Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eternal Wait (for that DVD you want)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are there any DVDs you've been waiting for a long time? This could be something as simple as a price drop, or it could be a re-released version because the version that's out now you don't like.

Basically, what's a DVD you see and you say to yourself over and over... "If only it were cheaper" and/or "If it had this special feature"...

We're not talking about movies not on DVD yet. There's approximately 19,421 threads devoted to that.

I've been waiting for Seven and Magnolia to drop in price for years. (I have the first flipper and I'm not paying over $20 for a non-anamorphic DVD). Ever since Gregory Dorr wrote "I'm laying heavy wagers we'll see a second, feature-packed Magnolia: Special Edition sometime in the future" in his dvdjournal review of the DVD, I've been patiently waiting for something to be done with this movie.

Back to the Future has dropped to a very acceptable $20-25 for the trilogy, but why is Indiana Jones still so expensive?

Dracula Superbit I've also been avoiding because it's $25. I got it because one copy was mistakenly priced at the regular version price ($10 or $15 I think).

It's not a matter of budgeting, because $5 on any single DVD really isn't that much, it's more of a matter of principle. Also, the heavy discounting of DVDs drives me wild anytime I see one for $20 or more. Usually the first week a DVD is on sale you can get it for $15-18, then it goes to $20-25, then a couple of months later it's down to $10 or $15. I know time is on my side.

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The superbit sale knocked a ton off my list, Dracula in particular, so at the top of my list right now is The World War II Collection with Saving Private Ryan. Since I've got the DTS edition, I just can't justify spending over $25 on special features.
Old 09-15-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With Columbia House, I am able to get a large percentage of DVDs on my wanted list for around seven bucks. Sure, they don't carry everything, but I won't buy a DVD somewhere else if CH has it.

That said, the only DVDs that I really wait on are TV box sets. Other than that, Satan's Little Helper will finally be released on DVD soon, but the price point is around $20. I'll wait.
Old 09-15-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the current $20 version of sever (thats 15 bucks and under at most stores) is disc 1 of the platinum dvd sans comentaries, so its on one side, dd 5.1 dts 6.1.
Old 09-16-05, 12:05 AM

Still waiting on The Shawshank Redemption 2-disc edition to drop. It's one of my all-time favorite movies but I will not pay $20 for a DVD. In my area if you're patient you can find almost anything for around $10-$12 if you know where to look yet this never goes on sale.
Old 09-16-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
I keep a list of all the movies I want. I put them on the list when I hear about their release or see them in the theatre. The rest of them I'm waiting for a better release or a price drop.
1. Mean Girls
2. Maverick
3. Wag the Dog
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Shrek 2
6. Batman Begins
7. Meet the Fockers
8. Quick Change
9. Star Wars EP 3
10. Die Hard with a Vengence
11. Blues Brothers
12. Sin City special edition
13. Star Trek 2
14. Star Trek 4
15. Star Trek 6
16. Office (UK) season 1
17. Office (US) season 1
18. Three Kings
19. Rounders
20. Toy Story
21. 40 Year Old Virgin
22. Toy Story 2
23. Wrestlemania box set
24. Iron Giant
25. Dog Day Afternoon
Old 09-16-05, 12:55 AM

I want the Adaption SE!

That and maybe some price drops on HBO sets so I could pick up Six Feet Under without giving up a kidney.
Old 09-16-05, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This topic is "discs you're to cheap to buy"?
Old 09-16-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think Indy will never price drop....

some movies don't need to. Star Wars, Godfather (technically this one did get a small price drop) , Disney, etc. They just put them out, when it tails off they pull them and do a new version with a new perk....

just grab em on sale and enjoy it
Old 09-16-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have mentioned, using CH helps keep the average cost down, and rewards your patience. I just re-upped now that the James Dean movies are enrollment items, so for a large chunk of my DVDs, the average stays below $7.00. That way I don't feel so bad (or broke) when I need to cough up for a higher-priced item.
Old 09-16-05, 12:09 PM

Blade Runner is one movie that needs a new edition and i would be all over it like white on rice.

X-Men: Complete Series talking about the 90's series which also needs to be released on DVD and would complete my child hood cartoon collection (not quite cause i need transformers, GI Joe, and TMNT.)
Old 09-16-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bladerunner
Superman 2
The Last Emperor

Not too cheap for me to buy the present editions, but waiting for all the legal crap to be cleared so a proper DVD treatment can be given to these movies.
Old 09-16-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

4. Lethal Weapon

ive seen it for under 10 bucks at walmart
Old 09-16-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I keep a list of all the movies I want. I put them on the list when I hear about their release or see them in the theatre. The rest of them I'm waiting for a better release or a price drop.
1. Mean Girls
2. Maverick
3. Wag the Dog
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Shrek 2
6. Batman Begins
7. Meet the Fockers
8. Quick Change
9. Star Wars EP 3
11. Blues Brothers
13. Star Trek 2
14. Star Trek 4
15. Star Trek 6
16. Office (UK) season 1
17. Office (US) season 1
18. Three Kings
19. Rounders
20. Toy Story
21. 40 Year Old Virgin
22. Toy Story 2
23. Wrestlemania box set
24. Iron Giant
25. Dog Day Afternoon

Rounders just had a SE released with good extras about a year ago. Lethal Weapon has the directors cut so I dont think that one will be re released either. Many movies need SE's. Magnolia, Killing Zoe, Kill Bill(s) come to mind.
Old 09-16-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a bit confused about the topic of this thread...as someone said above, is this basically "discs that I want that are too expensive?" Or is it, "where's a special/better edition of this?" Or both?

And as for Magnolia, despite what one single person said in a review, it's highly doubtful that a better edition will come along. P.T. Anderson movies generally seem to have enough content for one disc, but spread over two discs so as to give the movie the best possible presentation (except, I guess, for Hard Eight). It's been that way for three out of four movies, and it seems to be the "style" he favors. So why would there be another edition of Magnolia? I believe I recall an interview where Anderson said that he didn't want to do a commentary on it, the movie looks and sounds great, and it has an awesome documentary. Just because some reviewer wasn't satisfied with the quantity of special features, it doesn't mean that there will be a new edition.

And Indiana Jones is expensive while BTTF is not because they are from different studios which have different ideas about pricing.

And I'm also confused about how you won't spend over $20 on a non-anamorphic DVD in reference to Seven and Magnolia, both of which are anamorphic.

But anyway, in regards to price drops, it's only frustrating to me when it's extreme and soon after I purchase something. Like with the original Donnie Darko disc. I bought it at Best Buy for around $25 when it came out, and now it's around $10 (of course, then I got rid of it, anyway, but that's a different story).
Old 09-16-05, 01:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
I'm a bit confused about the topic of this thread...as someone said above, is this basically "discs that I want that are too expensive?" Or is it, "where's a special/better edition of this?" Or both?

And as for Magnolia, despite what one single person said in a review, it's highly doubtful that a better edition will come along. P.T. Anderson movies generally seem to have enough content for one disc, but spread over two discs so as to give the movie the best possible presentation (except, I guess, for Hard Eight). It's been that way for three out of four movies, and it seems to be the "style" he favors. So why would there be another edition of Magnolia? I believe I recall an interview where Anderson said that he didn't want to do a commentary on it, the movie looks and sounds great, and it has an awesome documentary. Just because some reviewer wasn't satisfied with the quantity of special features, it doesn't mean that there will be a new edition.

And Indiana Jones is expensive while BTTF is not because they are from different studios which have different ideas about pricing.

And I'm also confused about how you won't spend over $20 on a non-anamorphic DVD in reference to Seven and Magnolia, both of which are anamorphic.

But anyway, in regards to price drops, it's only frustrating to me when it's extreme and soon after I purchase something. Like with the original Donnie Darko disc. I bought it at Best Buy for around $25 when it came out, and now it's around $10 (of course, then I got rid of it, anyway, but that's a different story).

for some reason i thought Magnolia weas non anamorphic...being that it is anamporphic, its fine the way it is
Old 09-16-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
1. Mean Girls
2. Maverick
3. Wag the Dog
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Shrek 2
6. Batman Begins
7. Meet the Fockers
8. Quick Change
9. Star Wars EP 3
11. Blues Brothers
13. Star Trek 2
14. Star Trek 4
15. Star Trek 6
16. Office (UK) season 1
17. Office (US) season 1
18. Three Kings
19. Rounders
20. Toy Story
21. 40 Year Old Virgin
22. Toy Story 2
23. Wrestlemania box set
24. Iron Giant
25. Dog Day Afternoon

Ummm, you can get Mean Girls at Coconuts for $1.99 or less (after rebate) right now at Coconuts.
Old 09-16-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear with my list. I should have also added that there are a lot of them that I just haven't picked up for laziness, lack of cash, etc. I was kind of out of it when I posted it last night.
Old 09-16-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a short list off the top of my head.

PRICE:
Friday the 13th: Crystal Lake To Manhattan
RAMBO Collection
Scary Movie 1, 2, 3.5

BETTER TRANSFER:
Blade Runner
Entire James Bond Collection
Old 09-16-05, 05:00 PM
Banned

Toy Story. When I get some $, I am def. going to pick up the new 2 disc AE Edition.
Old 09-16-05, 05:03 PM

Scream - anamorphic R1!
Old 09-16-05, 05:08 PM

since finishing Stargate SG-1 seasons 1-7 ( minus 2 of the last episodes on the last disk of season 7, have to return it to DDD), I cant wait for season 8 to come out... then of course when I blow through that, season 9, then I can start on Atlantis.

Also for the REAL first season of Battlestar Galactica, really liked the miniseries.
Old 09-16-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The same ones I've been bitchin' about for 4 years.

Inside Moves
The Other
The Addiction
Crack In the World
Old 09-16-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
As far as the desire goes for price drops, Just about ANY anime movie or series.
Old 09-16-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
As far as the desire goes for price drops, Just about ANY anime movie or series.
hell yes, while i already own cowboy bebop, i am rebuying, since i am a sucker for a good 5.1 soundtrack over a 2.0 track. (and in my personal opinion, i thought the sync was a tad off for the japanese track in the original 2.0 releases.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.