Reload this Page >

Region-free, PAL format DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-03-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a German-released version of the stage musical "Elizabeth" that's being released soon in a "Region-free, PAL format DVD" -- is this something that would play on most regular, Region 1 DVD players? Thanks.
Old 11-03-05, 03:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes if your player supports PAL->NTSC conversion.

Also, you can play the DVD on a PC, since most DVD software player can handle both NTSC and PAL formats.
Old 11-03-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eau
Yes if your player supports PAL->NTSC conversion.
Which "most regular, Region 1 DVD players" do not do. So, the answer to bookcase3's question is "no."

DJ
Old 11-03-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I worry about trying this on my computer (I have an iMac) because it'll recognize this as not being Region 1, and although it allows you to change regions, it'll do so only a few times before it won't let you change it again. I'll have to check the manual to my DVD player this evening, but from djtoell's post, it's seeming unlikely that it'll do so.
Old 11-03-05, 03:43 PM

If the disc is region free, you don't have to change regions on your dvd-rom.
Old 11-03-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
I worry about trying this on my computer (I have an iMac) because it'll recognize this as not being Region 1, and although it allows you to change regions, it'll do so only a few times before it won't let you change it again. I'll have to check the manual to my DVD player this evening, but from djtoell's post, it's seeming unlikely that it'll do so.
This DVD has no region coding, so you don't need to "change regions" on your player or do anything...
Old 11-03-05, 04:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVD region is one thing. PAL/NTSC format is another.

Since your disc is region free, your player/dvd-rom won't lock up because you are not trying to play a disc of a different region.

Now, most R1 DVD players do not support PAL color format, so your player would lock up (because of color system incompatibility as opposed to region coding limit).

So, your best bet is to play the disc on your iMac. You don't need to change the region on your DVD drive in order to watch that region free disc though.
Old 11-03-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another way to think about Region 0 or Region-Free discs is that they are All-Region discs. They can be played in a player or drive set to any region. The only hudle is whether the video format (NTSC v. PAL) itself is playable on the hardware. I don't know what DVD software you'd be using on your iMac to watch the disc, but your computer should have no problem displaying the PAL format.

DJ
Old 11-03-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All Apple computers with DVD-ROM drives are capable of playing PAL-encoded DVDs. I've played numerous Region 0 PAL discs on my iBook G4 with no problems (using the Apple DVD Player program).