Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

(Minor) Playback Glitch With THE BIG LEBOWSKI?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-30-05, 10:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone else see what I see? As THE BIG LEBOWSKI (the new anamorphic Universal version) begins playback and the Universal Pictures logo fades in, just prior to the continents igniting on the globe (I'm not sure how better to describe it but those of you familiar with the latest incarnation of the Universal Pictures logo should recognize what I'm describing), when the screen in very dark and the curve of the Earth rides into view at frame bottom, does it look like, for a few short frames, it's composed of clunky block graphics? In fact, for a beat, it looks like there's only half of a globe curve--the other half blocks into view a frame later. I'm not sure I'm describing this very well, but it really stands out if you notice it, and I don't recall seeing the Universal Earth globe swing into frame like this on any other of their titles. Is it just on my copy? If not, does it also do this on the original non-anamorphic release of the film?
Old 10-30-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It wouldn't have been on the old version because Universal didn't own the rights to the film then.
Old 10-30-05, 08:38 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Hmm...fair enough...but they have added their logo to the beginning of the film on the new DVD, and it isn't the home video version of said logo, either. Interesting...any feedback on the core issue, though?
Old 10-30-05, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I noticed it too. The Universal logo seems brighter and more compressed, or something. Very blocky at the beginning...almost like a bad render. I'm not sure why they changed it (if they did) other than to fix the hideous gate weave the "previous" Universal logo suffered.
Old 10-31-05, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
No, I noticed it too. The Universal logo seems brighter and more compressed, or something. Very blocky at the beginning...almost like a bad render. I'm not sure why they changed it (if they did) other than to fix the hideous gate weave the "previous" Universal logo suffered.
Thanks so much--it looks like shit, but if you've got it too, then I know I don't have a bad disc (barring a bad pressing throughout, and I can live with that misery if I have company). I wonder what the story is...
Old 10-31-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I was three sheets to the wind on a few too many beverages when I watched this last, so I wouldn't have noticed. I'll have to check it out tonight.
Old 10-31-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't notice. Was just peeved the intro wasn't anamorphic.
Old 10-31-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the bloody sake of all attention to detail, I didn't notice it either, I noticed it was changed to Universal. I miss the old school original Polygram logo, I thought it was nice.
Old 10-31-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't have it yet but I should soon and will pay attention to see if the same thing happens on my player...

But, for the record, I just wanted to chime in here that the original Polygram release was/is anamorphic. (hence, no big rush to upgrade)
Old 11-01-05, 04:37 AM

has anyone else noticed that the very first shot after the studio logo - the first tumbleweed shot - is drastically zoomed in compared to the original dvd? it even looks a little blurry. the first shot on the original dvd felt correct, this new cropping/framing of the first shot is very cramped and strikes me as odd.....
Old 11-01-05, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
But, for the record, I just wanted to chime in here that the original Polygram release was/is anamorphic. (hence, no big rush to upgrade)
My bad--perhaps I should change my reference from "non-anamorphic" to "looked like ass".