Reload this Page >

The most formidable sticker ever: "Property of Blockbuster" Label on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-31-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, How would one conquer this one?! I bought Criterion's Carnival of Souls used at Blockbuster and both DVDs have a label attached to the label side that is transparent except for a big rectangle that says "Property of Blockbuster" and the following statement: "Warning! Removal of this label will cause permanent damage if removed." I've seen similar stickers before but smaller and just circling the center ring, and I've cleanly conquered them with a slow, steady hand. But this one's quite the tenacious devil. Anyone ever have success in removing these bastards?
Old 10-31-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcloud
"Warning! Removal of this label will cause permanent damage if removed."
Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy department.
Old 10-31-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try some Goo Gone, but my advise would be, that if the dvd plays fine, leave the sticker where it is, even though it is a bit of an eye-sore
Old 10-31-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably just leave it on there as well. Although I've got some off before without incident, I've also pulled some others off and ended up with a sticky mess that not even Goo-Gone could take care of and a disc that was indeed, for all intents and purposes, permanently damaged.
Old 10-31-05, 05:42 PM

A sticker on a DVD? Couldn't that be a hazard to the player?
Old 10-31-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also got Carnival of Souls from a BBV and had a similar sticker on it. I started peeling it with my fingernail to get it started, and then slowly pulled away at it, while using Goo-Gone as I went and got both stickers off with no damage or leftover residue.
Old 10-31-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have tried two different types of Goo Gone. One type will eat through ANYTHING, so be careful. It'll go through disc art, any type of artwork, boxes, etc... Then there is another type that I can actually put on any surface, and it doesn't damage anything other than the sticker and/or goo I'm trying to remove, so just be careful. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

I had a sticker like this on a DVD I got from a local rental store, and it had those metal security strips on it, and when you removed it it left behind the goo from hell, it was horrible. I but the Goo Gone all over the disc art (the kind that doesn't damage anything, at least nothing I've seen yet), left it there for about five or ten minutes, wiped it with a paper towel, and the disc was as good as new.
Old 10-31-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the perspective, guys. I tried a little Goo Gone on a bit that came off and it's not looking so hot, so I'm thinking I'll abort this and live with the label.
Old 10-31-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My advice: go to Wal*Mart, or some comparable store, and look for a product called "Oops!" Put a dab of it on a piece of cloth, and rub the label side (sticker still attached) as if you were trying to clean it. This stuff eats right through ink. I've done it with a couple Movie Gallery clearance rental DVD's, and it takes the ink right off. The sticker stays on, but as you know, it's transparent...so you'd have to take a close look to even realize that it's there.

Attempting to remove the sticker (unless you have an extremely steady hand, and get lucky) will likely peel the art off the disc as well. I'd just use that product, which is pretty much just glorified paint thinner, to remove the ink from the security sticker.

Good luck.

-JP
Old 10-31-05, 07:44 PM

I bought a dvd from blockbuster and try to get it off
well it was a grueling 4 months, of sore necks and dirty fingernails
just peel up and push the junk away, and rub your fingers against it to ware the adhesive

I'm pretty content with my work...if it were a dvd like CoS criterion, I wouldn't have taken the chance, but I wanted to try it. Kung Pow is a great movie I would have rebought in a second.

as you can see, I got tired, I just wanted the really obnoxious blue blockbuster thing off, for the most part it is. there is still the clear part, but the disc plays fine with it
Old 10-31-05, 10:03 PM

Block buster just sucks!
Old 10-31-05, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jasonnaper
Block buster just sucks!
I agree and I used to work there . The place just simply blows.
Old 11-01-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy used DVDs all the time from video rental stores, but... I never buy used DVDs from Blockbuster, those stickers are ugly, they throw away the original cases with the booklets or incerts and replace them with those horrible blockbuster cases. yuck

when I'm going through a stack of used DVDs at a pawn shop I can always tell if it's a blockbuster because their cases has some odd texture feel to them.
Old 11-01-05, 05:43 AM

Leave the label on. I won an Ebay auction and someone sent me a disc with a Blockbuster label. I tried to take the label off, but the disc got stuck in my player. I had to take apart the player just to remove (and throw away) the disc.
Old 11-01-05, 10:40 AM

Blockbuster sucks, but a-holes who sell BB crap on Ebay without disclosing that fact SUCK even worse!
Old 11-01-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would worry more about what that cheap ass glue would do to the DVD over the years if left on there more than I would worry about the eye sore itself. Give it five years and the sticker is turning the DVD brown, and that should be some fun!

This is a reason I really would think long and hard about buying a used DVD ANYWHERE.
Old 11-01-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I agree and I used to work there . The place just simply blows.
I used to work there too and am proud to say I haven't set foot in one since I quit.

As for the label, I can tell you to be extremely careful. If it's one of the labels BB was using in the early days of DVD (or something similar), those things are capable of peeling off the artwork from the disc (thus rendering the disc unplayable, in my experience). In fact, I never successfully got one of those labels off, but it would seem I may have just been impatient.
Old 11-01-05, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
I used to work there too and am proud to say I haven't set foot in one since I quit.
Same here!
Old 11-01-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
I cracked a disc trying to get one off. Another one ripped part of the studio label off exposing the data. Neither played right after that. I have had a couple successes, but after those two, I just leave 'em.
Old 11-02-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More great views. I'm skewing to just leaving this thing alone, though. I'm usually so good at simply peeling mean stickers away, but this thing's a mother. So I shan't bother.

Originally Posted by turborobb
I buy used DVDs all the time from video rental stores, but... I never buy used DVDs from Blockbuster, those stickers are ugly, they throw away the original cases with the booklets or incerts and replace them with those horrible blockbuster cases. yuck
I got lucky with this one, though I did buy it at a used DVD store other than blockbuster, it had the stickers on the case (which were easily removed, btw) and offered cheaper than the original $12.99 blockbuster pre-viewed price ($7.95). I could not resist. Plus, it was in the original Alpa case and even still had the booklet. I do regularly avoid used Blockbuster DVDs, though.

Indeed that store is horrid and it's been biting them in the ass hard. The video business industry is carefully following their continual loss of profits and staff lay-offs. They'll soon be a dinosaur in the video history books, I'm sure.

Last edited by slowcloud; 11-02-05 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-23-11, 06:13 PM

Re: The most formidable sticker ever: "Property of Blockbuster" Label on DVD

hi. im new to this forum group, but i hav to fairly simple solutions to your problem of those stickers.on the newer stickers that cover the whole disk and have the words "pat. pend. AVS security" on it. you can
1. begin to peel the sticker. peel one side about a 1/4 inch inwards and make your way around the disk after you make it around peel more into the disk. but at small amounts at a time and circling the disk. after you reach the center where it says the store number. simply peel the rest, and there it is.
option 2. for the same stickers with the magnetic strips in them. if you dont want to even chance messing up the artwork on the disk but still hate the big blue block buster logo on it.. simply remove it. put lysol kitchen cleaner on it. it will cause the ink to fall right off. spray it on top, and let it sit for 30 seconds then wipe all the ink away, leaving you the semi clearish plastic and the two magnetic strips.
have fun :P