Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Growing trend of scratched up disc's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Growing trend of scratched up disc's?

I just purchased King Of The Hill Season 3 & 4 at walmart today and at least 1 disc in each set was scratched and scuffed right out of the box, Is this something thats becoming more of a problem because some dvds are made in mexico or? Ive had about 4 dvds other then this purchased from various places that have also been scratched right out of the box. What should i do in a situation like this? Seems like if 2 of them were scratched there all going to be.
Old 08-24-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It probably doesn't have to do with them being made in Mexico, per say, because I've gotten scratched discs from other places. Lately, though; whether from manufacturing standards or lazy retailers, I've gotten more scratched discs than when I first started with DVD. I'm not sure if some of the cheaper cases do this, or whether it has to do with cheap manufacturing or even retailers jamming too much product into boxes or on shelves.

This may be irrevelant, but I've gotten many Sony (Columbia or Screen Gems) discs lately that have been very dusty right from the package. I don't know where they were made, however they haven't had the clean look that I've been getting from Warner, Universal, etc.

I'd sure exchange a scratched disc. I've found that stores often get bad batches, this sounds like a shipping problem to me, and you could try another set. I know a few months back I got two Be Cool dvds that were scratched and finally got a third one from another store that was okay.
Old 08-24-05, 08:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of scrated disks, I'm holding off from buying the Star Trek Original box sets because of all the scratched disks I've heard about. Anyone know if they've been fixed?
Old 08-24-05, 08:26 PM

Thanks Will, Do you think they would be reluctant to trade them sense both sets are like that?
Old 08-24-05, 08:45 PM

I think it is a growing trend because I too have opened far too many cases in the last year to year and a half to find scatched, scuffed, or fingerprinted discs, when before it was very rare that I would find any imperfections. For example, I just bought the new releases of Gladiator, New Jack City, and The Transporter yesterday and disc three of Gladiator was scuffed and had a huge fingerprint on it (sticker on back reads "made in Mexico") and The Transporter had a scuff on it as well. I (being the anal collector that I am), get extremely pissed when this happens due to the time, and most importantly the GAS that it takes to exchange them. The A/V quality is going upward lately but the packaging quality is going to hell in a handbasket!
Old 08-24-05, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by boss429
The A/V quality is going upward lately but the packaging quality is going to hell in a handbasket!
Totally agree.
Old 08-24-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its mexico
Old 08-24-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bballing
its mexico
That's funny because I blame the white man for this! The white man in its effort to make more money has resorted to using cheaper cases!

But then, I always blame the white man.
Old 08-24-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
To the original poster, I don't think returning them should be a problem. Just let them know you aren't satisfied and if there's a problem talk to a manager. I've never personally had a problem even without a receipt except at circuit city, where they said without a receipt they couldn't do anything.
Old 08-24-05, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
That's funny because I blame the white man for this! The white man in its effort to make more money has resorted to using cheaper cases!

But then, I always blame the white man.
Thats true about the companys being cheap but i dont think its an issue with the dvd cases as these dvds i just got are double sided and the side that had the scratchs was the one faceing the bottom of the case. I would sooner say its how they are handling them like the other poster said he had fingerprints on his discs, To me if they were handled right there wouldnt even be a finger print on them thats how they were a couple years ago.
Old 08-25-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be repackaged discs that were returned to stores and sent back?
Old 08-25-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that it's people returning the discs and the store just re-shrinkwrapping them and putting them back out on the shelf. I ordered a DVD from Deep Discount a few months ago and you could tell when it arrived that it had been opened and repackaged. When I took the disc out, it was scuffed and smudged. Another time I ordered seasons 1 and 2 of Everyone Loves Raymond, and while neither season had any damaged discs, both arrived with no shrinkwrap.
Old 08-25-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gotten more scratched discs in the last year than I had in the previous 4 combined. And in all of those, the disc was not loose in the case. I'm nervous everytime I buy a new dvd.

I stated this in another thread: that it seems record companies have much better manufacturing standards than movie studios. I've never bought a new cd that was scratched. But I get a scratched dvd about once a week. Sometimes worse.
Old 08-25-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone notice the OP is from michigan, land of the 'do not outsource my job'? is the OP michael moore? :P

j/k. i've not had much problems with scratched disks unless it involves a broken case.
Old 08-25-05, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
anyone notice the OP is from michigan, land of the 'do not outsource my job'? is the OP michael moore? :P

j/k. i've not had much problems with scratched disks unless it involves a broken case.
lol no way :P hate that guy. Anyway, Took the 2 sets back and they gave me new ones but one set had a couple little scratchs. Not as bad as the other ones so im not going to worry about it.
Old 08-25-05, 09:06 PM

It's definitely the white man.
Old 08-25-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's actually the big fat stupid white man
Old 08-25-05, 10:53 PM

Willh51,

I remember earlier this year CC TV commecials where they brag about how they keep all your purchase information in case you lose or misplace yours!!!

I also have noticed getting more disks that are loose in the case when I open them. Most recently the 3rd Season of Andy Griffith disk 3 had several scratches on it, however it still played fine. There were two disks in the Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman set, the one with the busts, these were so bad they wouldn't even play.
Old 08-26-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me, I buy dvd's sometimes that have "made in mexico" printed or stickered on the back of the case, and all of them have been in fine shape. It is the dvd's that I have purchased at Wal-Mart that have had fingerprints, dust and scratches on them. The main studio offender, Warner. The Matrix box set I bought at Wal-Mart was a complete mess, had to waste gas and go back and show them how awful the discs were, they were bad, like Blockbuster Rental bad. I got a new copy and all the discs were still messed up, I opened it there at the store, so they had a few more, and guess what, the next set, the discs were mint. This was a few months ago, but I have purchased The Big Bounce, Starsky And Hutch, Ocean's Twelve, Million Dollar Baby and all of them had fingerprints and scratches on them, all Warner titles, and all bought at Wal-Mart. Aside from that, this has only happened to me a few times before.
Old 08-26-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Blade Trinity came out, Best Buy had a deal where you could get it + Blade I for $20. Well, I tried that, but after opening 7! copies of Blade, I wasn't able to do that. Not only where all 7 scratched, but they all were scratched in almost the exact same spot. And each one had a smeared look to them as well. Whoever at the factory packed these wasn't being very original when they were messing them up.
Old 08-26-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find this tends to apply to multidisc digipaks in my experience but then that's probably down to the fact i buy most of my dvd's online (R1's as i'm in R2) and i quite often find that the discs come loose in transit and sustain numerous scratches/scuffs.
I tend not to have the problem when the boxsets have discs each in their own amaray cases.
I have to admit i do find the prospect of getting 'scratched' discs does put me off purchasing many tv series boxsets that i wouldn't mind owning (ie..Lost and the upcoming Nowhere Man (9 discs!!) purely because i don't want the hassle of returning individual 'scratched' discs or the whole set when the e-tailer is unable to exchange individual discs etc.
Old 08-26-05, 07:58 AM

I also encounter scratch problem with new DVDs. A few times I've encountered 'deep' gouging in the discs that I buy from Amazon.com. Somtimes those deep gouges will cause skipping in certain scenes. Other times there wouldn't be any problem. Sometimes, I get discs without any scratch, but the disc wouldn't even play.

I think if the stores are repackaging discs returned by customers, they should have a tag on the box saying that the DVD has been returned.