Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Amazon's new "Dream DVD" poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon's new "Dream DVD" poll

Spotted this when at Amazon.com this morning: a poll for voting for films/tv shows that you would love to see on DVD, but haven't made it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/546274/

"Do you have a list of favorite flicks or television shows that still haven't been released on DVD? We know how frustrating that can be, so we've added hundreds of currently unavailable titles to our DVD catalog. When you search for these titles, you'll see a page that allows you to sign up for a free notification service. Entering your e-mail address ensures that you'll receive an e-mail the moment the title is available for purchase. This system also helps us keep track of what customers are clamoring for, so we can encourage the studios to get those much-loved movies and shows on DVD. Take a look at the current list of most popular requests below, and be sure to sign up for all the ones you're itchin' to own."
Old 07-28-05, 06:29 AM

Cool. Thanks. I'll check this out.
Old 07-28-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbma
"Do you have a list of favorite flicks or television shows that still haven't been released on DVD? We know how frustrating that can be, so we've added hundreds of currently unavailable titles to our DVD catalog. When you search for these titles, you'll see a page ....."
Great ... so now we can be even more frustrated when we search for a title, a page starts to load, and we suddenly realize that Amazon is simply compiling lists for some future email blitz.
Old 07-28-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Great ... so now we can be even more frustrated when we search for a title, a page starts to load, and we suddenly realize that Amazon is simply compiling lists for some future email blitz.
Exactly what I was thinking. What a waste.
Old 07-28-05, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
I disagree. While I could never be confused with someone who advocates for corporations, I do like to give credit where due. Amazon.com has historically sent only a single mailing when a DVD first becomes available that I've asked to be notified about; and that's all. I never get extraneous e-mail from Amazon.com. And often it is the only way I learn that something I'm interested in is being released. For one example of several, I asked to be notified when Bob Hope's "Princess and the Pirate" was to be released this past Spring, and Amazon.com did so in a timely fashion. That title never showed up (even up to the actual release date) on the "Upcoming Releases" lists on DVD Talk. Therefore, I would have never known about it otherwise.

Also, having an entity advocate the production and release of desired DVDs seems like a positive effort to me. "Postman Always Rings Twice" made it to DVD when it did only because it topped a poll run by TCM.
Old 07-28-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is Star Wars ep 3 on there? Have they said they are not going to release it on DVD or something?
Old 07-28-05, 03:04 PM
Banned

wonder how you add a title...
Old 07-28-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what I picked:

Twin Peaks - The Second Season
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Rocket Man
Star Trek - The Animated Series
Robin Hood - Men in Tights
The Wonder Years
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
Delicatessen
Lost Highway
Battle Royale
Old 07-28-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

4 of my all time wants are on this list

Twin Peaks - Season 2
Beverly Hills 90210
Melrose Place
thirtysomething

Now if we could only get "Grosse Point" & "The Net"(the tv show) on the list...
Old 07-28-05, 04:32 PM

i doubt its really going to make much difference, but i ticked about 10 boxes.
Old 07-28-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbma
I disagree. While I could never be confused with someone who advocates for corporations, I do like to give credit where due. Amazon.com has historically sent only a single mailing when a DVD first becomes available that I've asked to be notified about; and that's all. I never get extraneous e-mail from Amazon.com. And often it is the only way I learn that something I'm interested in is being released. For one example of several, I asked to be notified when Bob Hope's "Princess and the Pirate" was to be released this past Spring, and Amazon.com did so in a timely fashion. That title never showed up (even up to the actual release date) on the "Upcoming Releases" lists on DVD Talk. Therefore, I would have never known about it otherwise.
Yeah, I remember back when I submitted a request for the 1982 Sweeney Todd, and at the beginning of last year I was pleasantly surprised to get an email announcing that it was coming to DVD. I don't know when I read about it here, but that was how I heard about it first.

Isn't Men in Tights supposed to be released later this year (November?) with some other Mel Brooks films?
Old 07-28-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much impact does amazon.com have on getting studios to release DVDs? I mean, is somebody honestly sitting over at FOX seeing that Wonder Years is high up on the list and is trying to figure out a way to put that out with all the music intact and at a price that won't scare people off?

So is this really a poll? Will it influence anything at all? I'd be more interested in an actual POLL that we could see the results.

I still "voted"...

Twin Peaks - The Second Season
Song of the South
Animaniacs
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Family Ties
The Wonder Years
Beauty and the Beast (TV Series)
Howard the Duck
Until the End of the World
St. Elsewhere

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-28-05 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering the exclusive deals BB has been working out recently and the recent earnings news from Amazon I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that Amazon may be able to influence/help work out some sort of deal.
Old 07-28-05, 09:40 PM

Not to seem mean but who the hell is waiting for Yentle on dvd?
Old 07-28-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Not to seem mean but who the hell is waiting for Yentle on dvd?
Gay men
Old 07-28-05, 09:57 PM
Banned

They had this "poll" for several years now. This is more or less a marketing research between Amazon.com and film companies. Is just a simple research on which DVDs people want to get released. The list is based on the request that Amazon.com visitors have made in their Available to Order notification list, in the Your Account menu. The funny thing is that they have taken off the list Star Wars: The Original Trilogy. This was on the list even after the recent Star Wars boxset was released.
Old 07-28-05, 10:43 PM

I checked a bunch of boxes!!
Surprised to see Chiefs on the list. This would be a good one to come out in region one! I will definately get this!!

Take care all!!
Old 07-28-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad to see reds on the list

faster pussycat and eraserhead are on the list, and amazon could get distribution if they wanted it...so thats weird to me.

movies not on the list i want some answers on (aka Cameron Schills his plee in form of these threads)

Carbine Williams on DVD when? Jimmy Stewart 1952

Executive Suite 1954? Warner Brothers Desicion still not out.

You know we could just make our own poll with 10 titles and see who wins...need to make some rules though...like they have to be out of the same studio, or era, and limit the poll to one a month and let it run for that long....someone work on that