Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Val Lewton Horror Collection" packaging

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Val Lewton Horror Collection" packaging

I just bought the recently released "Val Lewton Horror Collection" at Tower Records and thought the packaging was a bit odd and certainly different than I remember seeing advertised online. It's not DVD-sized keeper box like most DVD sets, but more of an elongated cardboard throw-away sleeve. One of the reviews at Amazon.com says his arrived from Amazon.com the same way.

Has anyone bought one that came with a nicer keeper box that's shown in online merchant photos (for example, http://www.cinescape.com/multimedia/...icle294889.jpg)?Any B&M retailers carrying it? I'm hanging onto my receipt and not touching the shrink-wrap until I can find out whether or not it really exists.
Old 10-18-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it like the box sets at costco or sams...more than likely the actual box is inside the long box. That has always been the case. My box is dvd sized. If it came with an extra box around it, i would consider it a blessing as it probably kept dings and knicks out of the corners of your acutal box.

I had a thread on what people did with these long boxes, most seems to toss them. I think the long box with full art like this and rocky are pretty cool.
Old 10-18-05, 04:20 PM

That would be great if it were true, but I have my doubts that a keeper case is really inside this packaging. The individual DVD cases are visible from the bottom, and I don't see any indication of anything in the top portion of the wrapper. Is this what the packaging looks like for everyone's set...or is there another variation?

Old 10-18-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The picture above is NOT the same packaging as the set I received from Amazon.

I have a standard sized box, the same as all the other Warner sets.
Old 10-18-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately that's the box I bought from BB... there's no smaller box inside. Of course a week later, BB had both the long & DVD-sized boxes on their shelf, DAMNIT.
Old 10-18-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow that sucks! I guess I'll just pick this up in a store rather then order it online.
Old 10-18-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a regular sized Dvd box set from Amazon.
Old 10-18-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also got a regular sized box from Amazon.
Old 10-18-05, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

That is really strange. I wonder if for some bizarre reason the cardboard slipcase is ABOVE (on top off) the DVDs inside the long box? I guess you'd have to rip it open to find out. Very odd.
Old 10-18-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd take it back
Old 10-18-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a problem with the packaging on this set just before the release date. The PR firm sent out a note explaining it, but I don't have it handy. I know the fulfillment center for review copies (and maybe manufacturing) was in the thick of the wildfires, so maybe that affected things. Anyway, suffice it to say that the earliest copies shipped were of this last-minute longbox variety, while the original packaging was eventually restored for other shipments.
Old 10-21-05, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the great feedback. I checked another Tower Records in the area, and indeed they had the proper packaging of the "Val Lewton Horror Collection":

Without hesitation I bought this new one on the spot and returned the one with the odd packaging the next day.
Old 10-21-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that's some frigged up packaging.

I got the regular one (like you have pictured from Tower) via Amazon, just like most.
Old 10-21-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i like the long boxes...but only in additon to the other packages...too weird
Old 10-22-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kriegersaurus
That is really strange. I wonder if for some bizarre reason the cardboard slipcase is ABOVE (on top off) the DVDs inside the long box? I guess you'd have to rip it open to find out. Very odd.
No, because the top flap doesn't have a fold to tuck in, it just lies there on top, & there's NO slipcase inside. Too late to return it, I got smoked on this deal.