DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Frisco Kid- 2/14/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frisco Kid- 2/14/06

Frisco Kid coming to DVD February 14th, 2006

Slowly but surely all of Harrison's movies are making their way to DVD and The Frisco Kid is one that many fans have been waiting for. This is the last Harrison Ford movie to be released. The DVD will retail for $14.95 so don't look for the set to be loaded with a lot, if any, extra features.

Here is what the press release had to say about The Frisco Kid.

"The Frisco Kid" -- This cult comedy favorite set in the 1850s Wild West stars Harrison Ford as a bank robber and Gene Wilder as a naive Polish rabbi. Wilder plays the immigrant who begins a horseback journey cross country to lead his new congregation, knowing only that California is "somewhere near New York."
Old 10-26-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GREAT NEWS!!!

This is one of the best "buddy" movies of all-time. Easily in my top 10 most wanted DVD releases.
Old 10-27-05, 08:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Just the other day, I was going through Gene Wilder's filmography and had forgotten all about this movie. Glad to hear the announcement.
Old 10-27-05, 11:30 AM
Banned

Duh.

It just hit me. Harrison's new movie comes out in Feb supposedly. There you go.
Old 10-27-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YAAAAAAY!!! It's my favorite movies ever! It's about goddamn time! Does anyone know if it is going to be anamorphic widescreen????
Old 10-27-05, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
YAAAAAAY!!! It's my favorite movies ever! It's about goddamn time! Does anyone know if it is going to be anamorphic widescreen????
Yes, it *is* anamorphic widescreen!

Come here little chicken! I don't want to hurt you! I just want to eat you! I don't want to hurt you...I just want to make you kosher!

Also coming out on the same day - Valentine's Day - is Mad Magazine's Up The Academy. Tickle your ass with a feather?
Old 10-27-05, 02:14 PM
Banned

Any other specs yet? i'm assuming just a trailer...if we're lucky.
Old 10-27-05, 02:28 PM

Trailer, yep. That's it. 1.0 Mono English and French, subs in Eng/Fr/Sp, CC, 119 min, $14.97 SRP.

It's 1850 and new rabbi Avram Belinski sets out
from Philadelphia toward San Francisco. Cowpoke bandit
Tom Lillard hasn't seen a rabbi before. But he knows when
one needs a heap of help. And getting this tenderfoot to
Frisco in one piece will cause a heap of trouble - with the
law, Native Americans and a bunch of killers. Gene Wilder
and Harrison Ford are one feisty team as rabbi and rescuer
in this rough-'n'-ready romp that rivals Wilder's earlier
Blazing Saddles in Wild West hilarity. Director Robert
Aldrich is a seasoned hand at blending roughhouse and
laughter, as fans of his earlier The Dirty Dozen and The
Longest Yard will attest. With a full posse of screen talents,
The Frisco Kid rides tall in the comedy saddle. Director:
Robert Aldrich Starring: Gene Wilder, Harrison Ford,
Ramon Bieri
Cover art's available, but I'm not going that far myself.
Old 10-27-05, 02:42 PM
Banned

yeah, saw the cover art.

holy huge harrison head!!!
Old 02-12-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With The Frisco Kid coming out on Tuesday with no fanfare, if anyone finds a DVD review link or buys and watches the movie before any reviews are written, please post a message here. I'd like to know how good the video/audio transfer is. Also, I'd love to know if it's a DVD-5 or DVD-9 format. I always feel like I'm getting more for my money with a DVD-9 (assuming they choose to use most of its capacity).
Old 02-12-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have it orderd for Tuesday, looking forward to it.
Old 02-13-06, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29
I have it orderd for Tuesday, looking forward to it.
Where did you order it? I see it for $9 and change from Deep Discount DVD, and retailers appear to have it for $12.99. I have credit to use up at various stores, so I am hoping to hear it is a good transfer, it is DVD-9, and one of the stores I have credit will have it for $10 or less this week.
Old 02-13-06, 09:33 AM
Banned

It's $10. What the hell are you waiting for and what are you expecting for $10?

My god, some people on this board are so cheap. Yet they'll be the same people who complain when HD comes out and they'll have to pay more for better quality.
Old 02-13-06, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Manzana
With The Frisco Kid coming out on Tuesday with no fanfare, if anyone finds a DVD review link or buys and watches the movie before any reviews are written, please post a message here. I'd like to know how good the video/audio transfer is. Also, I'd love to know if it's a DVD-5 or DVD-9 format. I always feel like I'm getting more for my money with a DVD-9 (assuming they choose to use most of its capacity).
Picture quality is about what you'd expect, and it's a single-sided, dual layer disc.

-JP
Old 02-13-06, 01:31 PM

DVD Town has a review up:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/frisco...3abf72d4b13d5c
Old 02-13-06, 03:21 PM
Banned

Just an FYI...for those who didn't know...

Harrison wasn't the first choice for the role. John Wayne was. The director went to Wayne's death bed to plead with him to do the role...and when Wayne didn't/couldn't, he took it out on Harrison.
Old 02-13-06, 04:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes you're right. It was $10.
Old 02-13-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BUY THE DVD - it's AWESOME!!
Old 02-13-06, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
It's $10. What the hell are you waiting for and what are you expecting for $10?

My god, some people on this board are so cheap. Yet they'll be the same people who complain when HD comes out and they'll have to pay more for better quality.
Given that most new release DVDs drop under $10 within a few months after release, I now consider $10 a normal DVD price and $5 is budget. I've picked up lots of stuff by waiting for $4.88 sales at Walmart. No longer do I buy marginal titles until they are dirt cheap. I used to think $15 was normal, $10 was budget and $5 was a steal, but the pricing games the stores have played have changed things, and I know others who are lowering their price thresholds and upping content expectations too. If you want to blame someone for making people cheap, blame the studios and the stores... they can only pull the rug out from under people by dropping prices so fast so many times before people get wise.

I will buy this DVD for $10 thanks to other people's comments and the review linked here. I think you were a bit harsh on me considering all I said was "I am hoping to hear it is a good transfer, it is DVD-9, and one of the stores I have credit will have it for $10 or less this week". If wanting to know it's a good transfer and a DVD-9 for $10 makes me a cheapskate, then I proudly admit it.
Old 02-13-06, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Picture quality is about what you'd expect, and it's a single-sided, dual layer disc.

-JP
Thanks NatrlBornTrillr and Loc Nar! The DVD Town review has not shown up through DVD Basen yet, so I wouldn't have found it without the link. (I don't have time to go to every DVD review site individually which is why I start with DVD Basen.) Hearing it's a DVD-9 with a high bitrate and a good transfer makes me happy. I have no problem buying a worthy DVD-9 effort like this for $10. By the same token I sometimes have a problem buying unworthy barebones DVD-5 efforts for half as much. I've passed by a lot of Walmart $4.88 bin stuff for being non-anamorphic. I think I'm going to pass on the last 2 Pink Panther releases until they are $5 bin material because I hear they are barebones DVD-5. Call me Mr. Cheapskate.
Old 02-13-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie would be worth buying if it cost 30 dollars. It's one of the most rewatchable movies I have ever seen. It's Harrison Ford's best acting movies as well - he only did a bunch of good movies - Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and The Frisco Kid...
Old 02-14-06, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie would be worth buying if it cost 30 dollars. It's one of the most rewatchable movies I have ever seen. It's Harrison Ford's best acting movies as well - he only did a bunch of good movies - Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and The Frisco Kid...
::

That was funny. Thanks for that.
Old 02-16-06, 07:30 PM

Are there any B&M besides Best Buy which have The Frisco Kid for $10 or less? My Best Buy sold out all 2 whopping copies they got this week long before I could get there. In fact, every store in the area is sold out according to the web site. Could that be because Best Buy choose to get almost no copies?

Since I have credit at Blockbuster, Suncoast, Wherehouse, and Borders (my 4 least favorite stores), I was hoping one of those stores would have it for a decent price, but surprise surprise only Borders carries this at $14.99. Even with a 30% off coupon it's still more than Amazon or Deep Discount DVD.

I'm amazed this DVD is so hard to find. It makes me wonder if they pressed only a few hundred copies and it'll be going out of print soon. Nobody I talked to on the phone has heard of this movie, and I even sarcastically said to one of the teenage clerks on the phone "it has some guy named Harrison Ford in it, in case you've ever heard of him".

It looks like I will be forced to use Deep Discount DVD rather than use up any of my credit at those other stores. This is not meant as a complaint (for the complaint police) but simply an observation how sad it is that good movies like this are almost totally ignored because they were released a while ago. Some stores and clerks have the attitude that any movie that is more than a year old is worthless ancient history.
Old 02-16-06, 08:31 PM

I got a copy of the movie for my dad. I took it to his house yesterday.. he had gotten a copy of the movie from HDNET.. WE did a compare with both the HD and the DVD. My dad owns a progressive scan dvd player.. they looked about the same. the dvd has the new WB logo, while the HDNET had the old WB logo. I saw only the beginning of it. It seem fine to me.

JACOB
Old 02-16-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Just an FYI...for those who didn't know...

Harrison wasn't the first choice for the role. John Wayne was. The director went to Wayne's death bed to plead with him to do the role...and when Wayne didn't/couldn't, he took it out on Harrison.
I'm glad that he didn't. Not that there's anything wrong with the Frisco Kid, but I like that he ended his career with The Shootist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.