ways to deal with theft

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ways to deal with theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a cheap mini video camera that can be hooked up to a computer or a vcr. Catch them in the act. Then call the police!

wireless mini camera:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...search=&child=

usb mini camera:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...search=&child=

Good luck!
Old 10-23-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw off his arms.
Old 10-23-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

second chance...mini cameras....no no no

just right fist to face, left fist to gut...repeat until bleeding....then kiss his mother on the mouth and make him call you daddy
Old 10-23-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You must kick him out of the house immediately and permanently:

1. Why should YOU go through all the trouble of locking up /marking all your DVDs... HE IS THE THIEF!

2. He has shown his true character. Even if you spend all the money/time/effort to secure your DVDs, the P.O.S. will steal something else.

3. Scumbags and losers have friends who are similar. Every time he invites someone over to your house your belongings are in danger... and maybe the safety of you and your girlfriend.

4. He may have already told several of his loser friends about your extensive DVD collection. This can be a dangerous situation.

To summarize:

Q. I live with someone who is a thief and is stealing from me. What is the best way to protect my belongings?

A. Kick his sorry ass out of the house!
Old 10-23-05, 05:08 PM

HAH that kid owns
Old 10-24-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you put a slit through the UPC code, about 99% of stores won't buy them from customers...

I have a similar problem living in a dorm, so to cut down on the theft (and self space) I just bought a trunk with a padlock and a bunch of binders, and put the discs in the binders and the binders in the trunck... its effective but I take a minute or two to get out a DVD.
Old 10-24-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Sweet christ, how about the simple, logical and rational solution?

You know what DVD's were stolen. You know where he's taking them to sell. Law states that the store has to have a transaction receipt. As someone else mentioned, report the theft to the police. Then tell the police you know where he sold them, go to the store and request transaction details (please note that you have to have filed a police report, the store won't release the details to you). Get your property back (if it's still there) and send the brother off to jail. Even one night in a cell could be enough to scare him.
Agreed. This covers all bases. You get your property back, you don't have to worry about blaming the wrong person (in the event that it isn't him, the police won't come knocking on his door...they'll go to whoever is guilty), you'll likely scare them enough to keep this from happening again, and so on and so forth. Plus, if you're worried about being ostracised by the family for getting the fella arrested, you can claim that you took the issue up with the police, and weren't even aware that he was the one who'd stolen and sold the discs.

As the quoted poster put it, this act is simple, logical, and rational. A no-brainer, in my opinion.

-JP
Old 10-24-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some you guys are over-reacting - all he needs to do is lay some mines down.
Old 10-24-05, 11:53 AM

THe UPC code is a good idea, but instead of a slit, just cut the whole thing out. This disfigures the case a little, but is a HELL of a lot better than writing on the disc itself.

The forum forgot to ask the important question: Is he bigger than you? If not, then a smackdown is due. If he is, then hit him when he's not looking.
Old 10-24-05, 01:22 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any updates on this one? is he still stealing?
Old 10-24-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, details, please! Did you dish out some two-fisted justice? Was it time to take out the trash, and this time it's personal?!

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 10-24-05 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't beat up someone that lives with you otherwise you get charged with domestic abuse. That's a pain in the butt to get out of, and alot of employeers don't look to fondly on that.

Just go to the police tell them what is happening and go to Gamestop and let them know that it's stolen merchandise. Once they know it's stolen they can't legally take it or they are in alot of trouble as well.
Old 10-24-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I think one of the following would be a good idea:

1. Buy a cabinet with a lock on and make sure that it is never open when he is around.

2. Go into his room and take stuff of his and sell/destroy it to teach the fucker a lesson.

3. Probably the best solution......get the cops involved. I don't give a shit who it is....but if someone was stealing my DVDs i would get their arses knicked by the fuzz. Maybe try and set up a camera to try and film him doing his stealing. I am sure a trap would be easy enough to set. Once he is caught on film then make him pay up or threaten to get the Police involved.

Once he pays i would still get the police involved to show the fucker that he won't be doing it again in some time.
Old 10-24-05, 02:15 PM

1. Blackout the UPCs with a marker instead of cutting them out
2. Confront him about it