DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tough stickers = Old stock?

Old 07-21-05, 10:55 AM

Tough stickers = Old stock?

I've noticed this on a few DVDs, and most recently the free copy of Star Wars Ep. I that I got in the mail today through the Kellogg's Miniwheats promotion.

Sometimes the security stickers sealing the case just don't want to come off, and they leave a lot of residue behind. With this Star Wars disc, it actually crinkled the edge of the plastic on the case as I started to remove it. Fortunately there was only one seal, at the top. As for the residue, I've found it can be lifted off using the sticker seals themselves, or tape.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of old stock? That as it ages, the glue gets tougher.

Can't complain about the Star Wars disc. It was free. Anyone else get in on this deal? It was mailed in a padded envelope, but looks perfect, the discs are in great shape and it's WIDESCREEN!
Old 07-21-05, 11:21 AM

I use a product called "Undu" to remove stickers from everything (cds, dvds, even magazine adress labels). I cannot recommend that stuff highly enough. It dissolves all residue instantly but doesn't damage the item.
Old 07-21-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More likely it has been in some extreme heat. I always find that DVDs that are delivered during a heat wave have this problem as well -- I think high temperatures, sitting in hot delivery trucks, etc. "toughens" the glue a bit. Goo Gone takes care of it pretty easily.
Old 07-21-05, 11:33 AM

Yeah, it could be heat. That makes sense.

Getting the residue off isn't too hard. I guess you can use those products mentioned, but it seems using the stickers themselves or a piece of scotch tape works too. The problem is more with getting the sticker off in the first place. I was pretty careful, but it still slightly damaged the clear plastic of the case where I first tried to remove it, because it was adhered so tough. And you don't really know if that's the case until you try.

I remember reading before that some just splice the cases open with a razor and leave the stickers in place. I could never do that. When I buy a DVD, I want to remove all that stuff, as well as remove any security tag inside.
Old 07-21-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been told that a hairdryer helps for removing the sticker itself.
Old 07-21-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's more of a sign of heat...I bought Million Dollar Baby last week and had a heck of a time getting the stickers off of it...and that's a brand new release.
Old 07-21-05, 12:31 PM

naptha on naptha

I use a product called lighter fluid. It will remove tough labels from paper and after evaporating there is no visible after-effect. naptha on naptha is the thing.
Old 07-21-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems like the security stickers have gotten better over the years in being easier to remove in most cases. The new releases are usually good, but many older catalog titles are awful. I have had the most success using Goo Gone, but sometimes simply using a security sticker to "stick" to the sticky residue on the dvd case works best.
Old 07-21-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was another thread where someone suggested that the stickers have been using a stronger adhesive. I said that I had also had some cases where I damaged the outer plastic (crinkling as the OP mentioned), but it seems that that was before it got really hot, so I don't know if it is the heat.

The hair dryer suggestion would seem to contradict the heat theory, unless heat isn't a problem when it's moving fast. Maybe it just comes down to how the sticker was applied to the case in the factory. Maybe if it was more tightly attached it's harder to remove?
Old 07-21-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember ever getting upset at the stickers, but I hate it when the shrinkwrap sticks to the spine ....

anyone have suggestions for getting that mess off?
Old 07-21-05, 10:33 PM
Cool New Member

I use the razor blade method, cutting at the seam, opening the case and peeling the stickers off. Works well for me.
Does anyone remember when cd's first came out? Those stickers seemed like they were put on with crazy glue.
Old 09-02-05, 08:12 PM
En vacance

I bought Good Bad Ugly SE and the insert was stuck with some glue to the back that when ripped off took off the actual covering, dumbasses with their rubber glue.
Old 09-03-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

zippo fluid works for me.
Old 09-03-05, 08:30 AM
MSA

I buy spare DVD covers if my sticker removal efforts go bust.
I agree that heat plays a major role in making the stickers adhesive turn into super glue.
I tried putting the DVD in the fridge for awhile and than quickly removing the sticker before the DVD hit room temperature. Sometimes it works quiet well.
The superheated/melted stickers are truly a pain. I get so frustrated trying to be delicate in removing the sticker that I no longer want to watch the movie because I either deformed and ripped the plastic or the cover art got ripped.

Nowadays, If I have to struggle with the dang sticker and a deformed ripped plastic is eminent, I break out a new blank DVD cover and watch my beloved movie.

We are all anal to some point.
Old 09-03-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Scarfacedude
I bought Good Bad Ugly SE and the insert was stuck with some glue to the back that when ripped off took off the actual covering, dumbasses with their rubber glue.
Same here. I got mine through Columbia House. I gently peeled the back off, but it still ripped a small part. There's a nice torn part in the middle of the case.
Old 09-03-05, 10:19 PM
En vacance

luckily though i saved the tiny scrap of paper and will glue it back on with a magnifying glass and all that precision hopefully
Old 09-05-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if it is old stock, but I've noticed with a lot of Lions Gate releases, that I've had this problem with. Both Cube and Irreversible had a barcode sticker over the printed barcode on the paper jacket itself. I remember it being a pain to get the stickers off both, that I just ended up replacing the cases.
Old 09-05-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it is due entirely to being old stock. I have gotten a couple of new releases with extremely tough stickers. I had to use goo-gone but sofar nothing I couldn't get off eventually. I do have some extra cases just in case.