Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Boiled CC OOP bootleg or not?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-03-05, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm counting on those of you who have the original store-bought Hard Boiled Criterion Collection DVDs. I've checked out the old posts about this topic, and I'm STILL not sure if the one I just bought is legit or not. Damn those bootleggers for doing such a confusing job. Anyways, I purchased a Hard Boiled DVD off of eBay a while ago, and that was easier to tell that it was indeed a bootleg. This time I bought a copy in a used DVD store. The case was nice and worn, and the bottom of the cover was even a little dog-eared. I saw these as being signs of a legit DVD. But when I got home and checked it out further, I saw that the cover did not have rounded corners (not sure if this is normal for early CC's or not), and also the main thing is that the consistency of the paper seemed REALLY thin compared to other CC DVDs I have. The disc doesn't have a white ring or anything, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for in regard to the "nimbus logo" on the disc ring. If there's supposed to be one, I couldn't find it. Well, the people who run the store are nice and most definitely didn't know it was fake if it is, and I'm sure it won't be a problem to return it if it is a bootleg. But please help me out if you can. Thanks!
Old 11-03-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the record, it'd probably be best to post in one of these threads as opposed to starting a new one. I can understand the intent (especially if you need to print a thread out to prove to the workers at the store that it's a bootleg), but I figured I'd bring it to your attention.

-JP
Old 11-03-05, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 copies (both store bought, one online from a reputable [now defunct though ] etailer (DVDexpress or Reel IIRC) and the other from Best Buy), neither has a white ring. One has a clear hub the other is reflective, both have a holographic serial#/logos on the side opposite of the cover art around the ring. So unless someone returned a bootleg that I was resold as new/legit it looks like there might have been multiple pressings.

Last edited by nemein; 11-03-05 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info! Any ideas on thickness of the insert/cover? This is REALLY thin, so much that when you barely press on the back of the DVD case, you can feel the impression of the indentation of the plastic that holds the disc. That's the thing that really seemed to stand out between my other CC DVDs. Thanks again guys for such quick service!
Old 11-03-05, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both of mine seem to be fairly regular stock so I'm not sure about that... As far as feeling the impression that seems to be true for most of the cases I have around here (to some extent or another).
Old 11-04-05, 12:00 AM

Thanks to the links you gave me NatrlBornThrllr - I was able to figure out where to look for the nimbus logo - but I didn't see it on my disc. I'm pretty sure at this point that it is a bootleg. I'm kind of surprised that Criterion's site doesn't have more info about this - as rampant as DVD bootlegs appear to be, you'd think they'd wanna give enough info so people can tell the difference. Thanks again for all the help guys!
Old 11-04-05, 08:38 AM

A few other things --

Is the "The Criterion Collection" logo (long black strip underneath center of disc) on the disc black of grey? Black is an indication of a legit disc.

Did you put the disc into your DVD-ROM to see if DVD Profiler recognizes it?

Also on the computer, verify that it is dual-layered -- Hard Boiled is a dual-layered disc.

-- Jim
Old 11-04-05, 08:52 PM

Well, I just re-examined the DVD. And indeed I did find the "nimbus" logo. I had been looking for one that looked like the one in the other thread - which is apparently irregular and not the normal "italic" style. Man, it's difficult to tell that it says Nimbus, but it definitely is, reverse and backwards. This is because I have one with a mirrored center ring. I checked the disc for the black under the criterion logo - and it was black and not grey. And furthermore, there is a video store that has had Hard Boiled CC since it came out, and I was able to chek on that and compare with mine - and it was an exact match. I'm positive their's was original because it even had an extremely early Criterion catalog still in it. But the main factor for me was that the paper used on the insert on their's was that same thin paper as mine. I suppose early pressings might have had a different paper used? So now, I'm pretty positive that it IS REAL. Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 11-04-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear it.

-JP
Old 11-04-05, 10:22 PM

My copy of Hard Boiled has the same thin paper that you describe for the insert and cover art. I purchased it used and it has all the signs of an authentic copy( Nimbus Logos, mirrored ring, barcode). It even had the early Criterion booklet of the first eleven Criterion films.