Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Evolution of my DVD buying habits

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP. However, I also get to factor in the free screeners and former employment at a used DVD store (I'd been shopping there for years, too) and I almost never buy new DVDs anymore.
Old 07-18-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have cracked down hard on my DVD spending. I used to buy stuff every week but now I only buy used, or new during the DDD sale. I have also decided that the best way to measure a DVD is by it's re-watch value. If there is a likelihood I won't watch it once in a while...I don't buy it. I have tons of movies that are great but that I can't see popping in the player. Not to mention I am backed up on my TV Sets.

It doesn't help that I have run our of shelf space as well! It's time to cull the herd.
Old 07-18-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I started in '99, and even though I've slowed down, I'm still buying quite a few - only not at Best Buy or Wal-Mar. When I started slowing down, I got an all-region/PAL converter DVD player and I nearly doubled the number of dvds I bought each month. I've slowed down again recently, but like Gut, I'm building a library (I'm hovering at around 800), and I'm mostly just buying older titles like WB's box sets, Asian/European titles and some favorite TV shows of mine.

Again, it's not like I have to watch everything I own all at once and all the way through - a lot of the movies and TV shows I have I know I'll never watch again in their entirety - but there are scenes within those dvds which I will most certainly watch again. Saving Private Ryan is a good example - unless people want to come over and watch it with me on my HT, I doubt I will ever pop it in and watch the whole thing all the way through again. But I will definitely spin the beach-attack scene, or the attack at the end numerous times again. And that is the joy in having access to the greatest film/concert/TV library in the world: mine.