Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hardware (Dylan McDermott) - Where is it?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hardware (Dylan McDermott) - Where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Re: Hardware (Dylan McDermott) - Where is it?

Originally Posted by X
No problem at all for me.
Can you tell this to my wife? I'm constantly looking for a reason to upgrade, and if she thinks my player is breaking down, I may be in luck!
Old 10-22-09, 04:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It froze when I went to the extras menu. Then I ejected/loaded the disc and it froze at the beginning of the movie. Repeated eject/load and it was fine... movie and extras.
huh. it's funny, after receiving my 3<sup>rd</sup> set from Amazon today, i popped in both discs and neither would read in Sony player, read "disc is dirty" on both.

took them out, no scuffs or scratches, did some air canning, put back in and still not working. so i was all set to watch in the player i don't like to use as much because it started without a hiccup.

read your post and was going try the in/out trick. put the movie disc in the Sony and it booted no problem. manually skipped chapters and it was all good. tried the 2<sup>nd</sup> disc again and no problem. popped it out, put back movie and it is now fine.

so thanks TO!

and yeah, i like to see time remaining also and it isn't set for. that bugs me a bit, but at least it plays!! but strange, could be some were authored incorrectly or something.

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-28-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 06:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Can you tell this to my wife? I'm constantly looking for a reason to upgrade, and if she thinks my player is breaking down, I may be in luck!
I'd be happy to. Just let me know when you'll be out of town!

The player was a Philips 5992. It's not much of an "upgrade" though.
Old 10-28-09, 11:42 AM

just curious to see if anyone else who picked up this set has experienced problems loading either the movie disc or disc with special features?

after writing that it worked originally it actually stopped working in Sony player and no amount of eject in and out worked. popped it in my other region free player (Phillips 727) and got that vibrating/buzzing as well, but it played fine...both discs and the count down timer was good, but not the player i like to use. not doing the Amazon back and forth anymore.

i actually wrote to Severin as well telling them about the 3 sets i got from Amazon that were faulty and the slight ordeal to see if they have anything as a known issue.

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-28-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
..a hellacious buzz/vibration upon loading. Stops a few seconds into the opening credits for me ....
Yeah ..this. But my player is on its last legs anyway. The "hellacious" noises did not stop on my player however.

So I swapped the disc out to my XBox360 and that match up had no problem.
Old 10-28-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised I've never seen this until now, The BR looked amazing!
Old 10-28-09, 04:17 PM

it really is a much better movie then the folklore would have you believe.

seems like Stanley definitely had high hopes and some delusions of granduer of where he wanted to take it, especially in a sequel, but on its own, it is a pretty satisfying semi-The Terminator borrower.

got a note back from Severin saying: they had a couple of reports of problems, nothing on a vast scale. for my troubles they are sending a replacement set and some complimentary DVDs.
Old 10-29-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hardware - DVD problems

Originally Posted by scott1598
just curious to see if anyone else who picked up this set has experienced problems loading either the movie disc or disc with special features?
Yes. It arrived the other day from DVD Empire. I had some issues with Disc 1, on two different DVD players.

Player #1: Loaded disc. When main menu appeared, it sounded like Leatherface was inside the DVD player. This horrible noise continued as I played it. It stopped after I skipped forward to Chaper 2.

Player #2: Froze when I went to Audio Setup. I was only able to access the audio commentary by playing the film and manually pushing the Audio button. (Good thing this isn't a disc like Hannibal where you can only access the commentary through the audio menu!)

I had similar problems to this with some old Media Blasters DVDs. And I could actually smell the cheap plastic of the keep case. The disc looked kinda warped when I held it under a bright lamp.
Old 10-29-09, 10:10 AM

Re: Hardware - DVD problems

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Yes. It arrived the other day from DVD Empire. I had some issues with Disc 1, on two different DVD players.

Player #1: Loaded disc. When main menu appeared, it sounded like Leatherface was inside the DVD player. This horrible noise continued as I played it. It stopped after I skipped forward to Chaper 2.

Player #2: Froze when I went to Audio Setup. I was only able to access the audio commentary by playing the film and manually pushing the Audio button. (Good thing this isn't a disc like Hannibal where you can only access the commentary through the audio menu!)

I had similar problems to this with some old Media Blasters DVDs. And I could actually smell the cheap plastic of the keep case. The disc looked kinda warped when I held it under a bright lamp.
yeah, it seems like there is a problem with these discs on certain players. i had trouble on 2, not playing completely on 1 and playing but with that very loud buzz noise on the other. i have a feeling as more pick it up, the more we might hear of problems. hopefully the new one sent from the company itself is better.
Old 10-29-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, it seems like there is a problem with these discs on certain players. i had trouble on 2, not playing completely on 1 and playing but with that very loud buzz noise on the other. i have a feeling as more pick it up, the more we might hear of problems. hopefully the new one sent from the company itself is better.
We should write Severin about this. If we're lucky, they'll be good sports like Blue Underground w/ Blind Dead & provide some sort of disc exchange (if we're unlucky, they'll be like Magnolia w/ the LTROI subtitles). This isn't an isolated incident, and it's occurred through discs ordered from multiple mailorders. The flaw has to be at the source. The more people write to them, the better.
http://severin-films.com/contact.html
Old 10-30-09, 11:29 AM

We should write Severin about this. If we're lucky, they'll be good sports like Blue Underground w/ Blind Dead & provide some sort of disc exchange (if we're unlucky, they'll be like Magnolia w/ the LTROI subtitles). This isn't an isolated incident, and it's occurred through discs ordered from multiple mailorders. The flaw has to be at the source. The more people write to them, the better.
http://severin-films.com/contact.html
yup. as mentioned, i already did and they are sending me replacements.
Old 10-30-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I'm surprised I've never seen this until now, The BR looked amazing!
Same here. Very cool flick with some fantastic camerawork and imagery. Looks awesome on BD.
Old 10-31-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yup. as mentioned, i already did and they are sending me replacements.
They haven't responded to me yet. Did you email them or contact through their web form?

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 10-31-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 06:39 PM

got my free DVDs today from Severin, Hardware (still only effective in 1 of 2 players), but got 2 classics, so classic in fact i never even heard of them, but they look like fun (i especially love the "Hall of Fame Nudity" line on Screwballs):

Old 11-02-09, 08:22 PM

They haven't responded to me yet. Did you email them or contact through their web form?
i did the web form first and then e-mailed direct. heard back 2 or so days later after e-mail.
Old 11-02-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My order arrived from Diabolik today. The piece of plastic that went into the hole in the middle of Disc 2 had broken off completely. Disc 2 was scratched to all hell. I just emailed DiabolikDVD about it.

Last edited by dugan; 11-02-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bought a used copy of the DVD locally for $7.95 the other day. I wanted to get the BD but at the price I paid for the DVD, I'm fine with it.

Probably will watch it tonight to see if there are any problems with my disc.
Old 11-23-09, 04:23 PM

i actually got another e-mail from the guy at Severin who said a bunch of first run discs were authored incorrectly. they are using a different plant or something like that now. he has sent a corrected one out to me now.
Old 11-23-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 443 Likes on 257 Posts

i actually got another e-mail from the guy at Severin who said a bunch of first run discs were authored incorrectly. they are using a different plant or something like that now. he has sent a corrected one out to me now.
I've been holding off buying this because of the problems so many people are reporting. It's good to hear they are acknowledging there's a problem and have moved to fix it. My concern is whether there is a way to determine whether a DVD is from the 1st run...
Old 11-23-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here. As worded in the email: "There was a replication issue on a small batch of discs but thankfully this appears to be limited."

My replacement copy finally arrived this afternoon. Haven't spun the discs yet but held under my desk lamp they look much better.
Old 11-24-09, 09:30 AM

Same here. As worded in the email: "There was a replication issue on a small batch of discs but thankfully this appears to be limited."

My replacement copy finally arrived this afternoon. Haven't spun the discs yet but held under my desk lamp they look much better.
gtk. even though i was able to see it all, nice to be able to use my main player and not have any issues.
Old 11-24-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my replacement discs from Severin today and there were no problems. They are also sending me a complimentary disc from their catalog. Excellent customer service.

Great release.
Old 11-24-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I haven't watched my disc yet, but I'm really glad that Severin is offering quick replacements for this.

CS for companies like Anchor Bay, BU, Severin and so on are all superb.