Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

are superbit dvds region free?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are superbit dvds region free?

I wanted to pick up the Tears of the Sun Superbit from R3 and I had read somewhere that they were region free (which I guess would explain all the different subtitles on the discs). I just need confirmation that it would indeed work in my R1 player.
Old 08-25-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the International Forum, which specializes in issues like this. Do a search for "superbit" over there and you're bound to find a few discussions of the R3 Superbits.

DJ
Old 08-25-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the region 3 Superbits will also play in Region 1, but they're not Region free. The exception to this is Men In Black, which for some reason won't play in Region 1.
I have the region 3 Tears of the Sun and it works fine in my region 1 player.

I've also heard that the bonus disc with the Region 3 Hollow man doesn't work in Region 1 players, but haven't yet tested that.
Old 08-25-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
I wanted to pick up the Tears of the Sun Superbit from R3 and I had read somewhere that they were region free (which I guess would explain all the different subtitles on the discs). I just need confirmation that it would indeed work in my R1 player.
You heard it from me.

DVDHeaven.com seems to have the best price on this disc as of right now. Shipping isn't free but it is a good deal. Also, check out CDwow (search DVDTalk for coupons to use ---especially a $2 off coupon.)
Old 08-25-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
NTSC Superbits are generally R1, R3, and R2 encoded. Some titles though may be set for one region though if another distributor shares rights with it.

I.E. Tears of the Sun is R1, R3, and R2. Air Force One is R1 only due to Touchstone Pictures having the distribution rights to it outside of the US and Canada.