Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alien 3 DVD: Theatrical/SE question ***SPOILERS***

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alien 3 DVD: Theatrical/SE question ***SPOILERS***

I was watching the Alien 3 DVD from that 10 disc set and I put on the SE version. I thought to myself, the SE has more scenes so I’ll see that!

But at the end, I could have sword I saw the Alien rip out of Ripley as she was falling down. Yet nothing happened. I thought to myself, could I be insane? Or could it have been cut? It reminded of that one line in an old South Park episode “since Michael Jackson’s birthday party” that I swore I heard yet so many say it didn’t exist.

But then I looked at the theatrical edition and saw the ending. Indeed, I wasn’t insane and the Alien did rip out of her stomach.

So someone please tell me, why is the SE/DC version lacking this whereas the theatrical version has it???
Old 10-10-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The workprint/"director's cut" does not contain
Spoiler:
the chestbursting moment during Ripley's fall.
The theatrical version does. You'd have to ask David Fincher why. The commentary may also say.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 10-10-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

your spoilers are showing
Old 10-10-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured they had to "show" that happening for the audience to "get" that she had that inside her.

I like the SE ending better anyway.

But it does make Alien 4 even more impossible since there was no way to get her DNA (the other ending allowed for some flexibility on the issue).
Old 10-10-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Either way it’s shown in the screen, so everyone knows it's there, no?

I still think the one where the Alien rips out looks better

Last edited by Class316; 10-10-05 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 02:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
so in the "Alien Quadrilogy", the chest bursting scene from 3 is nowhere to be found?
Old 10-10-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
so in the "Alien Quadrilogy", the chest bursting scene from 3 is nowhere to be found?
In the theatrical version it is.
Old 10-10-05, 02:23 PM

As djtoell already correctly stated, it appears in the theatrical cut but not in the special edition cut, per Fincher's original wishes.
Old 10-10-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems the reason I heard(I can't remember where) was that Fincher thought that the queen popping out then was just too melodramatic and kinda corny...on the way down and all. I actually prefer it not popping out, I think it lets her go out with a little more dignity. Thats just me..
Old 10-10-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always liked the chest burst on the way into the molten lead moment. I always found it kind of touching that Ripley actually kind of coddles the alien as they die together (she is sort of its mother after all).
Old 10-10-05, 04:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
so the TE is in the Quad?
Old 10-10-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, both versions are
Old 10-10-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so the TE is in the Quad?
Si... Both versions are on the current Alien 3 CE / Quad.

edit - SuckaMC has good Kung Fu...
Old 10-10-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
I was watching the Alien 3 DVD from that 10 disc set and I put on the SE version. I thought to myself, the SE has more scenes so I’ll see that!

But at the end, I could have sword I saw the Alien rip out of Ripley as she was falling down. Yet nothing happened. I thought to myself, could I be insane? Or could it have been cut? It reminded of that one line in an old South Park episode “since Michael Jackson’s birthday party” that I swore I heard yet so many say it didn’t exist.

But then I looked at the theatrical edition and saw the ending. Indeed, I wasn’t insane and the Alien did rip out of her stomach.

So someone please tell me, why is the SE/DC version lacking this whereas the theatrical version has it???

I actually haven't watched my Alien 3 SE, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers that line from South Park.
Old 10-10-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
But it does make Alien 4 even more impossible since there was no way to get her DNA (the other ending allowed for some flexibility on the issue).
In part 4 they clone her from blood samples found in the prison from part 3. The blood samples obviously weren't extracted from the lava as Ripley surely melted within seconds of falling in. Regarless of which version you see, it really doesn't make Resurection any more or less likely.
Old 10-10-05, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I always liked the chest burst on the way into the molten lead moment. I always found it kind of touching that Ripley actually kind of coddles the alien as they die together (she is sort of its mother after all).
Hmmm, and interesting perspective. I always saw it as more of a holding it so it couldn't escape as she fell...sort of like "we're dying together right now, don't bother trying to jumpaway or anything, just accept your fate little queen."

I too was upset that the director decided not to include it in his cut.

This ia a bit off-topic but, is there any way to remove the "special edition" text that comes up on the scenes that the director added in? I never too the time to see if it was "burned in" or not. (I just caught my roommate watching the end of it the other night.)
Old 10-10-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
If Ripley was a mother in any sense then we saw that in her relationship with Newt and saw indications of it concerning her real daughter who died while she was floating in space for 57 years.....not to an alien lifeform that pretty much trashed everything and everyone in her life from the Nostromo on.......
Old 10-10-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
If Ripley was a mother in any sense then we saw that in her relationship with Newt and saw indications of it concerning her real daughter who died while she was floating in space for 57 years.....not to an alien lifeform that pretty much trashed everything and everyone in her life from the Nostromo on.......
But it does have an odd symmetry for, at the end of her life, after losing two daughters (one biological, one semi-adopted), and after so many years of battling the creatures, she ends up transferring those nuturing emotions that she so badly wants to share to the final attempt her body is able to make in giving forth a new life. That those emotions are perhaps so misplaced makes them dramatically interesting, but not necessarily impossible or out of place within the confines of her character.

DJ
Old 10-10-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The impression I get is having the chestburster actually coming out takes away from her sacrifice.
Old 10-11-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I seem to remember that one of Fincher's problems with the bursting bit was that it was all just too coincidental (that it decides just then to burst out with no warning) as well as not as physically traumatic as it had been in the previous films. It just kinda pops out; it doesn't force it's way out like it did with the other hosts. And I agree with the self-sacrifice bit too; she could have had it removed surgically and lived, but she chose to end her own life right then instead.

I prefer the non-burster ending personally, having seen it now along side the theatrical version.
Old 10-11-05, 09:09 AM

Personally I thought it was one of the cheeseist scenes in the movie and I was glad to see the director agreed
Old 10-11-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don’t see how it takes away from her self-sacrifice. She is still taking the Alien with her when she falls. And after it pops out she'd be dead anyway.

Also, it’s not coincidental that the Alien happened to pop out. After all it probably sensed it was falling to its doom. Also, it doesn’t have to pop out like the rest as this one is the new Queen.
Old 10-11-05, 12:29 PM

It’s all these little details after few watches that makes Alien 3 much more enjoyable than the first watch…

The more I watch it, themore I love the psychological tention in that movie…

Also off topic, but the one ant only regret from the Quadrilogy is Aliens not having a DTS track…
Old 10-11-05, 12:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tha Freak

Also off topic, but the one ant only regret from the Quadrilogy is Aliens not having a DTS track…
my Japanese R2 import does
Old 10-11-05, 01:22 PM

The more I watch it, themore I love the psychological tention in that movie…
It's definately a movie that grows on you IMHO. When I first saw it I hated it. I eventually grew to like it (was working in a theater at the time so I ended up seeing it a couple of times ) but I think the DC definately adds to the overall enjoyment and certainly is a fitting ending to the Aliens trilogy.

My only regret is the inclusion of Resurrection

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.