Reload this Page >

3rd Rock Syndicated Cuts?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-27-05, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the season one release of 3rd Rock from the Sun is the full episodes or syndicated cuts? They seem a little short, and some have bad edits I don't remember seeing when it ran on NBC. Other Carsey-Werner productions have been released edited, so this wouldn't surprise me. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-05, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Doubtful. The set has been out fora month, others would have noticed by now for sure.
Old 08-27-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
I would lay my money on that they're syndicated episodes. It's just that no one on here (at least not yet) has the original broadcast to compare and confirm.
Old 08-27-05, 11:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I would lay my money on that they're syndicated episodes.
Since its put out by Anchor Bay that is probably a safe bet.
Old 08-28-05, 12:39 AM

They are the syndicated cuts. Anchor Bay just won't issue a statement, or answer an email, confirming it.
Old 08-28-05, 01:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Isn't anyone else disturbed by this trend? And is there anything we can do about it?
Old 08-28-05, 01:18 AM

Tvshowsondvd says the 3rd Rock cuts are the syndie ones http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3975
Old 08-28-05, 01:45 AM

Just as I suspected... Oh well, I guess that means that mine will be going on Ebay immediately. I'm glad that I didn't pay but $18.99 for it...
Old 08-28-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the region two sets? I am sure the running times are automatically shorter because of PAL speedup but does anybody know if they contain the syndicated cuts as well?
Old 01-08-09, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 3rd Rock Syndicated Cuts?

This is an insanely old thread, but I saw my dad watching a 3rd Rock episode the other day and I remembered how much I enjoyed watching the show. I looked it up on Amazon and saw this business about syndicated cuts.

I was wondering if Anchor Bay ever was able to obtain the original broadcast episodes, or at least did so for future seasons past the first one, or did the trend continue through all six seasons?
Old 01-23-09, 02:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I was wondering if Anchor Bay ever was able to obtain the original broadcast episodes, or at least did so for future seasons past the first one, or did the trend continue through all six seasons?
Despite seasons 3-6 claiming "uncut episodes" on the boxes, they contain the syndication cuts just as the first two season box sets did. This does not seem to be common knowledge however, as the complaints surrounding the first two season box sets were much louder. But as someone who watched the later seasons in their original run (I even have VHS recordings of many of the original broadcasts to compare) the cuts are definitely still there on the DVDs.
Old 03-28-09, 01:01 PM

I was just upgrading my DVD Aficionado page and there's an "Out Of Print" notation next to 3rd Rock season one. Has anyone heard if the set is to finally be replaced with an unsyndicated one?
Old 03-28-09, 08:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cuzzin
Despite seasons 3-6 claiming "uncut episodes" on the boxes, they contain the syndication cuts just as the first two season box sets did. This does not seem to be common knowledge however, as the complaints surrounding the first two season box sets were much louder. But as someone who watched the later seasons in their original run (I even have VHS recordings of many of the original broadcasts to compare) the cuts are definitely still there on the DVDs.
I never heard that about seasons 3-6. I got the region 2 sets of season 1 and 2 because of the cuts, but I only got those two because I thought 3-6 were ok. I do remember watching the first episode side by side of the region 1 and region 2 sets and what was interesting is the cuts were very minor (an entrance or exit from a room, etc). It was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly, but something made me think the region 1 set is also time compressed (which would account for the minimal edits). Maybe I did a side by side with one of my VHS recordings from NBC.

Anybody else have specific cuts they know about?
Old 03-29-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, I forgot all about this...I went ahead and picked up all the season sets in region 1 (though I was contemplating region 2) and forgot about this. I didn't even notice the cuts.
Old 03-29-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So the UK versions are uncut then?
Old 03-29-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the UK DVDs are the winners in most cases here...

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/search.php

However, I noted that the later seasons show longer running times on the US versions than on the UK versions.

I don't know...shoot...I am just glad we got the series on DVD. Why they choose syndication versions over original broadcast versions bugs me but I am still glad to have the show.

HOWEVER, if I realized all this before I bought them, I would have gladly paid a few bucks more to get the region two editions. So if you're somebody shopping around for them, you know more about these than I did when I bought them (As far as I can recall, I couldn't find any info online about the differences from region one and region two when I decided to just by the US versions.)

Last edited by calhoun07; 03-29-09 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess it depends. Is anything really huge cut out or are they all as mentioned here, just little minor trims like people entering and exiting a room?
Old 03-31-09, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I noted that the later seasons show longer running times on the US versions than on the UK versions.
does that take the pal speedup into account
Old 03-31-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dishpan
does that take the pal speedup into account
That would not account for two PLUS minutes per episode.

Did your read the reviews of each set at the link I provided above? Your question would have been answered there.
Old 04-13-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to bump this topic again, but I was just watching some of my 3rd Rock DVDs, and the later seasons seem to be complete, based on running times being consistent with shows from that era (about 22:07 in seasons 3 and 4, and 21:38 in seasons 5 and 6). Not that I have statistics about that, of course, and I did check around online, but couldn't easily locate a resource. It's just that 22 minutes seems about right for that era. And suddenly there was a change of about 30 seconds, so it seems that NBC decided to throw in one more commercial spot that year.

Looking at DVDCompare, they claim there are no cuts on the episodes, and show the same running times as my region 1 DVDs do.

"cuzzin," in this thread above, claimed there were cuts. calhoun07, you say there are "two plus" minutes difference between the region 1 and the UK releases, but the difference is only about 49 seconds. Since the PAL speedup is 4%, a 22:07 episode should come out to about 21:14, which is just about exactly what the PAL episodes are listed at on DVDCompare.

So it does look like, according to DVDCompare and my DVDs that the episodes in seasons 3-6 are complete.