Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My full screen dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My full screen dilemma

I accidently bought a full screen copy of the last samurai from Target. I didn't notice until I opened the case and I lost the receipt. Is there anyway I can exchange it for the proper version?

-nick
Old 07-27-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you think you could call their customer service and ask? I wouldn't be surprised if you were out of luck though.

Sell it at half.com or something and chalk the loss up to a lesson learned about making sure your getting what you want before you pay for it and saving the receipt until you know it isn't defective.
Old 07-27-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always try. They probably won't take it though.
Old 07-27-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
*cough*Borders*cough*
Old 07-27-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
They probably won't do it,but you can always just try telling them it is defective and grab the widescreen when you exchange it and hope they don't notice the slight difference in the case.
Old 07-27-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
They probably won't do it,but you can always just try telling them it is defective and grab the widescreen when you exchange it and hope they don't notice the slight difference in the case.
They'll have difference UPCs.
Old 07-27-05, 12:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow that sucks dude, maybe you can trade it in or take the loss.
Old 07-27-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

they might, since your exchanging it for the same title
Old 07-27-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
They'll have difference UPCs.

Good call,i forgot about that.
Old 07-27-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but you can always just try telling them it is defective and grab the widescreen when you exchange it and hope they don't notice the slight difference in the case.
Not to turn this into a thread about morals, but you're asking someone else to eat the cost of the OP's mistake. I don't really think that's the best direction to take this...

Either sell it (eBay, half, Amazon) or trade it (spun, secondspin, local store) and then get the version you meant to buy. Consider it a lesson learned -- look before you buy.
Old 07-27-05, 01:42 PM

As long as you have the receipt, you should be able to exchange it- it is full-frame, and therefore defective. Just tell them you made an honest mistake and you'd like to swap it out for the unedited version.

As long as you're polite and honest, they should be willing to accommodate. If they refuse, you know not to shop there anymore and to tell all of your friends and family and anyone you run into not to shop there.

My 2 cents
Jimmy
Old 07-27-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbnugent
As long as you have the receipt, you should be able to exchange it- it is full-frame, and therefore defective. Just tell them you made an honest mistake and you'd like to swap it out for the unedited version.
But he DOESN'T have the receipt.

Originally Posted by jbnugent
As long as you're polite and honest, they should be willing to accommodate. If they refuse, you know not to shop there anymore and to tell all of your friends and family and anyone you run into not to shop there.
That is SO weak. I mean so the STORE should eat the cost of the DVD because he was an idiot on two counts? They can't resell it once it is open. And telling everyone that'll listen not to shop there because you YOURSELF picked up the wrong thing, paid for it and lost the receipt just stinks like sour grapes.
Old 07-27-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Most people here got it right. Sell it, be glad you got something of value in exchange for your fullscreen DVD, and check any future DVDs you might buy before you rip the case open and lose the receipt. I've done this too (long time ago...) but I learned my lesson. Pain never goes away, though.
Old 07-27-05, 02:49 PM

But he DOESN'T have the receipt.
I read too fast. Either way, my post still stands.

That is SO weak. I mean so the STORE should eat the cost of the DVD because he was an idiot on two counts? They can't resell it once it is open. And telling everyone that'll listen not to shop there because you YOURSELF picked up the wrong thing, paid for it and lost the receipt just stinks like sour grapes.
NOTHING weak about it. A chain as big as target isn't "eating" anything. Nor would a smaller business because in the end a satisfied customer means repeat business. It is in the company's best interest to appease the customer. Businesses that honor the age old adage "the customer is always right" will reap the benefits.

Additionally, accidentally grabbing the wrong item AND losing the receipt does not automatically make one an idiot, as you profess. Mistakes happen all the time, except to you apparently.

Are you also suggesting that good manners and honesty are weak traits? That IS weak...

Jimmy
Old 07-27-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"It's just a write-off for them."
"How is it a write-off?"
"They just write it off."
"Write it off what?"
"Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything."
"You don't even know what a write-off is."
"Do you?"
"No. I don't."
"But they do and they are the ones writing it off."
"I wish I had the last twenty seconds of my life back."
Old 07-27-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Not to turn this into a thread about morals, but you're asking someone else to eat the cost of the OP's mistake. I don't really think that's the best direction to take this...

Either sell it (eBay, half, Amazon) or trade it (spun, secondspin, local store) and then get the version you meant to buy. Consider it a lesson learned -- look before you buy.
I figured someone would chime in about morals,but it would be no different if they knowingly let him exchange it(which is possible).Either way they aren't going to resell that fullscreen copy.
Old 07-27-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no but they get a credit for a defective copy and it is replaced by warner...
Old 07-27-05, 03:34 PM

Just try the truth. Walk in, tell them you didn't realize you bought the wrong format until after you opened it, and you'd like to exchange it for the widescreen version. And then add that you lost the receipt somehow. They may still exchange it, since you're doing an exchange for the same title.

You're less likely to come off as deceptive if you're not being, well, deceptive.

This is even more likely to turn out OK if the widescreen/fullscreen label are not as clear or prominent as they should be. But I have no idea what this case looks like.
Old 07-27-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-27-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny how many people still have this laughable little-guy-versus-big-bad-company mentality. I guess it's entrenched in the American psyche.

In my mind the better view is that if you want companies to live up to their mistakes, then realize that it's a two-way street and live up to yours.
Old 07-27-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figured someone would chime in about morals,but it would be no different if they knowingly let him exchange it(which is possible).Either way they aren't going to resell that fullscreen copy.
It is different -- in one scenario they are knowingly allowing him to exchange an accidental fullscreen for a widescreen (presumably, as a good-faith, customer service act). In the other scenario, he's lying, saying that perfectly fine merchandise is defective, and then trying to exchange it for a different item without them knowing.

You're right. Either way they aren't going to resell the merchandise. But in the first scenario, at least the retailer is making that decision and not being tricked into it.

Originally Posted by Cameron
no but they get a credit for a defective copy and it is replaced by warner...
OK, so then Warner takes the hit. In any scenario here, a company is taking a loss on 'defective' merchandise that is in no way defective.

I know there are going to be the stereotypical people out there saying "blahblah multi-billion-$$$ companies, they're never going to notice, they can afford it/I can't blahblah" but that doesn't change the reality that some people are suggesting that he lie and make someone else pay for his mistake. That's all I'm pointing out.
Old 07-27-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah,at the end of the day it's only ~$15,just rebuy it.That particular movie is well worth it anyways.
Old 07-27-05, 05:41 PM

Target is notorious for having the worse customer service/return policies. I don't think they will take any returns without a receipt. You should have bought it at Walmart, they'll take back anything.
Old 07-27-05, 05:52 PM

I say bring in it and exchange it for the WS copy. That is what kept happening whith people who bought WS instead of fs by mistake. It sent the message that there was a demand fo fs product.

Technally it is defective
Old 07-27-05, 06:03 PM

Take it in, try to get what you want. I love that people are trying to treat getting what you want for your money as a crime. Ya'll need to dial down the righteous indignation a notch or two. Target's not going to go out of business for helping a customer correct a mistake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.