Reload this Page >

How often do you "Blind Buy"?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-14-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you find that you blind buy a lot of dvds, or do you only purchase movies you've seen before and really like?

For me, it started with just the movies I've seen before and really like...but lately, I've been finding that over 50% of my dvd spending is on "blind buys". Am I alone here?
Old 10-14-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Too often in my case.
Old 10-14-05, 02:40 PM

If I think I'll like it and buy it, I don't. Blind buys are dangerous, unless it's a great buy or something you really want and will watch right away. I prefer to rent and wait a few months for the price to drop for new copies on half.com.

I made a few with a Blockbuster gift card, but only because it was from their $8 trade in promo, making the actual price good enough to justify it.
Old 10-14-05, 02:40 PM

I do that a lot, but I read a lot on the movies prior to buying, so if I heard good things, I'll probably just buy it.
Old 10-14-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't do compulsive buying...i mean blind buying...as much anymore as i did in the past, but I think 99 percent of the people in here do blind buys. If people didn't do blind buys, collections would be in the 100s instead of over a 1000 dvds. I can't imagine most people even seeing those movies released on Criterion growing up whether it be on tv or VHS or in theaters. It's just getting suckered into buying Criterion because they are "respectable" and so that people have respectable DVD collections...

I only do blind buying of import foreign DVDs that don't ever come to the USA theaters/video stores. And even if I know it will come to the USA, I would rather pay 25 bucks to see a foreign movie now then wait 3 to 4 years for it to come to the USA..
Old 10-14-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of my buys are blind buys.
Old 10-14-05, 02:51 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since the advent of the Blockbuster movie pass, my new routine is to first rent and watch from Blockbuster. Before the movie pass, I did not like the idea of paying nearly $5 to rent and then purchasing, so I would most often forgo screening prior to buying. Now I can decide to purchase after viewing. This has dramatically cut down on the number of popular titles that I blind bought in the past,

I still make a number of blind buys for items that cannot be first viewed at Blockbuster (Criterion, foreign, many television shows and older films that my BB does not carry).
Old 10-14-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DVDs from outside R1 I blind buy; usually after reading comments about it online. R1's I usually rent unless I've seen it at the theatre and liked it.
Old 10-14-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
75% of my purchases are blind buys.
Old 10-14-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I don't go to the theater anymore because the theaters can't keep their patrons in control (talking, screaming babies, cel phones, etc...), 98% of my DVDs are blind buys.

At least 75% here, too...probably more. All researched, though. I very, very rarely judge a movie by it's cover. Even if it's a good price on one that I think I may like, I'll go home and read up on it. If it sounds up to par, I'll go back the next day to make the blind-buy.

-JP
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
With the price of going to the theater these days, buying a DVD blind is no more of a risk than actually going to the movies. At least this way you have something of substance left over so that you could get a return on your investment if you didn't happen to enjoy it.
Old 10-14-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
75% of my purchases are blind buys.
Probably about the same for me. I don't rent. I do my research on things that look interesting (often leading to other titles) before pulling the trigger. If I don't like it, I give it away, sell it or trade it.
Old 10-14-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of my purchases are 'blind buys'.

I don't go to theaters.
Old 10-14-05, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It doesn't happen very often. Usually only if I read a good review of a movie I haven't seen or something comes out on DVD that I have never seen, but have always wanted to. Case in point - many movies released by Blue Underground and to a lesser extent, Anchor Bay - are blind buys for me.
Old 10-14-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not many since joining Netflix, but I'll still do it once in a while.
Old 10-14-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts
I haven't tallied 'em up to get a percentage or anything, but the vast majority of what I get is a blind buy for me.
Old 10-14-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Owning my own store and being the only employee means long work weeks with little time to go to the movies.

I just blind bought a lot of Anchor Bay and Asian horror from the DDD and Amazon sales. Thanks to the big sale on Warner Brothers TV show sets at various locations, I blind bought West Wing 1 & 2, Smallville 1-4, Nip/Tuck 1, Without a Trace 1, and a few others.
Old 10-14-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I haven't tallied 'em up to get a percentage or anything, but the vast majority of what I get is a blind buy for me.
I'm thinking the same here. I don't buy new anymore so that helps. Blind purchases of $5-$7 PVDs don't hurt so bad if the flick is awful.
I almost picked up Kingdom of Heaven today but held out. I figure I can save $10 if I wait and get it off half.com or at BBV.

Only thing I buy new anymore is TV sets.
Old 10-14-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Probably about 10% of my buys... Maybe a little more. They are always researched first, and based on recommendations by people here and IRL.
Old 10-14-05, 04:10 PM

More than 75%. For me, DVD is a medium for learning about film rather than for amassing a collection of things I like. As I watch more and read more about film, my tastes change, and I sell off parts of my collection. If I blind buy a film and don't like it, I don't immediately get rid of it, because I know that I might come around to it later. These days I mostly buy classic and challenging films, not because I've been suckered into building a respectable collection as an above poster said, but because these films have a greater likelihood of still being relevant years from now and of withstanding inevitable changes in my tastes.
Old 10-14-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

agreed. well said.
Old 10-14-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of what I buy is a blind buy... Like others have posted, don't go to the theater, don't rent. If I don't like it enough to keep it, I just trade it in for store credit, sell it, etc.

That said, I only buy a few titles a month at this point... My movie watching time has been pretty limited.
Old 10-14-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Very little of what I buy is a blind buy. On the other hand, a lot of what I trade for is.
Old 10-14-05, 05:07 PM

I usually wait for the DVD on theatrical releases, so almost all of those are blind buys. I blind buy a lot of older titles too. In both cases, if I do not like the film, I sell or trade in the DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.