Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this too anal?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is this too anal?

Old 06-15-05, 09:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
This thread turned up on a routine forum search for "anal." It does not deliver!
Old 06-15-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well at least it has your name on it now...
Old 06-15-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This thread turned up on a routine forum search for "anal." It does not deliver!
Old 06-15-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I know the feeling. Not with the case but, any minor abrasions on a DVD, even if the movie most likely will play just fine, I return it. No questions asked. They think it's strange that I would want to return the DVD even if I'm not sure if it will play or not.

I mean, you know how you like your merchandise. You want it to have nothing wrong with it at all. Who are the retailers to tell you what should make you happy? A pet peeve at stores is that they will make comments such as that. They are not me, and I'm not them. I don't care if a scratched DVD plays fine. I just don't want it. And sometimes I'm willing to accept a DVD with some very minor damage to the case, very minor. But if the store imprinted your name into the plastic on the DVD case, then yes, they should have to replace it.
Old 06-15-05, 09:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
whoa, whoa whoa...you paid $30 for it. Oops!
Old 06-15-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No you are not to anal. I also would have done the same thing.
Old 06-15-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're not only anal, you're kind of a freak. I love DVDs but people are fetishizing these things way too much. Ultimately the thing that's important is the content on the disc, not the box it comes in.
Old 06-15-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
You're not only anal, you're kind of a freak. I love DVDs but people are fetishizing these things way too much. Ultimately the thing that's important is the content on the disc, not the box it comes in.
Granted the DVD content is the main importance of any purchase, but for a collector, the whole package is critical. I easily understand how many people would see all this fuss as being way too anal, but some people really do care about how their collection looks. It's like saying the dust cover of an old first edition book isn't important because it's the book itself that you're reading. Not to a collector, it's not!

I would've done the same, especially on a special order Criterion.
Old 06-15-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess those of you who wouldn't mind that being done to your DVD would also write your checks at a book store using a book to write on!

I also thought that they could have just wrote on the post it and then put it on the movie. I know I have done that in the day. I ordered it from a store where I know a couple people (and the person I know who I ordered it from was able to get me a discount on it, which is why I put up with it, but I normally order this kind of DVD online-those with the card board slip case-as they don't come with any stickers or crap on them if you order them online) so I know the person who receieved the special order and did that to the DVD, and he's a dumb ass anyway, and the person who made that comment to me was just messing with me, it was in a casual way.

When I was a kid, a similar thing happened to me. I was at a book store and they had the Marvel Comics adaptation of Return of the Jedi and I didn't have the money for it then, so I had them put it behind the counter for me, and the woman working the counter whipped out a post-it, stuck it on the magazine, and wrote my name. When I got it, there was my name engraved into the cover. I sucked it up and took it, but even as a kid, I hated that kind of thing. My parents taught me the value of keeping things like comics and other collectibles in good condition. It's sad if there are those of you (although a very few of you on this message board, it would seem) who never learned it.

I think it's kind of funny they have to sell a copy of the DVD now with my last name engraved on the cover.
Old 06-15-05, 10:52 AM

To most, that's probably pretty anal, but since it's your money and you expected an umblemished product then you did nothing wrong or anything that should be questioned. Especially from the person who sold it to you, who should know pressing hard on a post-it will affect a soft surface, and shouldn't be making their customers feel uncomfortable for being a little bit selective and discerning on what they buy in a "professional" store.

... and this is alittle off-topic, but you can pre-order most DVD releases from Criterion for $20 (and $25 for the pricier ones) at most of the big, reliable e-tailers for any future DVDs from the criterion collection you want.
Old 06-15-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think you are that anal. It's a collectable DVD afterall. Even a small nick could lower the price of a collectable DVD later when you want to sell it. I think you have every right to refuse to buy a DVD that is not in mint condition.
Old 06-15-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Not only did you pay way too much for it ($30? WTF?), what are you doing special-ordering it? You can easily pick up a copy at the local BestBuy/Circuit City, as they have a bunch in stock for far less.
Old 06-15-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Not only did you pay way too much for it ($30? WTF?), what are you doing special-ordering it? You can easily pick up a copy at the local BestBuy/Circuit City, as they have a bunch in stock for far less.

No, I am getting it for 21.99. I said the SRP is 30.00. When I consider the value of the DVD, I consider what the SRP is, not the cost to me.

The Best Buy near me caught fire last year and they never reopened it.
Old 06-15-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Her response?

"Oh, you're a Case Nazi."
My response? "May I have the name of your manager anbd his mangager? I don't take well to being compared to a govenmrnt that attempted geonocide on a race."

I would have gotten whatever I was buying for free. That is utter bullshit.
Old 06-15-05, 11:24 AM
JM1

To me the issue here is not being anal at all - it's about the guy standing up for himself and getting what he wants. He thought it was wrong, he was not happy with it and he made them do something about it. The opinions of others are of no consequence.

Being from the UK, we often suffer from the "don't make a fuss" scenario (though I hasten to add personally I don't, and the trend is changing). We will often accept things, put up with things and not say anything.

My motto is has always been to question everything - if someone says that's the way it is and you have to accept it/cannot do anything about it etc, ask why. Question them until they give you an answer you are happy with - if they cannot do that, if they cannot explain themselves adequately, then they are basically full of shit.

They may think you are an asshole, but they won't ignore you. Persist, and you will usually get what you want.
Old 06-15-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
Granted the DVD content is the main importance of any purchase, but for a collector, the whole package is critical. I easily understand how many people would see all this fuss as being way too anal, but some people really do care about how their collection looks. It's like saying the dust cover of an old first edition book isn't important because it's the book itself that you're reading. Not to a collector, it's not!
Collectors are anal, this sort of behavior is anal. Why do people keep insisting that it isn't? Just accept your analness and be proud of it.
Old 06-15-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, not really. If you are going to buy a dvd you have every right as a costumer/consumer to demand perfection from the store you buy it at. They are obligated to keep their merchandise in the best shape as possible for you, the customer, which means their dvds being in mint condition. I bought the 2 disc set at Wal-Mart and was looking at a few of them to see what dvd had the best outer cover, with few scuffs and scratches from stocking the product. I am like you, when I buy a dvd I look for it to have the best quality possible.
Old 06-15-05, 11:42 AM

Not too anal in the least. Sounds like you did the right thing. I wouldn't want that kind of marking on any book or DVD of mine either, and it was careless of the store employee to make the mark in the first place. If it were an exterior box or packaging that gets thrown away, then refusing it would be anal IMHO, but not if it's the part that gets retained, like a DVD case or book jacket. It's your money, and you can buy what you want to buy, and refuse everything else.
Old 06-15-05, 11:51 AM
Retired

I'm not really anal with DVDs at all, so that's not something that would have bothered me in the least.

I'm just not a collector. I just by movies I love and will watch over and over, rather than doing it even remotely for the collecting aspect.

But to each his own.
Old 06-15-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes it is too anal. But that's me, I don't sit there and watch the case. I watch the movie. It's a stupid DVD that will be in the $5 bargin bin somewhere in 5 years. I'm not ripping on the movie I'm just saying that most movies no matter how good end up in the bargin bin.
Old 06-15-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have done the same thing.
Old 06-15-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see the single disc version of Life Aquatic being marked down, much like Chasing Amy and Royal Tennenbaums have been, but not the two disc version. Isn't that a limited edition?

Coincidently, in response to the suggestion of going to Best Buy, even though the one near me doesn't exist, last week I was out of town and went to one and they had Stripes on sale for 13.99, so I wanted to buy it. Unfortunately, they had their stickers on the card board case. I tried to get it off of two cases before buying it, but I could not get them off and was afraid of damaging the case, so I just let it go and got it elsewhere. I paid a little more for it ($2.00 more to be exact) but I own a copy without sticker markings.

These card board slip cases may look nice, but they can be a nightmare for collectors if they are trying to find copies of the DVD in the best condition possible. Why can't the stuidos just wrap the things in plastic wrap? Does it save the studios that much money to skip the plastic wrap around the complete package?
Old 06-15-05, 12:16 PM

Although I do think what you did is anal, I don't think it's wrong... you paid for it you should receive the merchandise in the condition that could be expected for any "new" product.

That being said, I was in a comic shop several years ago with sleeves and boards in hand (I used to bag them as I picked them out), when I saw a guy take a handful of comics to the counter to purchase. The cashier noticed that the spine of one of his comics was creased and offered him another one. The guy looked at the cashier, then at the comic book and said, "you mean this crease?" He then took the book and basically rolled it into a tube along the spine (creating audible gasps from the other customers)... pretty much ruining any resale value it might have, then he said, "No, I'm going to READ it."

I stood there for a minute and thought about my own "reading" habits and realized that to a certain extent, I wasn't enjoying comics the way I used to. I would take then home carefully read them once, then re-sleeve them and put them in a box so they could MABEY increase in value. But the thing was, by being so paranoid I was actually LESSENING the actual usable value of the comic. When I was a kid I would read them four or five times, lend them to friends, trace over the pictures, then pin them to the wall. Now I was reading them once and locking them away.

So now I try to find a balance. I don't intentionally damage my DVDs or comics, but I also don't over-protect them, and if something happens to come a little damaged, as long as the disc if fine, I'm okay with it.
Old 06-15-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have accidently damaged a couple of my DVDs in my time of being a collector. I don't sweat it, and if the case is replaceable, I will just switch the case out, but if you are buying something new, that's another thing entirely.

I also used to enjoy comics like that when I was a kid. Unfortunately, they don't have any real value anymore, and most of my comics I beat up as a kid, before I learned about keeping care of them, were early Star Wars comics, comics that if I had kept care of them, would be quite valueable these days.
Old 06-15-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this has happened to me about 2-3 times in the past. they usually do this at bestbuy when the clerk has to fill out the yellow form for pricematching, and need something to write on, so they use a friggin' dvd. it happened so fast it was useless to complain, so i'd just go rebuy it and return the original later on. a moment of embarrassment is better than constant anguish over it later on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.