Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 07-01-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 399 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

The Evil of the Daleks is the next to be animated

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...on-newsupdate/

Old 08-06-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Web of Fear gets a redo, with the missing episode animated this time (I believe the last one was the photo reconstruction)

From TVShowsonDVD
DATE NOT YET ANNOUNCED:
* Doctor Who - Story #041: Web Of Fear: Special Edition (BBC)
$24.98 SRP DVD
https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Web-of-Fear/dp/B0972DMPBR
EXTRAS: To Be Announced
-----In order to escape an attack in space, the TARDIS makes an unscheduled landing and ends up deep inside the London Underground. Here the travelers soon find themselves engulfed in a terrifying battle against the Great Intelligence and the Yeti, a deadly enemy set to invade the Earth. As events progress and the menace spreads, it becomes clear that the Intelligence's goal is not just possession of Earth, but the Doctor's mind too! This release includes all surviving episodes, plus a brand new fully animated reconstruction of the missing third episode created from the surviving audio-only recordings. 2-disc set.
Old 08-06-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

That's interesting. If they're going through the trouble of animating it, I guess we can assume there's little chance that whoever is holding onto it will allow it to see the light of day.

Philip Morris found all of the missing episodes from "Web of Fear," a few years ago, but someone stole the third episode (first appearance of The Brigadier) before it was returned to the BBC.

Old 08-06-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
That's interesting. If they're going through the trouble of animating it, I guess we can assume there's little chance that whoever is holding onto it will allow it to see the light of day.

Philip Morris found all of the missing episodes from "Web of Fear," a few years ago, but someone stole the third episode (first appearance of The Brigadier) before it was returned to the BBC.
I was thinking about that. Maybe the BBC is trying to tell these collectors that they're not going to bother negotiating with them anymore. Sucks that some people have to hoard something special like that, but at least we have the audio to make animations.

Old 08-06-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Some previews of the animation have been released. First a re-creation of the original teaser:

Then a scene from the episode:

It looks like they've moved to 3D models for animation.
Old 08-06-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with the 3D models; they seem a little too automaton-like, and don't move naturally.

Looks like they're really trying to get the Troughton seasons animated. This just leaves "The Highlanders," "The Underwater Menace," "The Abominable Snowmen," "The Wheel in Space," and "The Space Pirates." Pretty good record considering how many of the Troughton episodes are lost.

After that, the first and second Hartnell seasons are nearly complete (missing only all seven eps of "Marco Polo," and two of "The Crusade.") Since those are historicals, I wouldn't mind if they just left them as tele-snap recons -- especially "Marco Polo," since most of that story's appeal lies with the sets and costumes, which would be lost in an animated recon, especially if they can prioritize something like "The Daleks' Masterplan."

That only leaves the third Hartnell season, which is a real mess as far as missing episodes go.

Old 09-03-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Evil of the Daleks has a release date on Amazon, Nov 16, 2021
Shows 3 discs so probably both color and B&W versions.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-08-21)
Old 09-03-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

^ I have the Steelbook on pre-order at Amazon UK. I think their release is the end of September.
Old 09-04-21, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm guessing that they'll show "Evil of the Daleks" on BBC America like have the previous animated recons?

Not in any hurry to buy these on DVD; I'll just wait for the complete blu-ray seasons that are, presumably, happening down the road.
John Pannozzi (09-08-21)
Old 09-15-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back to Hartnell, Galaxy 4 to be animated

https://gizmodo.com/doctor-whos-leas...-in-1847680645
Old 09-17-21, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like they're really making some inroads on this...

Updated with new graphic from here:

Fourteen stories have been reconstructed, and twelve remain incomplete. ("The Abominable Snowmen" hasn't been announced, but it's being worked on.)

For Troughton, the only incomplete stories left are "The Highlanders," two episodes of "The Underwater Menace," "The Wheel in Space," and "The Space Pirates."

Going through that last, I would be fine if they left the historicals as telesnap reconstructions on the eventual complete season blu-rays: "Marco Polo," "The Crusade," "The Smugglers," and "The Highlanders." Hell, I'd even throw in "The Savages," too, if it means we could "The Dalek's Masterplan" done.

If we throw out the historicals with telesnaps available, that leaves "The Myth Makers," "The Dalek's Masterplan," "The Massacre," and "The Celestial Toymaker," as the only Hartnell era stories left. And if we toss out "The Highlanders," that's only one Troughton story per season that needs to be animated, and "The Underwater Menace," only needs two episodes done.

Hartnell years one and two would be complete, and each Troughton season would be only one story away from completion, and Hartnell's third season would only need four stories done.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-19-21 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Updated with a better graphic from twitter.
BackStJoe (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling they’ll animate everything so they can have both complete season sets on Blu and also have complete seasons to sell in syndication packages.
Old 09-18-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to this here Reddit, "Marco Polo," "The Crusade," "The Dalek's Masterplan," and "The Highlanders" are the least likely to be animated. That reddit also explains why some episodes are more difficult to animate than others because of things like frequent costume changes, too many sets, and... tartan.

If they are unable to animate everything, I would gladly sacrifice the telesnapped historicals for "The Dalek's Masterplan." And I'd also be cool if they left out episode seven of that story, "The Feast of Steven," or did a live-action recreation of it like they did with "Mission to the Unknown," since it's a Christmans Special and isn't necessary to the greater story. Though a quick google seems to indicate that telesnaps exist for "Feast of Steven," though that's the only episode of "The Dalek's Masterplan" that has them, so I'd also be fine with them leaving it as telesnaps.

I also find the historicals to be dull as dirt, too...
Old 09-18-21, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And, for the record, I'd like to punch whoever stole episode three of "The Web of Fear" in the dick.

milo bloom (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

That's a tad misleading, as the first episode of "The Wheel in Space" was only partially animated, though it is does look very good. Wouldn't mind if they had the people who did that proof of concept finish the story out.

Old 09-24-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Russell T. Davies is coming back as a showrunner in 2023, in time for Who's 60th anniversary.
Old 09-24-21, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I really wish Jodie had worked out better. I loved her concept but she just had poor scripts.