Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

E.T. Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E.T. Question

I realize that the 2 disc Limited Collectors Edition of 20th E.T has been OOP for about a year. However, I was able to obtain an older copy of the DVD via Ebay (although it was misrepresented , what a suprise). I cannot find any info on the disc that I received and was hoping that someone here might be able to identify what I have received.

The front cover has the words "Extraordinary! -A O Scott, NY TIMES 2002" across the top. Above the line "A Steven Spielberg Film" are some Japanese characters and "L'Extraterrestre" is written below the words "The Extra-Terrestrial". Also the DTS logo is prominent on the front cover.

On the back cover, the plot summery is written twice, once in English & once in Japanese. Also, the special features are written twice in 2 separate boxes, the left one in English and the right one, I believe, in French.

The disc itself has E.T. written in English, but everything else is written in Japanese. It is a Region 1 disc and when played, the menu says 20th Anniversary Edition . The UPC code is 0 25389 12576 2 and does not show up in DVD Profiler.

What the hell do I have?
Old 08-14-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like an import, whether legit or not.

Does that DTS logo happen to be holographic, and say DTS-9?

Also, if you just got it fairly recently, you should be able to give us a link to the auction.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 08-14-05 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:15 AM

No, the DTS logo is not holographic. Yes, it does say DTS-9 on the disc.

Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

Last edited by jgido759; 08-15-05 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to bootlegville my friend

the pics in that auction are for the legit one. i would ask for a refund, report it to ebay and leave neutral feedback after the refund...if they will not refund give them a negative.
Old 08-15-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
^ What he said.

When looking to buy something like that from an auction, check to see if other auctions are using a stock picture like that one obviously was. Don't be afraid to email the seller and ask for further info, like if what they're selling is the EXACT item pictured or if the pic is representative. If they misrepresented, as you said in the first post, they will hopefully be willing to refund your money if they think it means they will be able to keep selling to other suckers (no offense) in the future.

EDIT: Looks like your particular seller isn't even a registered user anymore, so there's probably not much eBay can do to them.
Old 08-15-05, 07:10 AM
Banned

This guy is clearly a fraud. By looking at his completed listings, it seems that he put over 200 auctions of bootleg DVDs and then he took himself out so nobody could leave a negative feedback or file any fraud complaints, since he is now "no longer a registered user". But the original poster should have seen this coming when in the item description it said:

I could find a picture for the regular one, but this is not the 20th Anniversary...this is the original one.
There is no original one. There are only 2 versions: 20th Anniversary and 20th anniversary deluxe. People should check amazon.com to confirm that the item that they are buying through ebay actually exist.

What the original poster could do is file a criminal complaint using the address that the seller gave you to send the money order or check since the seller is commiting several federal crimes. Actually, this is one of the cases where Ebay can be liable for permiting, facilitating and profiting from the selling of bootlegs. I would love to see someone who has fallen into a seller's trap on Ebay file a civil lawsuit againts Ebay for allowing this to happen and then not doing anything to help the customer.

Last edited by dx23; 08-15-05 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
As was already mentioned, the stock photo is an issue with me. I'll never buy from an auction with stock photos.
Old 08-15-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this one in the New DVDs for sale section at Hollywood Video yesterday. Aparently it's release date is next week. Its in a white keepcase and it doesn't specify if its the original or walkie-talkie version. Does anyone know?

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-15-05 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 08:25 AM
Banned

I saw this one in the New DVDs for sale section at Hollywood Video yesterday. Aparently it's release date is next week. Its in a white keepcase and it doesn't specify if its the original or walkie-talkie version. Does anyone know?
That is a new release that has as an extra the film's isolated score track and is exclusive to this disc.

As was already mentioned, the stock photo is an issue with me. I'll never buy from an auction with stock photos.
I don't think stock pictures are signs of fraudulent behavior. I used stock photos for many of my auctions since is a faster way to set up the sale and I always sell the exact same copy I promote in the picture. I know that many good standing, good ebay sellers do the same. I believe that if you want to identify a bootleg on ebay you should:

1. Check if the DVD has been release on region 1.
2. Check the seller's feedback. Check where the seller is located. Most of Malaysia and Taiwan sellers, sell bootlegs.
3. Check the item description. Chinese characters on covers, vague item description, misspelled words on cover, all region, different description that what amazon.com or dvdempire.com sells are hints of the item being a bootleg.
4. Email the seller if you want more description of the item.
5. If the seller is not being clear with his anwsers, don't bid.
6. Check if the item is out of print.
7. If a film still is on the theaters, then auctions for that film's DVD are bootlegs.
8. There is no sex in the champagne room. None.

This will help you 95% of the time on ebay. The other 5% is that there are good bootlegers on ebay and when I mean good, is that they sell DVDs that are almost identical to the real deal. This happens most of the times with Criterions, Disney movies and out of print dvds.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by dx23; 08-15-05 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 09:05 AM

Well, seeing as I am an Ebay novice myself and was well aware that this could, in fact, be a bootleg, I'll chalk this up and consider it a $12 lesson. Not really worth all of the hassle of going through the motions for such a small amount of money.
Old 08-15-05, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I'm new to DVD buying on Ebay, and I don't like the stock-photo thing; I like to see exactly what I'm buying. I haven't had the best experiences with Ebay, so I don't trust anybody.

Does anybody know if this E.T. re-release is the original or Spielberg's messed-with walkie-talkie revision?
Old 08-15-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm almost half-tempted to pick up the new release for the keepcase cover.
Old 08-15-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
I'm almost half-tempted to pick up the new release for the keepcase cover.
Well, it was $14.99 at Hollywood Video, so I'd have to imagine you'll be able to find it cheaper than that.

I just want to know which version it is.
Old 08-15-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

it is the walkie talke version only...but has a new isolated score...read this for all the info

Universal dumbs down for re-releases of E.T., Cape Fear, and Meaning of Life 08.23.05
Old 08-15-05, 12:14 PM
Banned

New isolated score is very cool...though the old laserdisc had the whole isolated score as well...in uncompressed PCM sound
Old 08-15-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread makes me want to see the South Park episode now where they spoof the whole Lucas/Spielberg re-editing thing with the walkie-talkies and such.
Old 08-15-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Count me as someone who got burned once on the "stock photo scam." Never again.
Old 08-15-05, 04:19 PM
Banned

That's why I always post pics of the dvd case as well as any inserts plus the disc in my ad. I wouldn't want anyone not knowing exactly what they're getting.
Old 08-15-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
I don't think stock pictures are signs of fraudulent behavior. I used stock photos for many of my auctions since is a faster way to set up the sale and I always sell the exact same copy I promote in the picture. I know that many good standing, good ebay sellers do the same.
I hear where you're coming from and I know a stock photo doesn't mean it's a boot as much as using a real photo means that is what you're getting.

With all else being equal it's one way to lower the possibility of fraud. With many auctions using stock photos, it's one way to separate your auction from the rest. More views = more interest = more bids = $$

Just like rennervison, I got burned once with a stock photo so I guess that's why I'm a little sensitive about it grrr
Old 08-15-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I also got ET recently, but it was from Universal Canada. It had some french writing on the front and two summaries of the back. This is a legit release right?
Old 08-15-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Willh51
I also got ET recently, but it was from Universal Canada. It had some french writing on the front and two summaries of the back. This is a legit release right?
Yes
Old 08-15-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Phew..thank goodness. I was pretty sure it was but these days you never can tell.
Old 08-31-05, 08:58 AM
Banned

So did anyone pick this up? What's with the isolated score?
Old 09-06-05, 10:45 AM
Banned

Anyone?
Old 09-06-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...um not sure what you want to know. I have the old version, but I would assume the isolated score just means you don't hear sound effects or dialogue, just music.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.