Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

UMDs getting Exclusive Extras (OLDBOY)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, why carry around two portable devices instead of one? The PSP has been very effectively marketed as an iPod-like novelty device. It serves as an all-in-one solution. Rather than carry around both a PSP (for games) and a portable DVD player, you can bring your PSP anywhere.

I don't think anybody is buying UMD's because they anticipate building a collection of movies "on the go." It's something more akin to "Wow, they have ___________ for the PSP! Cool!" $$cha-ching$$

It's the same reason why those Gameboy videos are doing so well. The intent is not to replace other media types, but rather provide something else to do on your portable gaming device.
Old 08-03-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, they won't get one red cent from me.
Old 08-03-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
That's what confuses me. I don't care about portability one way or the other -- if I want to watch a movie on the road, I always have a laptop with me.

But I don't understand why people would pay additional (quite a bit additional, relatively) for a movie on a format that can only be watched on a PSP. Why not just get a cheap portable player and enjoy your entire existing collection that can also be played on a TV, PC, etc. I would have thought that UMD was a product without and audience, but I'm apparently very wrong.
Well there are a lot of parents with a lot of discretionary income that have run out of things to buy their kids/teens. There are a lot of teens out there who are working, and have run out of things to buy for themselves.

Oh, and never underestimate the power of peer pressure. Take a few kids from the above groups, mix in some self-centered oneupsmanship and you've got the ball rolling.
Old 08-03-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Does anybody know if they publish UMDs sales report like they do for DVDs?
I'm curious to know the amount of UMDs that are being sold.
Old 08-03-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only numbers that have been thrown around are somewhat out of date. Resident Evil: Apocalypse, House of Flying Daggers, Hitch, XXX, and Hellboy have moved over 100,000 units each, as of the end of July. RE and HOFD hit that number by the beginning of July. (c/o Wired Magazine and Slashdot)
Old 08-03-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Well, why carry around two portable devices instead of one?
Personally, even if I had a PSP, I'd rather shell out $100 or less for a portable DVD player than continue to shell out for UMD movies that are locked into one machine. For the cost of 4 UMD movies or so, I can have access to my entire DVD collection.

But, I think everyone is right... this is being fueled by young kids, peer pressure, "gotta have it" mentality, etc. I'm just shocked that it has sold so well.
Old 08-03-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, apparently there are barely any games for the PSP at the moment. So, I guess people wanna do SOMETHING with their new toy. But yeah, I don't get it. Just seems like a waste of money. It's unfortunate to see UMD starting to get exclusives.
Old 08-03-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had a PSP, and IF the UMDs were cheaper (much cheaper), then I'd buy a couple of the moves also.

There isn't a chance in hell that I'd ever pay $15-$25 for one of them though.
Old 08-03-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buying UMDs is the same as buying DVDs. It's the same compulsive disorder. Why are people complaining about UMDs when you are wasting your savings on every single DVD that gets released. There is no difference whether you are building up collections or libraries. It's still the same compulsive bad habit of consuming...And it's adults who are, if not more, but equally spending tons of money on Video games, DVDs, and UMDs, not just the kids...
Old 08-03-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Buying UMDs is the same as buying DVDs. It's the same compulsive disorder. Why are people complaining about UMDs when you are wasting your savings on every single DVD that gets released. There is no difference whether you are building up collections or libraries. It's still the same compulsive bad habit of consuming...And it's adults who are, if not more, but equally spending tons of money on Video games, DVDs, and UMDs, not just the kids...
At least DVDs are better, can run on many machines, more rippable, and more future proof.

UMDs are locked into a PSP and are inferior to DVDs.
Old 08-03-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The issue I have is studios creating "UMD only" extras that will not be carry over to DVDs.
Old 08-03-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is why DVD/movie companies are milking the DVD consumer. There will never be one DVD version of a movie anymore - Special Edition, Ultimate Edition, Deluxe Edition, UMD version, new fancy DVD covers, and on and on with their little marketing strategies - because they know that the DVD consumer will feel gyped and unsatisfied knowing that there is another new DVD version with another added extra or better video/audio quality and they will eventually buy the newer one. DVD/movie companies are geniuses because they are 100% aware of the psychology of consuming. These companies only care about making money, so why would all DVD versions share the same extras or video/audio quality and why would they release a "final DVD version of a movie" when they can keep a movie alive by releasing many DVD versions? Each movie made is a business in itself. Why end the business when one can still make money off of it?

I have no idea why people are still complaining about the DVD/movie industry. Now that most people are aware of the negative aspects of movie companies, there is no mystery anymore of why they release tons of versions/formats of one film with different quality/extras.

If you worked for the DVD/movie/PSP industry and your mission was to sell a product and make money, why would you not sell "UMD-only" extras?

It's the sucker consumer that is buying up all these versions of DVDs. It's the consumer that is responsible for companies releasing endless dvd versions...
Old 08-03-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
It's the sucker consumer that is buying up all these versions of DVDs. It's the consumer that is responsible for companies releasing endless dvd versions...
On THAT I agree.
Old 08-03-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is why DVD/movie companies are milking the DVD consumer. There will never be one DVD version of a movie anymore - Special Edition, Ultimate Edition, Deluxe Edition, UMD version, new fancy DVD covers, and on and on with their little marketing strategies - because they know that the DVD consumer will feel gyped and unsatisfied knowing that there is another new DVD version with another added extra or better video/audio quality and they will eventually buy the newer one. DVD/movie companies are geniuses because they are 100% aware of the psychology of consuming. These companies only care about making money, so why would all DVD versions share the same extras or video/audio quality and why would they release a "final DVD version of a movie" when they can keep a movie alive by releasing many DVD versions? Each movie made is a business in itself. Why end the business when one can still make money off of it?

I have no idea why people are still complaining about the DVD/movie industry. Now that most people are aware of the negative aspects of movie companies, there is no mystery anymore of why they release tons of versions/formats of one film with different quality/extras.

If you worked for the DVD/movie/PSP industry and your mission was to sell a product and make money, why would you not sell "UMD-only" extras?

At first I thought the multiple releases were to make up for some non-anamorphic catalog titles that were released early on (1997-2000). Then I saw the re-re-re-releases of films because they were adding some crap that was supposed to make the consumer buy the film AGAIN (Meet the Parents comes to mind) and it seems to work because we're getting all of these stupid re-releases that people are sucking up. OF COURSE UMD is going to be a big thing for awhile -- it will eventually go the way of Divx, but for now, junk up the shelves with the things for all I care -- I'm not buying!
Old 08-03-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caiman
Who the hell wants to watch Oldboy on a 3 inch screen anyway?

Maybe 8-year-olds in the backseat of their parents' SUVs are really into Asian shock cinema?
i was wondering that myself.
Old 08-03-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Personally, even if I had a PSP, I'd rather shell out $100 or less for a portable DVD player than continue to shell out for UMD movies that are locked into one machine. For the cost of 4 UMD movies or so, I can have access to my entire DVD collection.
better yet, shell out for a 1GB memory stick duo and put a couple of your own dvds on the psp (loads of free tools abound to do this).
Old 08-03-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
But, they could have the "supposed" exclusive extras as very well hidden easter eggs on the actual dvd. No mention on the package, and Joe Consumer is none the wiser.
Old 08-03-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
better yet, shell out for a 1GB memory stick duo and put a couple of your own dvds on the psp (loads of free tools abound to do this).
No personal offense to you kms, this is more of a general rant, but that has to be the stupidest thing I've heard(I've heard it before). Waste time downconverting a quality dvd so it can be viewed on a 4" screen? Spend that $100+ that the memory stick would have cost, and that $100 worth of UMD movies and get a nice portable with a 7" - 10" screen, then you have access to thousands of movies without ever messing with converting and transferring at a lower quality. Nor do you need to be a foot from the screen to see what is going on. A lot will allow you to view .jpg's and other formats as well, same as the PSP. So it just doesn't add up to me.

Maybe that is just me.
Old 08-03-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spend that $100+ that the memory stick would have cost
You need a decent-sized Memory Stick to get any real use out of the PSP (the sticks are used for storing saved games and music as well as video), so if you own a PSP this is unavoidable anyway. The 64 MB stick included with the system is pretty much useless for anything except saved games and maybe some homebrew software (i.e. emulators and ROMs), so if you don't have a sizable Memory Stick you're missing out on a good deal of the system's functionality.

and that $100 worth of UMD movies
If you're willing to rip and convert the movies yourself, why would you spend any money on UMD movies?

Don't get me wrong, the convenience of a portable DVD player is nice and it's a much better way to watch movies on the go than the PSP. But if someone has already dropped $300-400 on a PSP and accessories and they don't want to drop another $100-200 on a portable DVD player, why is it "idiotic" if they want to watch movies on their PSP?

Last edited by Dan Average; 08-03-05 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No personal offense to you kms, this is more of a general rant, but that has to be the stupidest thing I've heard(I've heard it before). Waste time downconverting a quality dvd so it can be viewed on a 4" screen? Spend that $100+ that the memory stick would have cost, and that $100 worth of UMD movies and get a nice portable with a 7" - 10" screen, then you have access to thousands of movies without ever messing with converting and transferring at a lower quality. Nor do you need to be a foot from the screen to see what is going on. A lot will allow you to view .jpg's and other formats as well, same as the PSP. So it just doesn't add up to me.

Maybe that is just me.
none taken. i understand where your coming from. but, as dan average points out, you basically cannot own a psp without upgrading the memory stick. in addition to dvds, i can put tivo'd shows on there.

however, in overall geek factor, you have to admit ripping your own dvds to the psp is pretty cool.
Old 08-04-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Sales of UMD movies have definitely exceeded original expectations, and no one is likely more surprised than the studios themselves (and this is why other studios are now jumping on the UMD bandwagon). But I really can't see any substantial longetivity for the format for all the reasons already mentioned.
Old 08-04-05, 01:33 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Here's my take.

For those who think UMD is waste, I think the opposite. I don't really think it is worth buying a 1GB memory stick. Let's see, how many full length movies can you fit on it? A couple? Plus you have to spend time to rip the DVD and convert it to a MP4. Now, if I'm without a computer... how many movies do I have? How many 1GB MS do I have to buy to have a bunch of movies on hand? It's just not worth it to me.

Comparing PSP to portable DVD player...

PSP + UMD Videos, much smaller and easier to transport than my portable DVD player + DVDs. And my PSP gets much better battery life. Granted my portable DVD player is a cheap 100$ POS, I've been using the PSP + UMD videos in its place and it has been great.

But than again... if I own an audio CD, I'm not going to pay for MP3s so I can listen to the songs on my MP3 player.
Old 08-04-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I've got to agree here 100%! UMD is annoying.
I concur. I hope this format dies a sudden, misreable death. Fuck UMD!
Old 08-04-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
I concur. I hope this format dies a sudden, misreable death. Fuck UMD!
There's a good chance of that... it is a Sony proprietary format afterall.

They couldn't find WMD in Iraq, and they won't find a UMD in my home.
Old 08-04-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

UMD will only die when the PSP dies, and I don't see that happening any time soon. I don't approve the prices of UMD's, but I can see why studios are doing it. Consumers like them....I would like to see WHO is actually buying them, I would have to say the 15-18 year olds mainly.

As for converting DVD's....that is what I do. Yes, it's time consuming, but I'll just convert a bunch, dump them on a blank DVD, then have them for use whever I want. I have a 1GB msduo...since you need one for games/music/emulators/pictures/other

So, just being able to put ANY movie I want on my PSP is nice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.