Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

AFTER MIDNIGHT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFTER MIDNIGHT Problem

MGM's upcoming release of the anthology AFTER MIDNIGHT, due 9/20, is not in anamorphic widescreen, despite the info on the packaging. The film has letterboxed at 1.85:1, but the transfer is not 16 x 9.

On a similar, but not as serious note, MGM's upcoming DOLLS, also due 9/20, has a picture on the main menu which isn't from that film. It's a still which is from some prison film as someone is about to be executed. Weird!
Old 09-15-05, 09:08 AM

I am not bothered by the Dolls thing, but After Midnight really disappoints. I haven't seen the movie and it doesn't look like I will now.

How does this happen? What happens between production and authoring? It seems like something so simple to catch.

What kind of TV are you watching it on? If it is widescreen, how does it look stretched/zoomed?

I am pretty sure I will pass on it, but then again when will it ever be re-released?
Old 09-15-05, 09:18 PM

Using the zoom feature, the image looks OK, but of course, some info from the top and bottom of the screen are lost. The problem is that this isn't the greatest transfer ever, and zooming really accentuates the dirt and grain on the image.

Also, that picture from the DOLLS menu which doesn't belong actually comes from FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM, which, once again, is coming from MGM on 9/20.

Last edited by Mike Long; 09-15-05 at 09:52 PM.