Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightmare Before Christmas: missed opportunity?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Nightmare Before Christmas: missed opportunity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Admiral7
"Battlestar Galactica" (I thought sure if they were re-releasing it, they'd at least make it anamorphic this time.) Uggggh!
Way off topic, but not only is this non-anamorphic, but it isn't even supposed to be widescreen in the first place. The full (unedited) film in proper 1.33:1 ratio is unfortunately only available in the full series boxed set.
Old 09-19-05, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
However, I'm a movie fan, not a videophile, so unless a transfer is absolutely awful, I generally don't give a shit. And this one is a pretty damn nice transfer for a non-anamorphic disc.
amen. the only titles I've been really disappointed with, as far as picture quality is concerned, to the point of making a noticable problem are the 10th anniversery Highlander and The Critic. The former because it's simply horrible to look at and the latter because the color isn't consistent enough between certain scenes. On the one hand, I sort of think that DVD's have created a consumer base of nit-picky bastards that should shut up and stop complaining all the time, but on the other hand, it is these people's attention to detail that has pushed studios to release some really impressive transfers. I might not mind seeing a less than perfect transfer, but that doesn't mean I don't absolutely love seeing movies like Star Wars and Superman with picture quality that wouldn't otherwise be worked towards having.
Old 09-19-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Both are stop-motion Tim Burton films, and Nightmare has a very large cult following.

Does there need to be anything else?
Am i right in thinking that Burton didn't direct Nightmare, I know they were characters he created, but i thought someone else directed it. I guess i should just check out my dvd or go to imdb before posting this but this pc is to slow and i'm lazy today.
Old 09-19-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Henry (James and the Giant Peach) Selick "officially" directed Nightmare Before Christmas, but the movie is so infused with Burton's ideas and designs and involvement that he might as well have been listed as co-director.
Old 09-19-05, 09:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
Henry (James and the Giant Peach) Selick "officially" directed Nightmare Before Christmas, but the movie is so infused with Burton's ideas and designs and involvement that he might as well have been listed as co-director.
well let's forget that the story was actually released in book form before it's film version:

Old 09-19-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burton was unable to direct The Nightmare Before Christmas due to Batman.

DJ
Old 09-19-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I do agree that the picture quality of the current disc is suprisingly decent for a non-anamoprhic DVD, especially considering how they crammed so many supplements plus a DTS track onto the same disc as the movie. I guess for whatever reason it must have been an easy picture to compress.
The relatively short 76 minute running time probably helped.
Old 09-20-05, 12:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2-disc special edition of ANBC would allow for the full-length documentary from the laser disc to be included, rather than the truncated version on the current DVD. Universal up-graded for JAWS, so it would seem prudent for Touchstone to do the same...