Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New slipcovers on old releases...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New slipcovers on old releases...

for those of you that don't like or hate slipcovers, this thread definitely isn't for you...for the rest of us, have you found any new slipcovers on previous DVD's sans slipcovers...

i've found a few. The Rundown, 28 Days Later, From Hell, and Wrong Turn. a couple i thought were pretty cool, 28 Days Later and From Hell, as they were different art from the dvd cover. have any of you found any others? please list if so.
Old 10-08-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Rundown originally had one I belive.

I can't say I'm fond of the practice, since I'm such a completist and it'd irk me to miss out on a slipcase (i like em). But, as in the case of 28DL, waiting had it's perks.
Old 10-08-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman

I can't say I'm fond of the practice, since I'm such a completist and it'd irk me to miss out on a slipcase (i like em). But, as in the case of 28DL, waiting had it's perks.
Yes, Rundown did originally have one. What I don't like about the slipcover issue is that a lot of times when ordering online, I have not received the cover.
Old 10-09-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unfaithful, Single Disc Moulin Rouge, and Don't Say a Word also have them....seems like Fox is doing this a lot.
Old 10-09-05, 12:46 AM

Now that they have the cutouts where the UPC is, you could probably slip one onto a new DVD you buy and noone will know or care since the DVD purchase is still correct. Haven't done it, but have thought about it.
Old 10-12-05, 06:58 AM

Add "Shrek 2" to the list...
Old 10-12-05, 07:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Erin Brockovich now has a nice Gold slipcover.
Old 10-12-05, 10:11 AM

Feral125, aren't those the "Academy Winners" slipcovers? I too, really like slipcovers, but those I can't stand...I mean they weren't released by the original studio who made the movie...so I don't think they should be on those releases seriously..
Old 10-12-05, 12:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman

i know what you mean. seeing them kills me.
"Pitch Black" Unrated also has one now to coincide with the release of Chronicles. kills me.
Old 10-12-05, 03:18 PM

At rental places like Blockbuster you can usually take slip covers or inserts from the rental dummy boxes and they won't usually care. There was an incident when I bought a Lord of the Rings EE and it had no booklet, the manager there said rather than exchanging the title I could just take it from a dummy, since they don't sell them. She said I could take them anytime and it wouldnt matter (apparently I'm not the only one who's done it).
As for the new slipcovers, you could just buy a dvd with a slip cover and then return it, sans the slip cover. Customer service won't care because it's the same barcode on the case and the cover (therefore no effect on inventory), and they're sold both with the cover and without at equal price. I managed to buy and return a copy of Kung Fu Hustle so that I could get a slip cover for a pre-viewed copy I bought. I'll probably do the same for the new 28 days later cover, just 'cause I'm a completist.
Old 10-13-05, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheVelvetRope
Add "Shrek 2" to the list...
Yeah, I noticed Shrek 2 as well the other day and I was like wtf? It doesn't really make sense to me that they would add it later. Of course when I bought it, it didn't have it, but it's not enough reason to rebuy it I guess.