Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dumb and Dumber Unrated - 1/3/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the crappy bare bones release and it's just that, I will be getting this lets hope it's widescreen, and 5.1 this time.
Old 09-24-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE29
...lets hope it's widescreen...
You mean anamorphic widescreen? No doubt.

I'm thrilled about this. Love the movie, and was tempted by the bare bones disc (till I learned it was non-anamorphic), but knew a special edition must be in the works sooner or later. Was disappointed when Dumb and Dumberer came and went, and nothing happened.

To echo conscience's sentiments, now it's time to re-release the Ace Ventura films. OAR transfers, 16:9 encoded, extended content. Wouldn't that complete the Jim Carrey film collection in terms of "modernizing" the DVD releases?

--THX
Old 09-24-05, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my fav movies of all time, its worth the upgrade.
Old 09-24-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The review here at dvdtalk states the barebones is already anamorphic with a 5.1 mix. Of course, it also states the pic and sound isn't very good.

My copy says enhanced for 16x9 Widescreen tvs. Doesn't that mean anamorphic?

I'm sure a new tranfer, better mix, and special features would be great, but based on some of these posts, I was confused and wondering if there had been a letterboxed release and an anamorphic release.
Old 09-24-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
My copy of the original release is anamorphic.
Old 09-24-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The original and only release of this is anamorphic widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. I'm not aware of New Line dropping the WS side on this or any other of their titles, but I suppose it's possible.
Old 09-24-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pardon me, the review at IGN confused me:

This disc was made in 1997, the early days of DVD, when anamorphic transfers were rare and compression issues were not. This disc is no different. It's got a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer on one side and a fullscreen transfer on the other side.

Indeed, every other review I read indicates an anamorphic transfer. Thought I remembered them describing a non-anamorphic picture, but it would appear not. Rather surprised, though, how the IGN reviewer could have been so wrong about this, even drawing special attention to when the disc was made, and how that pertains to the presentation.

--THX
Old 09-24-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have'nt seen the original dvd release despite wanting to buy it for years(the price was just too high). But maybe it is 16.9 enhanced and does not state so on the packaging?

For example,I picked up Dark City in the $5 bin finally,but was nervous since there was no listing on it being 16.9 or not. Well the dvd is in fact 16.9 enhanced!

Anyway hopefully the 'unrated' version of this film will be decent. But if not,I'd get the PG-13 original version if the dvd is 16.9 enhanced!
Old 09-24-05, 11:04 PM

*double dips*

big gulps huh?
well see ya later.
Old 09-25-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does the world really need this?
Old 09-25-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
No, but this film is more deserving IMHO of an enhanced edition than some of the others that have been getting them (The New Guy, The Animal, Not Another Teen Movie).

Oh, and CertifiedTHX, maybe you should look to a real DVD site for reviews. IGN is more about games.

Last edited by Drexl; 09-25-05 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-25-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Just when I thought the studios were greedy and uncaring, milking fans for every cent they can, they go and do something like this......

...AND TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES!!!!!

Count me in
Old 09-25-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Oh, and CertifiedTHX, maybe you should look to a real DVD site for reviews. IGN is more about games.
I visit plenty of them, actually. DVDFILE is probably my first choice, provided they have a given DVD in their database. You can count on them to go the most in depth, carefully listing each of the extras and so forth. IGN is usually pretty good, from what I've seen (I appreciate how they exhibit actual screen shots from a DVD), but they did miss the ball on this one for whatever reason.

--THX
Old 09-25-05, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hate the beginning of this trend to finally do a good DVD version of a movie and only release an altered version. In some cases it works out, but often it is a weaker film. I haven't bought Mallrats due to the extension and while I have been waiting for a good Dumb and Dumber, this probably won't be it. I don't understand the thinking of the studios. They must figure that the people fell in love and enjoyed the original theatrical version, so let's not give them that, let's only give them this alternate.
Old 09-25-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Cool, I haven't picked this up yet. Now is the time.
Old 09-25-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot wait until 1/3/06.
Old 09-25-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jrsl76
I really hate the beginning of this trend to finally do a good DVD version of a movie and only release an altered version. In some cases it works out, but often it is a weaker film. I haven't bought Mallrats due to the extension and while I have been waiting for a good Dumb and Dumber, this probably won't be it. I don't understand the thinking of the studios. They must figure that the people fell in love and enjoyed the original theatrical version, so let's not give them that, let's only give them this alternate.
You do realize that the new Mallrats disc has both the 'extended' cut and the theatrical cut, right? If so, I don't see how you can complain about that disc, they give you the choice of which version you want to watch.
Old 09-25-05, 03:09 PM

good news. this is a true classic!
Old 09-25-05, 03:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I say yes.
Old 09-25-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Just out of curiosity, what movies are you thinking of?

The new release of Stripes features both theatrical and extended cuts.

--THX
Old 09-27-05, 04:24 AM

You want full details on extras?

• More than 24 minutes of deleted scenes
• More than 17 minutes of alternate scenes
• Two alternate endings
• "Still Dumb After All These Years" retrospective documentary
• Deleted short scenes montage with introduction by Jeff Daniels
• Theatrical trailer
• Two "fake" trailers
• 16x9 (1.85:1) widescreen version of the film
• DTS 6.1
• Dolby Digital 5.1
• Stereo Surround Sound 2.0

"...I got worms"
Old 09-27-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
OK, you just convinced me to double dip on this.
Old 09-27-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit, that sounds awesome. I'm not really a fan of extras, but that listing is making my mouth water. DTS 6.1 as well?
Old 09-27-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn DTS! The extras sound really good.
Old 09-27-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
You do realize that the new Mallrats disc has both the 'extended' cut and the theatrical cut, right? If so, I don't see how you can complain about that disc, they give you the choice of which version you want to watch.
Honestly, no, I did not realize that it also had the theatrical cut or I would have bought it last week. All the info I had seen only indicated the extended version. When both are provided, then the inclusion of an extended version is fine by me. As for Dumb and Dumber, I really wish they would release this with the theatrical as well. And in response to CertifiedTHX, I personally have a problem with the Stripes DVD as the method they chose to include the theatrical version wasn't seamless and so if you watch that version, there are very jarring transitions (including lost dialogue in one scene).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.