DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

THE Soldier on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 07:19 PM
boe
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE Soldier on DVD

Would anyone else like to see this one released on DVD?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0084704/

I think it belongs to MGM.

I guess it was released in the UK but I don't see it here in the US.
Old 06-24-05, 08:41 PM
Banned

Never heard of it.
Old 06-24-05, 08:51 PM

Awsome film, especially the ski sequence!
Old 06-24-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
God, I haven't seen that in ages! Would love to re-live it.

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
Awsome film, especially the ski sequence!
Cool sequence. Plus..

Spoiler:
The staged execution that occurs earlier in the movie also shocked me

BTW, if there was a DVD, let's see the original poster on it
Old 06-24-05, 09:38 PM
boe
Suspended

[QUOTE=Mondo Kane]
BTW, if there was a DVD, let's see the original poster on it
QUOTE]

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/v2/dvd...0000092425.asp
Old 06-25-05, 05:06 AM
JM1

I remember this, it was called Codename-The Soldier when it was originally released in the UK. Pretty tatty if I recall, very poorly plotted and dumb action scenes. It also used a lot of sourced Tangerine Dream music that was kind of shoehorned in and very distracting.

I would be fascinated to see it after all these years, but would probably not want to shell out money for it.
Old 06-25-05, 08:44 AM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by JM1
I remember this, it was called Codename-The Soldier when it was originally released in the UK. Pretty tatty if I recall, very poorly plotted and dumb action scenes. It also used a lot of sourced Tangerine Dream music that was kind of shoehorned in and very distracting.
You have a heck of a good memory, I don't recall any music in the movie except some baroque-like stuff that was playing when his black version of Cato attacks him when he's lounging in a chair. I have no idea what the piece was though.
Old 06-25-05, 09:02 AM

some of the music was a re-working of their soundtrack to THIEF. Film has one of the coolest eye catching opening credits.
Old 06-25-05, 01:26 PM

Awesome movie! This one was one of my Dad's favorites!!

I would get it on DVD in a heartbeat!!

Take care all!!
Old 06-26-05, 11:21 AM
boe
Suspended

English DVD

If I ordered it from England, would I be able to play it on my standard DVD player or would I need a region free or r2 or some such thing? I don't know squat about the regions. I don't even know what region the standard US DVD players are.

Thanks
Old 06-26-05, 12:07 PM
JM1

It would not play on a non modified or non region free R1 dvd player, it's region 2.

You would need to either get your existing player modified (chipped, as we say in the UK) or buy a multi region player.
Old 06-26-05, 01:13 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by JM1
It would not play on a non modified or non region free R1 dvd player, it's region 2.

You would need to either get your existing player modified (chipped, as we say in the UK) or buy a multi region player.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-05, 08:02 PM

There's also another edition from Germany (R2), just been reviewed at dvdmaniacs.net.
Old 06-27-05, 08:24 AM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djangoman
There's also another edition from Germany (R2), just been reviewed at dvdmaniacs.net.
Thanks - perhaps there is hope they will actually release a US version of the DVD.
Old 06-28-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I have it on CED Videodisc- the 8-track of video
Old 07-24-05, 10:19 AM
boe
Suspended

Does anyone know when the DVD was released in England? I'm curious if it was recent or if I should get a copy, and re-record it for R1 on my PC DVD.
Old 07-24-05, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by boe
Does anyone know when the DVD was released in England?
The DVD was never released in England. It was released in the UK. Saying England is like me confusing the USA with Brazil.

The Soldier was released February 2005 by Cinema Club who distribute it on behalf of StudioCanal which is part of VivendiUniversal.

So -technically- I guess Universal Studios might own the film, but not necessarily the North American video rights as MGM have claim to much of Embassy's back catalogue -they spell that with a ue in 'England'

Unfortunately, MGM don't have a great record with some Embassy films (The Graduate) but have done well with others (The Fog).

The DVD is available in the US from www.xploitedcinema.com and they list it as Region 0.
Old 07-24-05, 11:58 AM

Some screen grabs here
Old 07-24-05, 02:02 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
[The DVD was never released in England. It was released in the UK. Saying England is like me confusing the USA with Brazil.

I would consider it more analogous with confusing the US with North America. I guess I don't get worked up when people make that sort of generalization. Boy - the English sure get riled easily

Seriously though, thanks for the info on that Region 0 DVD, I appreciate the info.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-05, 03:58 PM

I am not English

If I told you the French gave the Statue of Liberty to the USA as a gift you'd probably not believe me and rename French Fries to Freedom Fries err.... you've already done that...

Seriously, I think people should know a little bit about what's happening in the world and it would show a bit of respect for people if you know the very basics of what and where their country is. Not that I have anything against Americans (my grandfather is Texan and he fought in WWII -I can respect that) but I would just like to see some of them try a bit harder.

Unfortunately, the US government like to keep as many people as possible dumb.

And ignorance is a killer. SuperSized.

Anyway, back to multiregion living...
Old 07-24-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyway, back to multiregion living...
No, no, no. You hijacked the thread, made some ignorant comments and are now trying to avoid defending your actions. It's not cool.
Old 07-24-05, 04:21 PM
boe
Suspended

I am not English
I was hoping you might catch that attempt at humor.

Unfortunately, the US government like to keep as many people as possible dumb.

I don't blame the US goverment - it is my own fault for being ignorant/lazy as an adult.

But lets get back to the thread - if anyone knows of a Region1 DVD with a 5.1 English audio track, please chime in.
Old 07-24-05, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
No, no, no. You hijacked the thread, made some ignorant comments and are now trying to avoid defending your actions. It's not cool.
Ignorant as in 'lack of knowledge'? Where and how?

I was helpful and merely commented on the person's ignorance with reference to 'England'. I've seen it on this board 100s of times.

Doesn't make him/her a bad person and I didn't say it did.
Old 07-25-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Daniel...

That big yellow region is England, which is part of the United Kingdom. It is one of the three political divisions that make up the island of Great Britain. This is simple geography, and you had no right to make boe feel ignorant, especially with your ludicrous "US and Brazil" analogy. England is in the United Kingdom. Brazil is not in the United States of America. Adding on the "you spell stuff different" and the tired-to-death "freedom fries" comment was unnecessary and outright silly.

So of course "The Soldier" was released in England, just as sure as I can say "Spider-Man 2" was released in Illinois. Using a comment like that to launch into an "OMG Americans is so ignant" lecture is not becoming of a respectful poster.

This isn't the first time I've seen you behave this way in a post, and I wish it would stop. I enjoy your posts otherwise; you seem knowledgeable.
Old 07-25-05, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That big yellow region is England, which is part of the United Kingdom. It is one of the three political divisions that make up the island of Great Britain. This is simple geography, and you had no right to make boe feel ignorant, especially with your ludicrous "US and Brazil" analogy. England is in the United Kingdom. Brazil is not in the United States of America. Adding on the "you spell stuff different" and the tired-to-death "freedom fries" comment was unnecessary and outright silly.

So of course "The Soldier" was released in England, just as sure as I can say "Spider-Man 2" was released in Illinois. Using a comment like that to launch into an "OMG Americans is so ignant" lecture is not becoming of a respectful poster.

This isn't the first time I've seen you behave this way in a post, and I wish it would stop. I enjoy your posts otherwise; you seem knowledgeable.
Well, I'm sure we are all very grateful for the geo-political lesson on the UK. People in the UK appreciate it even more as they must be ignorant of the facts.

It is impossible to release a DVD in 'England'. In fact it would be a criminal offence. A film like Codename: The Soldier would have to be passed by the UK censor and that would make the film available for UK distribution.

As for my comments, yes I do admit to being over the top sometimes but I do get slightly annoyed at dumb people. Although, I would not suggest boe is dumb from his comments later in the thread.

The term 'England' and 'English' can cause a lot of offence in the UK and people who use it are ignorant. Don't worry though because they are in very good company as I hear lots of people use it. Hey, I'm ignorant about the name of every city in Mississippi but I still make an effort to spell Mississippi correctly and have a broad idea of where it is and what it does.

I do ignore most dumb comment about 'England' but since I was posting good info on this thread I couldn't help myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.