Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Warriors UE first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Now I'm really up in the air on this one .... I've always liked the movie, but the new edition does sound intriguing.
I'd say go for it. The comic-book panel stuff only occurs 7 times (I thought it was gonna happen at EVERY scene's conclusion) and you're likely to forget all about the "Greek Introduction" within the first minute.
Old 10-11-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Now I'm really up in the air on this one .... I've always liked the movie, but the new edition does sound intriguing.
Well, if you don't mind viewing altered films, then I'd say buy it. But if you want it in its original composition, get the older one before it disappears. It's cheap enough (under $10) and if you change your mind later you can also eBay it (it is or will be OOP) and buy the newer one.
Old 10-12-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I watched it this past weekend, I enjoyed it. I don't think I ever saw the original version....so I'm really no good to anyone I guess.
Old 10-12-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thats what she said
Old 10-12-05, 06:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roomservice
I just can't bring myself to buy this, even for $12.99.

Why couldn't they just include the original version in remastered form on there too?!?!
They probably will have all versions included when they release the HD-DVD/BR edition.
Old 10-12-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't seen the movie in about 15+ years. I watched the new release the other day, and I thought it was good. The comic book segues aren't that big of a deal, and they didn't slowdown or otherwise ruin the movie. Like others have said, if you're not a hardcore fan of this movie, it probably won't be that big of a deal to you.

Can you dig it?
Old 10-15-05, 01:12 PM
JM1

Thought you might find this interesting - I had said previously that the official press release for the R2 version was detailing a commentary and deleted scenes. The same was reported on quite a few websites too.

Well, today I was in a store and saw an early copy of the R2. It had a big yellow sticker on the cover saying "7 extra scenes" - but no mention of this on the back cover, or the commentary either. So I decided to purchase it on the proviso I would take it back if there were no "new scenes", as I already have the R1.

So I just scanned through it, and sure enough no new scenes, no commentary - but, I now realise they are classing the comic book segues as new scenes.

Isn't that just typical of Paramount? They are effectively conning people - anyone who did not know what the pic contained would reasonably assume that a version described as an Ultimate Directors Cut with extra scenes would contain actual new/deleted scenes.

In fact, can they legally get away with calling these comic book panels new scenes? They actually contain nothing new, just graphic representations of what is already in the film.
Old 10-15-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the new Ultimate Edition last night with a friend. She'd never seen the movie, so it didn't matter to her, but the comic segues and the opening Greek business was pretty weak. The movie was cheese to begin with. It's not like you can throw a couple of special effects after the fact to class it up or whatever. Reminded me of th the Star Wars special editions that Lucas went back and "fixed." I think I need to find my old version and sell the new one.
Old 10-15-05, 05:30 PM

I liked it. Im not a stickler for seeing the originals or analyzing the movies to closely. I just want to have some mindless entertainent for a while with a good transfer. It worked on both fronts and it was only 9 bucks.
Old 10-15-05, 09:59 PM

Been so long since seeing the original version all the way through, I wouldn't have noticed much changes anyway. The comic book stuff didn't bother me too much, I think it kind of blends in since the gang outfits and themes are so comicish anyway. This was definitely the best I have ever seen it look though.
Old 10-15-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the new version last night, and I'm keeping my original DVD. The only good comic transition (as mentioned above) is when the train arrives in Coney Island. The rest of them were painful. The Greek opening was horrid, IMO. The print is superb, but the original DVD wasn't too shabby. I can live without the 5.1 mix.
Old 10-16-05, 05:09 AM
Banned

The new cut made me feel like it takes away the R movie and turns it alomst to PG movie.
But the transfer does look goodt, I wish they would make THE GODFATHER, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND dvds look this good.
Old 10-16-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDude!
I watched the new version last night, and I'm keeping my original DVD. The only good comic transition (as mentioned above) is when the train arrives in Coney Island. The rest of them were painful. The Greek opening was horrid, IMO. The print is superb, but the original DVD wasn't too shabby. I can live without the 5.1 mix.
I haven't seen the new version, and really have no desire to. But I was curious as to how the new transfer compared to the older disc. Having the original film is more important to me than a "better" transfer.

(insert flashbacks of Anchor Bay's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION here)
Old 10-21-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The original release is really getting harder to find for less than $10. After viewing the DC, I decided to get the original and it cost me a whole lot more than I thought it would.
Old 10-21-05, 08:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought the UE as a blind buy. My friend had been telling me a lot of great things about the movie, so I figured that it would probably be safe to get without seeing beforehand. I watched it and really enjoyed it. I don't mind the comic book sequences, but I'd like to see the film the way it originally was. I'm thinking about buying the original DVD, because it's at my local Blockbuster, but it's something like $25 CAD.