Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought the Transformers giftset that's marked down to $12.99 at Best Buy even though the movie was possibly the worst movie I saw all last year (and in a long time for that matter).
Old 09-27-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Superman III & IV (came with the Ultimate Superman set)
Star Trek V and Nemesis (because I'm a completist with no willpower).
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (box set)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (box set)
Really? I liked Beneath, I just wish it had been Hestonized the whole way through.
Old 09-27-09, 08:47 AM

Batman & Robin - for the extras, same as everyone else. I don't think this was dumb - they're great extras.

Jaws - I don't watch the movie often, because thanks to watching it as a kid I'm still afraid of swimming in deep, murky water as an adult. Even fresh water, damn it! Nevertheless, the anniversary release came with a great making-of documenary that I really enjoyed.

The last three Bond movies. I'm a completionist, and do indeed feel dumb.
Old 09-27-09, 10:13 AM
Banned

I usually love every movie I buy. However in the last year I have decided to become a completest. So I now buy all sequels/prequels. So I do own some pretty horrible movies because of that. LOL! But at least I'm happy having complete series.
Old 09-27-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Tremors 4 (came in a pack with Tremors)
Scary Movie 2 (liked SC1 & loved SC3 so got SC2 to complete the set, then SC4 was ok)
Star Wars 4 A New Hope (only bought this to get the bonus disk of Star Wars)
Old 09-27-09, 12:14 PM

Pearl Harbor, for the cool packaging and bonus bits, RoboCop 3, which came in the trilogy boxset, Men in Black 2 because I can sometimes get a little obsessive about sequels, especially those which have had a theatrical release; DTV, not so much.
Old 09-27-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never bought a film I hated. I even consider the Matrix and Star Wars sequels good enough to own.
Old 09-27-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I've never bought a film I hated. I even consider the Matrix and Star Wars sequels good enough to own.
That is my thinking as well. I try to curb the blind buying as much as possible, and that helps with buying stuff I hate. Why would I own something that I ahte, and would never watch again? What is he whole point of owning it? I am not necessarily a "completist" but I do have some complete sets in my collection, but nothing I hate.
Old 09-27-09, 03:16 PM

I picked up Daredevil the day it came out, I'd seen it in theatres and didn't like it at all. There were two things that factored into this. One with it being a comic book movie I still felt somewhat obligated to by it in hopes that good sales would mean that they'd continue to make comic movies. The second factor was I had just broke my ankle the weekend before and really had nothing to watch as my dvd collection at the time was maybe 15 discs or so. Either way haven't watched it again since that week.
Old 09-27-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
That is my thinking as well. I try to curb the blind buying as much as possible, and that helps with buying stuff I hate. Why would I own something that I ahte, and would never watch again? What is he whole point of owning it? I am not necessarily a "completist" but I do have some complete sets in my collection, but nothing I hate.
I wouldn't call myself a completist. There are a few things I would not own

Batman and Robin
Blade Trinity
X Men: The Last Stand

I hate those films, and would pay extra money to not own them. Films with long lines of sequels, Halloween, Friday, etc., I will usually just get the first film, unless a particular sequel was worth owning.

I like all the Alien films, all the Die Hard films (even 2). I love the first Matrix, and the sequel were extremely disappointing to say the least. I can still watch them once in a blue moon though. I don't love any of the Lethal Weapon films, but I picked up the cheap 4 pack because they are all enjoyable to some extent. The Godfather Part III doesn't get viewed too often, though it's not a film I hate.

Actually, I did buy Transformers after a horrible theatrical experience. I don't know why, I like Bay commentaries, and I wanted to give it another shot. After a few viewings, it grew on me somewhat. It's not a film I hate anymore so I never got rid of it.

enough ranting.
Old 09-27-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transformers for the cool transforming DVD package.
Old 09-27-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider Man 3
Old 09-28-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the most part, I try to avoid buying movies I don't like, even if the packaging is cool or if it has good extras. The movie is what matters most; if I don't like it, why would I own it?

Now with that said, there ARE some exceptions, although these are mainly due to them being packaged in a box set: Superman III and IV (due to getting the Ultimate Collection, which for me, cost less than getting the 4-Disc Superman, both Superman II releases, and the 2-Disc Superman Returns individually), and some of the movies in the New Line 40th Anniversary Box Set (which I got new for $30, and liked the documentary along with some of the movies to make it worthwhile).

Now there are some movies I blind bought, and ended up not liking (although that tends to not happen; I usually end up being a good judge on whether I'll like something or not), but I usually sell those off, rather than keep them.
Old 09-28-09, 04:55 PM

Slumdog Millionaire - I like to collect Best Picture nods and winners. Thought the movie was overrated.

In the future:

Bruno - a companion for Borat
Night at the Museum - same as Bruno
GI JOE: Rise of Cobra - Sienna Miller and Rachel Nichols
Old 09-28-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagMan
Showgirls, for the gift set. If a studio can make jokes about their release into a gift set and release it for pretty damn cheap ($25), I'm all over it!
Yeah, I bought that one as well. They were selling it in the dump bin a few weeks before Christmas for $6.99. Couldn't resist.

I picked up a second one for the company Christmas party as a $5 secret Santa gift. Everyone though it would be a box chocolates so, needless to say, it went over really well for the guy who ended up with it.
Old 09-29-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Fever Lake. Never got past the first 30 minutes. I have, though, watched the first 15 several times...as that is filmed where I went to college so I've watched it just to see it again (they remodeled right after).
Old 09-29-09, 09:20 PM

I bought Saw b/c it was part of a 2-pack with Ip Man, a movie not yet released here in the states that I wanted. It was worth it
Old 09-30-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Aside from gifts, I bought Dude, Where's My Car? one time because a girlfriend (at the time) liked it.
Old 09-30-09, 11:37 AM
Banned

The one title I can think of that I saw in the theaters, hated, but still picked up on DVD was Nacho Libre. But I'm not out too much, only paid 50 cents for it at a Hollywood Video going out of business sale.
Old 09-30-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the original The Omen even though I disliked it a lot. I bought it because of the documentary The Omen Legacy.
Old 10-01-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I've never bought a movie I knew I was going to hate. Like most people stated early in the thread, most of my movies have something going for them that I like.

Only 2 movies I don't enjoy watching. First is Manhunter. It's a good movie, but I don't like it. I bought it with a Borders gift card because it was a 2-Disc Limited Edition and featured the first appearance of Hannibal Lekter. The insert was cool too because it was in the form of a mini manila folder with faux investigative documents.

The other is Lady Terminator. I remember wanting to see it as a kid because I loved T2.
I finally got the chance and boy was it bad! I was thinking it was going to be a slightly lower budget version of Terminator with an actress replacing Arnol, with a cyber punk storyline.
It's a really cheesy movie with horrible everything. I only keep it because it's like an obscure collectible very loosely related to the Terminator franchise.
Old 10-01-09, 12:12 PM

avp (both)
yes im a completist and the second one was actually entertaining as far as how bad it was
Old 10-01-09, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AvP. I dunno why...there's a very very few scenes I like...and somehow that justified me buying that a while back. It hasn't been seen again since 2007.
Old 10-01-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought Star Trek 5 even though it's a terrible movie. I try not to be a completist but I made an exception. I got it from Columbia House so at least it was only around $5.
Old 10-01-09, 01:55 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman tommy
I picked up Daredevil the day it came out, I'd seen it in theatres and didn't like it at all. There were two things that factored into this. One with it being a comic book movie I still felt somewhat obligated to by it in hopes that good sales would mean that they'd continue to make comic movies.
This is exactly why I picked up Daredevil and Hulk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.