Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Problem w/Indiana Jones

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem w/Indiana Jones

Tonight I got around to watching Temple of Doom in the Indiana Jones set I bought nearly two months ago at Best Buy with their $10 off coupon.

At around 1:35 into the movie, at the start of the mine car chase, there are several times the image gets pixelated. It also stops completely for a moment - the screen will go blank, and then it will start a second or two later. It was fine up until this point, and the rest plays fine after this.

I went back to that point after the movie ended, and it happened again.

There's no physical damage on the disc that I can see, and I don't have any problems with other DVDs. My player is a Panasonic S35 that's a couple years old. This is the worst problem I've ever seen with a DVD.

Were there any widespread defects known with Indiana Jones?

Here's hoping Best Buy will still do an exchange. I hope they realize not everyone watches three movies in one sitting.
Old 08-10-05, 12:22 AM
Banned

You might try cleaning the disc with alcohol. Although you might not see any kind of surface defects, smudges, scratches, etc. the disc may have a slight film on it that your player is hanging on in that spot.

I had to do this just yesterday with the 2nd disc of the 2-disc Alexander set. I started noticing immediately that the disc was having a hard time. It would kind of stutter as it tried to play. A quick once over with alcohol solved the problem. Oh, the disc looked pristine.
Old 08-10-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree 100% with Mike. Also, this is often an early indicator of players losing it.
Old 08-10-05, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Here's hoping Best Buy will still do an exchange. I hope they realize not everyone watches three movies in one sitting.
Hope you have better luck than I had. I had the same issue with the Star Wars box set, and Best Buy wouldn't budge on their 30-day exchange policy, even after showing my receipt (with 4 large box sets totaling well over $100 in a single purchase at their store: LoTR, Star Wars, Simpsons, etc.) to the manager. There is no way anyone could have watched all of that within 30-days and still maintain a full-time job, but Best Buy stuck by their guns.

Hence my ongoing Best Buy boycott:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421902

Let us know how things go. If they revise their policy to allow reasonable human decision-making by managers, I may consider returning to their store. In the meantime, Tower Records, Borders, etc. always have what I want with much better customer service policies. And Tweeter, Circuit City, etc. satisfy my electronics needs.
Old 08-10-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Tonight I got around to watching Temple of Doom in the Indiana Jones set I bought nearly two months ago
That is the only one I haven't watched since I bought it either. I picked it up on release day.
Old 08-11-05, 12:05 AM

Location: In The Ninth Circle of Hell Where All Dvds Are Fullscreen
You might try drinking the alcohol instead of cleaning the disk then you won't notice any problems at all
Alcohol the answer to all life's problems
Old 08-11-05, 12:55 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problems with my set, btw what player are you using? have you tried another player?
Old 08-11-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zakiwon
You might try drinking the alcohol instead of cleaning the disk then you won't notice any problems at all
Alcohol the answer to all life's problems
Most dead people don't.
Old 08-11-05, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
Agree 100% with Mike. Also, this is often an early indicator of players losing it.
Is it? Well, I would't be totally surprised, as my player is coming up on 4 years old now and I'm been having a mechanical problem with the disc drawer tray for quite some time now. Won't stay open when hitting eject.

I was seriously considering getting a new player soon, but with the birth of HD coming within the next year or so, I'm torn on whether to stick it out with this one.

Also, my sister has the same player as mine and her laser head has already bit the dust.
Old 08-11-05, 01:11 PM

I took it back to Best Buy. The woman at the exchange counter did note that it was past their 30 day policy, but she let me exchange it with no hassle whatsoever.

Only problem was there were only two other widescreen sets in stock, and the Temple of Doom discs in both had surface marks. I took the one with the fewest - one instead of several - and will give it a try.

Hopefully the laser won't see what I do.

I kept the Raiders disc from my first set because I know it was OK.
Old 08-11-05, 02:04 PM
Cool New Member

I have a problem similar to this. My Jackie Brown: Collector's Edition freezes up just as Jackie and Ordell are talking in the bar about the job, and then it either shuts off or skips ahead two or three scenes. Do you guys think cleaning the disc with alcohol with help this? The 90 day warranty is expired, so I'm pretty much stuck with this disc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my Jackie Brown:CE was missing the booklet, so i called up Disney and they sent a replacement. you can try giving their CS a call: 1-800-723-4763.
Old 08-11-05, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

All right thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-11-05, 09:40 PM

I checked Temple of Doom in several spots, particularly the one that had given me trouble on the last set. No problems.

I also just watched all of Last Crusade. Again, no problems. And this was the first time I'd seen that movie! Now I finally understand why it's so highly regarded.

And since Raiders is from my first set, and I already watched it, I know my set is good. Yippee!
Old 08-11-05, 10:48 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I will hear nothing of "problems" with Indiana Jones. Perhaps it is Indiana Jones that has a problem with you.