Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's with all the "charging more for the 2-disk version" crap lately? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's with all the "charging more for the 2-disk version" crap lately? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Lurking
Has any looked at Amazon's prices on The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (R-Rated Edition) (2005) - $15.98
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Unrated Edition) (2005) - $15.98
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Unrated Widescreen Edition) (2005) - $20.99

It look like you you will be paying an extra $5.01 just to get OAR
Nope, I won't be. That sucker will stay on the shelf in all its ratios if thats the game they intend to play.

Notice that they're selling the R rated version for $15.98- that's likely the one that was in the theatres. Looks like they're testing all sorts of waters these days to see what will sell and what won't with the DVD fanatic.
Old 11-06-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
I think you hit upon it with "They had us spoiled," although I would abandon the past-tense. We're still spoiled. But then again, so are the studios. DVD has spoiled everyone.
We are indeed, to the point where many are disdainful of even the best looking and sounding new releases, holding off till the 'next big thing' comes down the pike, in this case HD discs. The studios are apparently looking at more and more angles to sqeeze every nickel out of the standard DVD format in anticipation of it becoming an even cheaper selling format once HD discs are available.

It truly has everyone on both sides spoiled, the studios seeing phenomenal profits and puzzled at what they say is a falling market (for lots of obvious reasons) and the consumer able to buy movies released 3 months ago or 50 years ago that look and sound as good as most have ever seen them for, in some cases, as little as a ten dollar bill.
Old 11-06-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightmaster
Notice that they're selling the R rated version for $15.98- that's likely the one that was in the theatres. Looks like they're testing all sorts of waters these days to see what will sell and what won't with the DVD fanatic.
I think it looks much more like Amazon hasn't properly priced a release that is about 5 weeks away. I doubt there's any thought behind it. By the time the release date gets closer, Amazon will line up the prices correctly.

DJ
Old 11-06-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Another thing that sucks in some of these cases (BB, CATCF) is that the single-disc version lacks a commentary or other substantial extras, so if you want some decent extras you have to buy the 2-disc version. With Mystic River a while back, they actually witheld the commentary from the single-disc version, so you had to buy the expensive version (with price-raising CD soundtrack) to get any extras at all. At least with The Wizard of Oz there are plenty of extras in the 2-disc version, and with Cinderella Man you get some extras with the single-disc version.
Old 11-06-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Some of the reasons they might be doing it this way...

- believe it or not, the "average" person (which DOESN'T include most of the folks who post here) doesn't give a crap about special features, and only wants to see the movie. So the studio is aiming that single disc, with limted features version at them.
I believe this rationale is considered MOST sensible to the studio honchos.
Old 11-06-05, 08:20 PM

As a suggestion, everybody check their local FYE, Strawberries, or whatever... Usually they have these 2-disc special editions for $2 more than the regular edition after rebates. Usually a reliable, pretty fast turnaround time for them, too!
Old 11-07-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went ahead and pre-ordered "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Deluxe Edition" from DDD for $18.76. It shipped today. Looks like they'll get my business on overly priced 2-disc sets.
Old 11-07-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AdamComic2
As a suggestion, everybody check their local FYE, Strawberries, or whatever... Usually they have these 2-disc special editions for $2 more than the regular edition after rebates. Usually a reliable, pretty fast turnaround time for them, too!
That's what I've been doing, too. I got my Batman Begins:SE there, where they had plenty of copies of it - yet I'd read in other posts here where people were having a hard time finding one.
Old 01-22-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why are two-disc sets so much more expensive now???

I hope this isn't a reposted topic, but I've got to vent. It used to be that a film would come out in a special edition, often with two discs, averaging around 19.99 (or 15.99 during the first week at Best Buy).
However, I'm noticing a trend of releasing a bare-bones disc at this price and then a two disc set for 30 or 40 dollars! This price used to be if it was a 3 or 4 disc set, but now these overpriced sets only have 2 discs and don't have any more material than special editions of a year or two ago that went for the lower price. But the're packaged in a slightly bigger box, as if to fool us by looking like a 3 or 4 disc set.
Examples: Cinderella Man- why is this two disc set going for 35 dollars on Amazon?? War of the Worlds (2005)- Bare Bones is like 20.00, but the TWO-discer was like 40 bucks!
This is a really crummy trend because I don't like buying bare-bones discs, but I refuse to spend 35-40 dollars on a 2-disc set that isn't Criterion. So, I'm buying far fewer DVD's than I used to because of this bizarre 2-tier system.
I could get it if the bare bones discs got cheaper, but they cost the same that 2 disc sets used to cost.
AAAH!! (sorry, rant)
Old 01-22-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why are two-disc sets so much more expensive now???
'Cause they know there are suckers like me who will buy it no matter what.

Thats right...it's all my fault.

Old 01-22-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't like it either, and for the most part, I haven't played ball. As long as the A/V quality is the same, I'm fine with the single-disc version, especially with HD on the way.

Another trend I don't like is what I might call the "de-cheapening" of releases. They take a title that has been out for a while and has gotten big price drops, and then they add a few extras and/or an advertisement for something related (like a remake or a sequel or something). Now, it's a new release with a higher price tag. (See Jumangi, The Producers, Godzilla) The A/V quality is the same, but now if you want the movie you have to pay twice as much.
Old 01-22-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blame Wal-Mart for their $5.50 bargain bins. Sure, it encouraged Joe Sixpack to jump on the DVD bandwagon, but now we have 1) true collector's edition for higher prices, and 2) non-OAR becoming a necessity in the eyes of studios--to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Old 01-22-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I hope this isn't a reposted topic
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444084
Old 01-22-06, 10:21 PM
Banned

Wait a couple of months later for a price reduction.
Old 01-22-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't like it either, and for the most part, I haven't played ball. As long as the A/V quality is the same, I'm fine with the single-disc version, especially with HD on the way.
Actually, if you buy either release, you are playing ball. The studios are betting that most people are going to be happy with the single-disc release, and offer the 2-disc for those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for extras. I think that as DVDs have become more mainstream, studios have discovered that less people care about the extras, they just want the film. Making seperate releases means that they can offer a lower price point at a lower cost to themselves.

It's akin to how studios sometimes downgrade DVDs later after release, like the 1-disc DVDs of Fight Club or Cast Away, or non-SEs of Terminator and Bowling for Columbine. Or akin to seperate SEs that come out months later, like the Sin City SE, just at the same time.

On the plus side, the 1-disc editions seem to be dropping in price much more rapidly these days. I've seen the Batman Begins 1-disc at Target for $13.78, only 3 months after release.

Another trend I don't like is what I might call the "de-cheapening" of releases. They take a title that has been out for a while and has gotten big price drops, and then they add a few extras and/or an advertisement for something related (like a remake or a sequel or something). Now, it's a new release with a higher price tag. (See Jumangi, The Producers, Godzilla) The A/V quality is the same, but now if you want the movie you have to pay twice as much.
At least they don't make the original release OOP first, like Disney often does. With Jumangi and The Producers, the original releases are still available for purchase online, with the new Deluxe DVD of The Producers selling for less than the original SE.
Old 01-22-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Wait a couple of months later for a price reduction.
I think the inevitable price reduction (of the one disc editions, usually) has alot to do with the prices being raised on the two disc sets. The studios are trying to recoup some of the money they know will be lost 6 months down the road when they drop the price on many titles.

As was mentioned by another poster, regardless of which version you buy, if you buy it when it's first released you're playing ball...because they're still making what they hope to make on that title, rather than what they'll settle for when they drop the price due to less demand for it. I'm very picky about the titles I'll pay release date prices on because they're bound to be had for less, assuming they're mainstream title releases anyway.
Old 01-22-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
It is different if two disks sets were always more expensive, since many regular releases have been two disks sets in the past at the current price of the one disk edition it can make people feel they are charging too much. (Which is not surprising.)

I read the other topic and I go with it once being a given. If the two disk was at the current cost of the one disk edition and the one disk edition lower then the two disk, then it may not be an issue.
Back when I first started frequenting DVDTalk, it used to be a given that online stores would offer insane discounts on new DVDs (3 for $1). Then the dot-com burst happened, and the only survivors where places like Amazon, which offers nice discounts at times, but nowhere near what it used to be.

Back before DVDs existed, it used to be a given that if you wanted a SE release of a film, you'd be paying sometimes upwards of $100 for a laserdisc release.

Things change. In this case, for the DVD enthusiast, it seems like a change for the worse, since we are paying more for what used to be a given. I don't see any way to affect this change though, and at least we still are getting the extras-loaded SE. Complaining about it just makes us look like cantankerous elders longing for "the good old days."

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-23-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 11:00 PM

This does seem to happen a lot now but it is the opposite marketing strategy that I don't get which is also very common now; which is to release a single disc and a deluxe set that is only a couple bucks more. In the past couple months I can think of Polar Express, Life Aquatic, Lord of War, as some one mentioned earlier Batman Begins. These all had a barebones version and usaully for two or three dollars more a 2 disc set. I could never figure out why people would still pick up the barebones when for 2 bucks more they could get a better set.
Old 01-23-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$$$$$$. Greed consumes us all.
Old 01-23-06, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The difference is usually more than 2 or 3 bucks.

When Batman Begins came out, the single disc was $15.99 at BB, while the 2-disc set was 22.99. Polar Express was about the same. The single disc sets become loss leaders, while the deluxe sets do not.

Sometimes you get lucky and find the deluxe set cheap (Batman Begins was cheap at Amazon, Fry's put the Polar Express 2-Disc on sale for $13.99), but it's not often enough.
Old 01-23-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For most titles, the single disc is around $28.99 retail and the 2-disc is around $30.99, yet the b&m stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will only put the 1-disc on sale and not discount the 2-disc, so you can blame them for alot of the pricing. Because the way I and many others see it, if you discount the 1-disc to $14.99, then the 2-disc should be $16.99 on release week...not the absurd $22.99
Old 01-23-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
That's what I've been doing, too. I got my Batman Begins:SE there, where they had plenty of copies of it - yet I'd read in other posts here where people were having a hard time finding one.
I ended up picking up the SE of Batman Begins (w/ book) at Media Play a few weeks ago for $16.79. That was the price with 40% off. I guess it pays to be patient.
Old 01-23-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
For most titles, the single disc is around $28.99 retail and the 2-disc is around $30.99, yet the b&m stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will only put the 1-disc on sale and not discount the 2-disc, so you can blame them for alot of the pricing. Because the way I and many others see it, if you discount the 1-disc to $14.99, then the 2-disc should be $16.99 on release week...not the absurd $22.99
It might have something to do with the discount structure the retailers get.

The two-disc SE might have a lower discount margin than the single-disc releases.
Old 01-23-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No kidding.

Amazon.com prices:

Panic Room: 3-disc edition [Sony] - $35.99 (two years old)
Black Hawk Down: 3-disc edition [Sony] - $35.99 (three years old)
Master & Commander: Collector's Edition [Fox] - $31.99

And then Warner has Ben Hur (4 discs) for under $30, Gone with the Wind (4 discs) for under $20...
Old 01-23-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also sucks when they start putting the DD-EX and DTS tracks only on the 2-disc SE (a'la Lord of War). The single disc has no extras so it had nothing to do with space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.