Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the "best" version of Uncut Batman: Return of the Joker?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw this at Walmart today for $8 and just grabbed it on impulse. I didn't even think to see if it was WS or FS. I'm not even sure that it matters. With direct-to-video things like this, usually their OAR is fullscreen. But, anyway, on the back it says "Standard Version: This film has been modified as follows from its original version: It has been formatted to fit your screen." That usually means it's pan & scan. So I do a little research online and it seems like there IS a widescreen version of this movie (the uncut version), but it's just matted. I think I'd rather the fullscreen version if the WS is just matted (it's not like this ever played in the theater). Does anyone know which version is the best to get? If the WS is better, I think I want to return this one. Thanks
Old 06-19-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
AFAIK, if it's the uncut version, it's non-anamorphic widescreen, about 1.77:1. The cut version is 1.33. It was drawn 1.33 for TV showings, but was composed for future HD broadcasts at 1.77 just like the current Justice League eps. I've only seen the uncut version and framing is perfect. I believe the packaging was a simple misprint.
Old 06-19-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Interesting. Well, mine's definitely the Uncut version because it says "UNCUT" on the front. So the "STandard Format" is a misprint... hmm. Guess I'll just have to take the risk, open it, and see what it is! Thanks.
Old 06-19-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both because I consider them different movies. The uncut's story even has different scenes that really round it out. I would just get them both.
Old 06-19-05, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty positive my copy of the Uncut was anamorphic...but I could be wrong...