Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "And All That Could Have Been.Nine Inch Nails Live....

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-25-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know why it's a double DVD set? The entire thing amounts to approximately 1hr and 20min.....
Old 08-26-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no real reason why this is over 2 discs, I have this and the cd version and I think that was over 2 discs as well. Try to find the DVDtalk review of this DVD and you will understand why this disc is a letdown. The picture and sound quality is not good enough to warrent 2 discs and there is not enough extras or easter eggs either.
A very poor set that is a disappointment as there is no video collection of his songs and trent is so into his technology.
Old 08-26-05, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
actually i feel quite the opposite...

i collect music video and concert dvds and i found this one to be extremely good. the picture and sound quality varies but thats for good reason. some scenes are filmed with the professional cameras but trent also gave out handheld digital videocameras to random fans in the audience to record the show, which he then collected afterwards to splice together into a unique viewing experience. so those parts are strange angles and not as high quality picture, but the sound is awesome. i believe it is spread over two discs because there is multiple audio tracks including dts and there are at least five complete song performances hidden throughout the discs as easter eggs. that increases the total running time and data count.
dan
Old 08-26-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I have this too. There are not two soundtracks though. There are separate versions for DTS and DD. I think it is a great disc though I'm not sure why it is over two discs either. The sound is top notch and there are some easter eggs, though ridiculously hard to find.
Old 08-26-05, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cd version is one disc. a limited version in a slipcase was released with a bonus remix cd called "still".

everything dishpan dan says is right on. i don't know why anyone would be disappointed with this release. dts sound, hidden tracks, alternate viewing angles, and commentary over a few tracks.

still waiting on the dvd video collection...
Old 08-26-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by feloosa
cd version is one disc. a limited version in a slipcase was released with a bonus remix cd called "still".

everything dishpan dan says is right on. i don't know why anyone would be disappointed with this release. dts sound, hidden tracks, alternate viewing angles, and commentary over a few tracks.

still waiting on the dvd video collection...
is the DVD video collection in the works? as i know only Closure DVD in the works...

BTW, is the AATCHB DVD a digi-pack?
Old 08-26-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes it is a digi-pack and a very nice one at that, it matches the cd version. Dishpan, I to collect music/concert dvds and I thought compared to the Depeche Mode ones they were not as good. I totally take on board the remarks about different filming techniques. I didn't know about the fans doing filming, very nice of trent to give these out.
I saw NIN at the Brixton Acadamy recently and was blown away, as I've been dying to see him for ages, he done alot of old tracks that surprised me, what with a new album and the track "Only" released as a single at the same time. Again good to see he doesn't do what other current bands do and whore out their current catalogue.
Checking my DVD and I seem to have a DD only disc.
Old 08-26-05, 04:32 PM

no idea what's in the works w/ NIN dvds.

"and all that could have been" is in a digipack. don't have the dvd in front of me, but i believe it's a two disc gatefold with an insert flap that fits into a thin slip case. the version of "the great below" is enough of a reason to buy this dvd. amazingly powerful performance.
Old 08-27-05, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just remembered something about the london concert, there were about 5-6 cameramen around the stage, some on the upper levels.
A new DVD soon? or perhaps he just likes recording his concerts. Like I said he didn't do alot of new songs.
Old 09-06-05, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
is the DVD video collection in the works? as i know only Closure DVD in the works...

BTW, is the AATCHB DVD a digi-pack?
I've been waiting for the DVD release of Closure... Sweet!

Originally Posted by jdslater1
Just remembered something about the london concert, there were about 5-6 cameramen around the stage, some on the upper levels.
A new DVD soon? or perhaps he just likes recording his concerts. Like I said he didn't do alot of new songs.
When did you see Trent & friends? In July? I saw him in May, and there was a good mixture of old and new music.
It would be cool if there was a new DVD
Old 09-06-05, 09:12 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there anything, no matter how minor, included on the DD version that's not on the DTS one, or vice versa?
Old 09-06-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scotlandforever, I saw him 4th july at the Brixton Acadamy, with a rapper called Saul Williams, he wasn't bad. Your right, it was a good mixture of old and new but I did want some more of the newer or slower stuff and I would have loved to hear Ruiner live.
I have this idea that the cameras were to cover a new song and release that as one of those songs "for the fans" if you now what I mean.
Old 09-06-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Is there anything, no matter how minor, included on the DD version that's not on the DTS one, or vice versa?
They are both the same. Just different soundtracks.
Old 09-06-05, 02:13 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Cool...thanks...DTS it will be...
Old 09-06-05, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The dts version doesn't allow you to change camera angles during la mer, the great below, and the mark has been made. It's not much though. On the dd version you can choose to watch those songs with the regular editing, or from a single camera far back to focus on the video screens. I have the dd version and I always just watch it with the regular editing. If you get the dts version you aren't missing much.
Old 09-06-05, 07:14 PM
Banned

Let me get clarification--are the two camera angles available on the DTS version, but you can only select one of the two for the entire playback (in other words, no "switching angles on the fly"), or does the DTS only include one of the two angles and the other is not even presented as a option at all?
Old 09-06-05, 09:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
you just can't switch the angles on the fly. The "alternate angle" is available in the special features of the dvd. I HAD the DD DVD, but traded it for the DTS. As usual, I find the DTS to be superior.