Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

High Tension R1 DVD audio dropout and sub problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Tension R1 DVD audio dropout and sub problems

i'm just finding more and more things wrong with the lions gate release. besides the sub problems, i noticed while listening to the French 2.0 track, there was an audio dropout at 1:13:06. i'm not sure if theres more, i was just testing that audio track, so can anyone else confirm this
Old 10-13-05, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same drop-out problem. Also, the subtitle thing came up as well. The excuse for that is they only used one subtitle track for every version. The English dub version adds dialogue. That extra dialogue comes up in the subtitles for the French version unfortunately.
Old 10-13-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's like this on mine too, but it's only about 2-3 seconds, no big deal.

Does this happen with lots of Lion's Gate movies? If it did then yeah, it would be a big deal, but if it's just an isolated thing then I don't really care.

As far as the subtitles go, I also noticed that they only had 1 verson of subtitles, which was weird. They only have the US Version Subtitles.

For those who don't know, the US version added bits of dubbed in dialogue about how Alex and her family are American (even though in the French version, they are French). Actually, I'm not sure if they are American, but one of the new lines of dialogue is something along the lines of Alex saying "My french is almost as bad as theirs....we've only lived her for 6 months"
--------------

Edit: Here's the exact info from another thread on the board. It's a quote from the girl in the film who played "Marie"....

"Basically, they changed the story to make the dubbing work, so that Marie is going to her American friend's house in the south of France, so she can practice her English, but she's French, so anything that happens outside that family unit, happens in French. That's why it goes back and forth that she speaks to her friend Alex in English-Alex is American-but the other part, she speaks to everybody else in French, and it kind of shows the duality of Marie's character without giving anything away."

Last edited by Seantn; 10-13-05 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thankfully this isn't really a movie you watch FOR the dialogue.
hah ha.
Old 10-13-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the film itself has very little dialogue anyway, and this particular scene that has the audio dropout actually has no dialogue being said at that point, someone is being
Spoiler:
suffocated
Old 10-13-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched it in French 5.1 and was pleased. Great audio with no drop outs at all. I have'nt bothered with the other mixes though.

The subtitle track while alittle upsetting is not 'too bad' if you learn to ignore the two added lines(I don't think there are more) I caught for the 'U.S dub'. Basically when no one is speaking,a couple lines of dialogue were added in the dub to add the littler 'extra' information to make it appear they are Americans in France.

The closed captions also unfortunately use the U.S dub.

Aside from the sub/caption issue. I think it's a great dvd with awesome audio and picture quality!