Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The DVDTalk DVD Draft Game

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jfrost
I don't think it has anything to do with bare bones pre-releases... it has to do with box sets that contain the SE's that are individually available.
I don't think it was about the SE's. I think it was that you can't have a set that is a collection of previously released dvds. Like the LOTR set was just a collection of the extended edition dvds. I don't think it had anything extra. I don't really know how bonus discs would factor into this though.
Old 08-25-05, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exharrison
I don't think it was about the SE's. I think it was that you can't have a set that is a collection of previously released dvds. Like the LOTR set was just a collection of the extended edition dvds. I don't think it had anything extra. I don't really know how bonus discs would factor into this though.
In which case The Adventures of Antoine Doinel would still be eligible since only one of the movies was ever previously released and the new disc is a significant improvement including a new short feature on the disc.
Old 08-25-05, 10:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oy vey. All of this is giving me a headache. I'll work out all the pending issues tommorrow.

New rules:

Only one boxset per player
Only one television season set per player

(all other picks must be individual movies)
Old 08-25-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
In which case The Adventures of Antoine Doinel would still be eligible since only one of the movies was ever previously released and the new disc is a significant improvement including a new short feature on the disc.
Well, ultimately, that is for Groucho to decide. But you have explained your argument, so maybe he will change his mind, maybe not.
Old 08-25-05, 10:24 PM

Sign-ups now closed

We can now start reverse picks for round two, beginning with TNAJason.

illennium - I've been convinced...I'm going to allow "The Adventures of Antoine Doinel"

Last edited by Groucho; 08-25-05 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why was I bumped?
Old 08-26-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Why was I bumped?
I think because this has not been easy for Groucho to supervise. The administering of the rules is a bit of an undertaking and mistakes will be made. Hopefully Groucho does something to put you back in.
Old 08-26-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why doesn't Drexl take over one of the spots where they have failed to make a replacement pick?
Old 08-26-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why doesn't Drexl take over one of the spots where they have failed to make a replacement pick?
That was the first idea I thought of.
Old 08-26-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Regarding "Warner's Legends" which I picked:

These were each released individually on the same day as the set... I think they should be counted individually. Thoughts?
I think I'm going to disallow both The Matrix Collection and Warner Legends.
The individual Toy Story discs were released on the same day as the Toy Box, so I think it's still eligible.
By this logic my pick of "Warner's Legends" should be ALLOWED or "The Toy Story Box Set" should be DISALLOWED.

(How about we start all over again and disallow ALL box sets? Just like baseball players in the draft, we are drafting one movie/player at a time--not teams or partial teams. It might make it easier?)
Old 08-26-05, 09:57 AM

Sorry, Drexl...you've been added back in.

This means that TNAJason is now first alternate, and will take the place of any player that drops out.

It's now Round 2, and darkhawk is up!

Regarding the "Toy Story Box," weren't the discs in that different than the discs available in the other releases?
Old 08-26-05, 11:14 AM

New rule to "keep things moving":

When it is your turn to pick, you have 1 hour to do so. After that time, the next person in line can make their pick. You will still be able to go back and make your pick again at any time. This rule does not apply on weekends or after 5pm Pacific Time.

IDrinkMolson, you're up!
Old 08-26-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 189 Posts
I know there was a 2 disc and 3 disc release of toy story films on the same day but I don't remember if the film discs were any different. They were not available seperately though.
Old 08-26-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

When it is your turn to pick, you have 1 hour to do so. After that time, the next person in line can make their pick. You will still be able to go back and make your pick again at any time. This rule does not apply on weekends or after 5pm Pacific Time.

IDrinkMolson, you're up!
I like the rule, but when does it start in the morning? How about 7 or 8 AM PST.
Old 08-26-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that you may have bitten off more than you can chew with this thread Groucho. BTW, I want to clarify my first pick. My pick was for the John Woo movie, not the double feature noir set(The Killers).
Old 08-26-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Franchot
Regarding "Warner's Legends" which I picked:

By this logic my pick of "Warner's Legends" should be ALLOWED or "The Toy Story Box Set" should be DISALLOWED.

(How about we start all over again and disallow ALL box sets? Just like baseball players in the draft, we are drafting one movie/player at a time--not teams or partial teams. It might make it easier?)
Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box was released with content not available individually... while Warner Legend's did not. I think this is the differentiator. As for the Ultimate Matrix Collection, I think it should still count... It has new transfers/audio tracks and many more extras then available separately.
Old 08-26-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's my thought on this:

All boxsets and re-releases should be allowed. It's only fair.

What should be disallowed are the fake "Bonus Packs!" where two DVDs are just shrinkwrapped. (Minority Report / AI 2-disc, for example).
Old 08-26-05, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it's "no" on The Matrix Collection for me? Oh well. I'll take The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - Extended Edition.
Old 08-26-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box was released with content not available individually... while Warner Legend's did not. I think this is the differentiator. As for the Ultimate Matrix Collection, I think it should still count... It has new transfers/audio tracks and many more extras then available separately.
The Warner Bros Collection was released the same day as the DVDs individually and were not available prior, same as the Ultimate Toy Box. I don't see a problem with either. The Alien Quadrilogy was released prior to the restored cut were released individually, but were released prior in the Alien Legacy, and I think at least one of them is an identical cut. Borderline to me. Indentical cuts of all the Matrix movies were available prior to the release of the Matrix Collection. I agree it shouldn't have been allowed. The 400 Blows was available prior to the Adventures of Antoine Doinel, but I don't have a problem with that one.

The individual Godfathers weren't available until months after the release of the Godfather Collection.
Old 08-26-05, 03:52 PM
Defunct Account

My thoughts are the opposite of The Bus. I think no sets should be allowed. How can a four or five movie set compete with a single disc? They aren't on the same footing. How do you rate a bad film in a box set? Does the Godfather set get marks against it since the forth (wretched) film is included? Or is it just ignored?

Also, I didn't pick the The Adventures of Antoine Doinel since the rules said it wouldn't be allowed.

One more question: What is the definition of a boxed set? Is a moive with a disc of extras a boxed set (I'd say no.) What about something like "O" where there is a second movie on the disc. (I'd still say that's not a boxed set.) What about two movies in one case like the Criterion "Killers"? Since there's only one set allowed, I think we should define this soon.

So, how are the match-ups at the end going to work. I suggest that everyone write a short paragraph about why your choice is the best, and then Groucho pairs them up. He can post the first pair and everyone who is in the contest votes. The most votes win. Wadda ya think?

Last edited by videophile; 08-26-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by videophile
How do you rate a bad film in a box set? Does the Godfather set get marks against it since the forth (wretched) film is included? Or is it just ignored?
There are only three Godfather films. And have you actually seen the third one? Or are you just saying the third is 'wretched' because it's the cool thing to do?
Old 08-26-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

IDrinkMolson, you're up!
Oh crap, didn't see this.... don't see an updated list

Is Supergirl LE still available?

I have a few I want here, but I'm not sure where to check if it was the first version released.

AH, now I see the updated list, I was nervous.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 08-26-05 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So no picks so far today... who all are now eligible to make their round two selections?
Old 08-26-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Actually, why is my first round pick "Pending" on the first page?
Do I have to say "1980"?

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showpost.ph...2&postcount=69
Old 08-26-05, 04:40 PM

Sorry, fixed. Drexl is now up...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.