not sure of I rent first or borrow from a friend. There's just too many dvd's out there and not enough time/money to buy them all!
Old 11-07-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How do you track this with DVDProfiler?
I use custom tags for everything, and input in all the features into the "Personalize/Notes" section. If I watch the main feature (movie, documentary), then I will uncheck my "Unwatched" tag, and also set the watched date that's built in. After I have watched *ALL* the features (featurettes, commentaries, etc), then I will check my custom "Completed" tag.

It's a little extra work, but it's the only way I could keep track of everything I've seen and need to see, and what features are still left on the plate.
Old 11-07-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've got 20 unwatched out of 512. The majority of those are movies from box sets I haven't completed watching like the Hammer Horror, 9-disc Billy Wilder Collection, Astair/Rogers, etc a few are purchases made within the last couple of weeks. I tend to watch newly purchased stuff first and fill in with the box sets as the mood strikes me. No longer having a Netflix subscription really helped bring my unwatched list down. This weekend, I went to Ameoba records in Hollywood and bought 7 LD and 3 dvds so the list just got a little longer.
Old 11-07-05, 10:35 AM
Tek

OMG! You folks make me feel so... sane..LOL!!

I have (only?) 318 DVDs... No "blind-buys"... but two that were recommended by my 22yr. old Boy (are those actually "blind-buys?).
One of those two,"Hostage", was my only unwatched.. until this past week.
The second, "Alone In The Dark" was watched, right-away, and has since served to keep my coffee cup drippings off my Computer Desk.
Old 11-07-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Do you buy alot of movies you have never seen? I find myself buying 99% movies & tv shows I have seen. If there is something I am not sure of I rent first or borrow from a friend. There's just too many dvd's out there and not enough time/money to buy them all!
Not really. Most that I haven't seen were either recommendations from family/friends or gifts. Like this piece of shit Unbreakable.. I havent been able to get through like a half hour of that one. But movies like that are few & far between.
Old 11-07-05, 10:41 AM
Banned

Yes sir, there are definitely some crack pots (like myself) out there who buy more than we need. Maybe as I get oder I will get wiser..I was going to buy the movie Crash last week. Over the weekend a friend let me borrow it. I watched it and returned it to my friend. I enjoyed the movie very much but then I realized I would probably never watch the movie again so why buy it? I must own about 50-75 movies I bought, watched and never watched again. That to me is a waste of money...
Old 11-07-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I used to have over 500 that I hadn't watched. I started watching while I was playing games (like World of Warcraft which only requires half attention anyway) while turning the sound off on the game. I also slowed way down on buying. I'm down to about 80 I have yet to watch--they're all either foreign language or silent so I can't watch them while playing. Now I can't stand to play WoW without a movie on.

As far as blind buys I have tons of them--not new movies generally, since I go to a movie almost every week, but older ones that the only way to see them is on DVD/home video.
Old 11-07-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mattressman
Way too many of my DVD's haven't been watched. I'm starting to take part in so many blind buys that I'm becoming overwhelmed by the amount of unseen DVD's I own. There hasn't been a thread on this in awhile so I thought I'd revive the topic. Seriously, how many unwatched DVD's do you own?
I'm thinking about temporarily canceling my Netflix and holding off on buying any DVD's I haven't seen(unless of course, there's an unbeatable deal, haha) until I've watched all of my unwatched DVD's. I've got a major problem. I just keep buying and buying. I spend way too much of the little money I make on DVD's and I'm sure many of you guys can relate to that. I try to think of myself less of a consumer whore and more of just a big film dork. I've gotta hold off until I watch all of these movies. If I don't make it by the end of December it will be my New Year's resolution.
I just came back from Hollywood Video where I bought Nobody Knows, Layer Cake and Hotel Rwanda. I haven't seen any of 'em. I'll see if that'll be the last for a little while.
Watch Layer Cake tonight and it'll change your mind, reminding you of why you started blind-buying films in the first place. I agree, though...I've often considered slowing down on my purchases, but then I'll see some new, intriguing titles in the clearance rental 3 for $20 section, and that goes out the window.

-JP
Old 11-07-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God, I don't even want to think about how many unwatched discs I have. It's gotten progressively worse over the past couple of years as I started getting into TV-on-DVD.
Old 11-07-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
I've got a fever!
And the only prescription is...

More Cowbell!!!
Doug, this quote had me laughing to tears.

I'd say I probably have a good 50 DVDs I haven't watched yet.
Old 11-07-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I almost never blind buy, but I do blind trade. I have a large stack of unwatched DVDs, but most of them are from trades and DVDs that I got for review and am interested in, but I knew wouldn't be running.

Right now I do have some DVDs that I paid for that I haven't watched, thanks to the cheap Warner Bros TV sets. Every once in awhile a friend loans me a DVD set. I appreciate it, but at the same time I want to tell them "you're not helping!"
Old 11-07-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually love people who blind buy films.. because most times you end up finding their films at FYE or Media Play used.

So if anyone has a used Salo:CC from about 6 years ago unwatched for sale I'm interested! lol
Old 11-07-05, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus

I think what I will do is have a stand for unwatched DVDs and I can only pick movies out of those.
That's actually what I do. Of course I don't nearly have the numbers some of you guys have and only 1 or 2 have been blind buys (Scarface comes to mind, don't ask how I never saw that). Most movies I would blind buy I see in the theater. I also try to make it a point to watch everything so I know I don't have a defective disc. I know once I did have a bad disc that needed to be replaced.
Old 11-07-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Seriously, how many unwatched DVD's do you own?
None!

I buy what I like to watch repeatedly and I watch them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.