Reload this Page >

EROS (Feb.7)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

EROS (Feb.7)

Old 11-04-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EROS (Feb.7)

Warner have finally set a date for the R1 release of Eros. With a doubt this would be a must-buy disc for me as I am not so happy with the current R3 version.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...=r%3D0%26s%3D1

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-04-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 12:55 PM

I am excited with this release ..., on a sidenote - does it mean we can expect a Warner release of Antonioni's Passenger, any rumours/inside-info anyone ??
Old 11-04-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, I almost bought the R3 from CD-Wow, but then they raised the price. Guess I'll wait for the R1.

What's wrong with the R3 anyway?
Old 11-04-05, 04:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wanted to watch this movie in the theater since I heard about it last year. Did I miss the theatrical release or this movie went straight to video?
Old 11-04-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
What's wrong with the R3 anyway?
Nothing. The R3 still beats the R1.

The HK R3 has:

1) Inspiration of Eros - Wong Kar Wai
2) To perform the whole life of a woman in 40 minutes - Gong Li
3) From a stranger to an excellent tutor with Wong Kar Wai ? Chang Chen
4) DTS

Image wise this has to be compared, though.

Last edited by Dane; 11-04-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
With a doubt this would be a must-buy disc for me as I am not so happy with the current R3 version.
Why not?

I like the first two films, but I doubt I will re-buy this. The R3 is perfectly adequate.
Old 11-04-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from davisdvd

Old 11-04-05, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ftsoh
I wanted to watch this movie in the theater since I heard about it last year. Did I miss the theatrical release or this movie went straight to video?
You missed the theatrical release. According to Boxofficemojo, during its widest release it was only at 16 theaters.
Old 11-04-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait...I've been wanting to see this for a while.

-JP
Old 11-05-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dane
Nothing. The R3 still beats the R1.
Do you actually own the double Mei Ah set and can speciafically comment on it...or are you simply making a generic remark? I ask because I do own the set and aside from the extras (which I am not fascinated with) the image is slightly above-average. Blown out through a digital projector the main feature showcases a substantial amount of softness (most noticeable in Kar-Wai's segment). Obviously until the R1-Warner release comes out any final comments will be dismissed on this forum but I firmly stand behind my claim above that the R3 disc is of average quality (the same could be said about Kar-Wai's 2046/Mei Ah disc which next to the UK disc simply looks poor). Hopefully by February I will have the ability to take screen captures...so let's just say that "I will talk to you then...".

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-05-05, 12:35 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvdisoil
I am excited with this release ..., on a sidenote - does it mean we can expect a Warner release of Antonioni's Passenger, any rumours/inside-info anyone ??
A new print is currently doing the rounds of theatres. Portland, OR, gets it in a couple of weeks...so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 11-05-05, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes and no. I have the Mei Ah single-disc release, which is Region 0 by the way. I agree the image looks to be just above average. However, I have seen much worse come from R3, and a lot better, of course.

As for my claim the Region 0 beats the Region 1 still has to be compared. Will you have the honor?
Old 11-05-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jamieoni
A new print is currently doing the rounds of theatres. Portland, OR, gets it in a couple of weeks...so I wouldn't be surprised.
it's playing in denver right now. i think this is probably indicative of a near-future release.
Old 11-05-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dane
e.
As for my claim the Region 0 beats the Region 1 still has to be compared. Will you have the honor?
If I get the R1 disc through DVDTALK I will run a detailed comparison, absolutely!!

Though with WB's record I can not see how they would not beat Mei Ah which again has a very soft look and even noticeable digital noise. So, let's wait and see...

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-14-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

maybe a new thread needs to start, but:

passenger dvd is up at amazon. hurrah!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 11-14-05, 10:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
why did this take so long to get released - usually Warner's is pretty good on releasing newer films within a shorter theatre to video window of time. (except 'Duma')
Old 11-14-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
why did this take so long to get released - usually Warner's is pretty good on releasing newer films within a shorter theatre to video window of time. (except 'Duma')

Forget about why...be more concerned with whether or not this will be an uncut version. The majors have once again started using digital manipulation (wait until I post my review of Lila Says)...From what I see so far it looks like EROS will be an R-rated version....which definitely does not sit well with me (of course until we see the disc we should not make any negative statements).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-14-05, 01:47 PM

Forget about why...be more concerned with whether or not this will be an uncut version. The majors have once again started using digital manipulation (wait until I post my review of Lila Says)...From what I see so far it looks like EROS will be an R-rated version....which definitely does not sit well with me (of course until we see the disc we should not make any negative statements).

Ciao,
Pro-B
wait, you lost me, I thought this was released theatrically in the US with a R-rating - or was it unrated?
Old 11-14-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
wait, you lost me, I thought this was released theatrically in the US with a R-rating - or was it unrated?
Giles...I am heading in a completely different direction...Geoff just sent me the review disc of Lila Says (beautiful, beautiful film...I even went as far as buying a Dutch non-English friendly DVD of it)...there is digital blurring all over it...on erotic shots of comics mind you.....what the hell...what's the purpose of having a rating system if you are going to cheat with blurring. Now let's see what happens with Eros (different studio I know) but this is a brand "new trend" for me.

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
by the way...I think I know what your taste in music is...you should run and see Lila Says...the soundtrack is like big, ongoing, Buddha Bar mix...beautiful! It is like Beth Orton meets Everything But The Girl meets Massive Attack meets...God knows what Persian artists you could come up with.
Old 11-14-05, 04:46 PM

ps
by the way...I think I know what your taste in music is...you should run and see Lila Says...the soundtrack is like big, ongoing, Buddha Bar mix...beautiful! It is like Beth Orton meets Everything But The Girl meets Massive Attack meets...God knows what Persian artists you could come up with.

cool, sounds fascinating to me.
Old 11-14-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is digital blurring all over it...on erotic shots of comics mind you.....what the hell...what's the purpose of having a rating system if you are going to cheat with blurring. Now let's see what happens with Eros (different studio I know) but this is a brand "new trend" for me.
What did they blur out? I don't recall any full-frontal male nudity in Eros. Full-frontal female nudity in a non-sexual context (e.g. women prancing around nude on the beach) seems to still be within R-rated territory for the MPAA.
Old 11-14-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What did they blur out? I don't recall any full-frontal male nudity in Eros. Full-frontal female nudity in a non-sexual context (e.g. women prancing around nude on the beach) seems to still be within R-rated territory for the MPAA.
Josh:

I am talking about Lila Says....(a most recent example of a US-DVD that has been given R rating and consequently "adjusted" for the liking of the censors)

Pro-b
Old 11-14-05, 08:38 PM

Josh:

I am talking about Lila Says....(a most recent example of a US-DVD that has been given R rating and consequently "adjusted" for the liking of the censors)

Pro-b
this sounds like a similiar situation over the film Bear Cub, that was released theatrically unrated knowing full well it would have been brandished with a NC-17 rating and then submitted to the MPAA, cut and awarded an R-rating for Home video and video stores like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video.
Old 11-14-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I know. I'm wondering what sort of things got blurred out that you think might also get blurred out in Eros. There isn't much blur-worthy nudity in Eros. I haven't seen Lila Says.
Old 11-15-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am not an industry-insider and do not know what the criteria these fokls follow is. In Lila Says (an excellent film!!) to which I sent the review earlier tonight the studio blurred almost 15 seconds (perhaps a bit more) of a fraction of the film where Lila shows her friend a comics book (a French story book) where you see, or I shall say you are supposed to see, an ancient story which conveys the sexual act between a girl and two men. This is not a fraction of the film where you "see" three human beings engaged in a sexual act...this is a comics book!!
You could read my review where I specifically addressed the studio but I find this to be a blatant example of censorship of the worst kind the film industry has seen in recent years. The blur splits the image about half in half (half the screen) then moves on to specific spots. Am I to believe that a comics book will shatter the foundations of America? I wonder what would happen if one of these so-called censors walks into Museo Del Prado and see a Rembrandt...or read an early Balzac. This is lunacy!!

Not only am I upset I wonder what to expect from these folks as they are preparing to "celebrate" Almodovar next year with a deserving set. Either way I don't have a crystal ball to tell everyone what Eros would look like but I think that it is certainly a good idea to keep film afficionados aware that someone, somewhere, is clearly having the power to adjust "unconventional" cinema.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-15-05 at 03:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.