DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is this too anal? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/426898-too-anal.html)

eXcentris 06-15-05 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Granted the DVD content is the main importance of any purchase, but for a collector, the whole package is critical. I easily understand how many people would see all this fuss as being way too anal, but some people really do care about how their collection looks. It's like saying the dust cover of an old first edition book isn't important because it's the book itself that you're reading. Not to a collector, it's not!

Collectors are anal, this sort of behavior is anal. Why do people keep insisting that it isn't? Just accept your analness and be proud of it. :)

dvd_luver 06-15-05 11:42 AM

No, not really. If you are going to buy a dvd you have every right as a costumer/consumer to demand perfection from the store you buy it at. They are obligated to keep their merchandise in the best shape as possible for you, the customer, which means their dvds being in mint condition. I bought the 2 disc set at Wal-Mart and was looking at a few of them to see what dvd had the best outer cover, with few scuffs and scratches from stocking the product. I am like you, when I buy a dvd I look for it to have the best quality possible.

gcbma 06-15-05 11:42 AM

Not too anal in the least. Sounds like you did the right thing. I wouldn't want that kind of marking on any book or DVD of mine either, and it was careless of the store employee to make the mark in the first place. If it were an exterior box or packaging that gets thrown away, then refusing it would be anal IMHO, but not if it's the part that gets retained, like a DVD case or book jacket. It's your money, and you can buy what you want to buy, and refuse everything else.

Josh H 06-15-05 11:51 AM

I'm not really anal with DVDs at all, so that's not something that would have bothered me in the least.

I'm just not a collector. I just by movies I love and will watch over and over, rather than doing it even remotely for the collecting aspect.

But to each his own.

Mopower 06-15-05 11:54 AM

Yes it is too anal. But that's me, I don't sit there and watch the case. I watch the movie. It's a stupid DVD that will be in the $5 bargin bin somewhere in 5 years. I'm not ripping on the movie I'm just saying that most movies no matter how good end up in the bargin bin.

cajun_junky 06-15-05 12:02 PM

I would have done the same thing.

calhoun07 06-15-05 12:06 PM

I can see the single disc version of Life Aquatic being marked down, much like Chasing Amy and Royal Tennenbaums have been, but not the two disc version. Isn't that a limited edition?

Coincidently, in response to the suggestion of going to Best Buy, even though the one near me doesn't exist, last week I was out of town and went to one and they had Stripes on sale for 13.99, so I wanted to buy it. Unfortunately, they had their stickers on the card board case. I tried to get it off of two cases before buying it, but I could not get them off and was afraid of damaging the case, so I just let it go and got it elsewhere. I paid a little more for it ($2.00 more to be exact) but I own a copy without sticker markings.

These card board slip cases may look nice, but they can be a nightmare for collectors if they are trying to find copies of the DVD in the best condition possible. Why can't the stuidos just wrap the things in plastic wrap? Does it save the studios that much money to skip the plastic wrap around the complete package?

Luka 06-15-05 12:16 PM

Although I do think what you did is anal, I don't think it's wrong... you paid for it you should receive the merchandise in the condition that could be expected for any "new" product.

That being said, I was in a comic shop several years ago with sleeves and boards in hand (I used to bag them as I picked them out), when I saw a guy take a handful of comics to the counter to purchase. The cashier noticed that the spine of one of his comics was creased and offered him another one. The guy looked at the cashier, then at the comic book and said, "you mean this crease?" He then took the book and basically rolled it into a tube along the spine (creating audible gasps from the other customers)... pretty much ruining any resale value it might have, then he said, "No, I'm going to READ it."

I stood there for a minute and thought about my own "reading" habits and realized that to a certain extent, I wasn't enjoying comics the way I used to. I would take then home carefully read them once, then re-sleeve them and put them in a box so they could MABEY increase in value. But the thing was, by being so paranoid I was actually LESSENING the actual usable value of the comic. When I was a kid I would read them four or five times, lend them to friends, trace over the pictures, then pin them to the wall. Now I was reading them once and locking them away.

So now I try to find a balance. I don't intentionally damage my DVDs or comics, but I also don't over-protect them, and if something happens to come a little damaged, as long as the disc if fine, I'm okay with it.

calhoun07 06-15-05 12:32 PM

I have accidently damaged a couple of my DVDs in my time of being a collector. I don't sweat it, and if the case is replaceable, I will just switch the case out, but if you are buying something new, that's another thing entirely.

I also used to enjoy comics like that when I was a kid. Unfortunately, they don't have any real value anymore, and most of my comics I beat up as a kid, before I learned about keeping care of them, were early Star Wars comics, comics that if I had kept care of them, would be quite valueable these days.

darmok 06-15-05 03:07 PM

this has happened to me about 2-3 times in the past. they usually do this at bestbuy when the clerk has to fill out the yellow form for pricematching, and need something to write on, so they use a friggin' dvd. it happened so fast it was useless to complain, so i'd just go rebuy it and return the original later on. a moment of embarrassment is better than constant anguish over it later on.

ScottsDvds 06-15-05 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I special ordered Life Aquatic the 2 disc limited edition from a local store, and when I went in to pick it up, I saw that they had put a yellow post-it on the case with my name written in ballpoint pen.

I returned a Pulp Fiction Criterion Laserdisc box set to Ken Crane's because someone did the same thing.

Goat3001 06-15-05 03:23 PM

Anal? yes. Too anal? For most, yes. I wouldn't bother if something like that happened to me. I would pay for it and get it done with. However, the bottom line is that it is your money and your DVD and you should only take whats good for you. If I was the store clerk I would have been a little surprised to see you not accept it but I would just do what you want.

jbnugent 06-15-05 03:58 PM

I had a similar incident several years back. I have managed to purchase all of Criterions dvd releases thus far save one... Salo. I had it in my hand and put it back on the shelf to purchase at a later date. That was a mistake.
Not wanting to invest several hundreds of dollars on an elusive bone fide copy, I sought out the next best thing. I dropped a hundred bucks on a Criterion Laserdisc copy off of Ebay. It was carefully packaged to insure safe transport and indeed arrived safely.
I opened the package, removed the stryofoam nugget encsonced disc and carefully opened the bubble wrap. What do I see? A post it note in the top left hand corner bearing the message, "Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!".
It didn't even occur to me that it had been written after the note was stuck to the jacket. Sure enough, the jacket now bears a permanent impression of the thoughtful message. Very disappointing, but unfortunately, at the time, the disc was hard to come by so I've learned to accept it in all its flawed glory...

Jimmy

bboisvert 06-15-05 04:10 PM

Definitely not too anal. I too have returned laserdiscs for that very reason.

WarriorPrincess 06-15-05 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Luka
Although I do think what you did is anal, I don't think it's wrong... you paid for it you should receive the merchandise in the condition that could be expected for any "new" product.

That being said, I was in a comic shop several years ago with sleeves and boards in hand (I used to bag them as I picked them out), when I saw a guy take a handful of comics to the counter to purchase. The cashier noticed that the spine of one of his comics was creased and offered him another one. The guy looked at the cashier, then at the comic book and said, "you mean this crease?" He then took the book and basically rolled it into a tube along the spine (creating audible gasps from the other customers)... pretty much ruining any resale value it might have, then he said, "No, I'm going to READ it."

I stood there for a minute and thought about my own "reading" habits and realized that to a certain extent, I wasn't enjoying comics the way I used to. I would take then home carefully read them once, then re-sleeve them and put them in a box so they could MABEY increase in value. But the thing was, by being so paranoid I was actually LESSENING the actual usable value of the comic. When I was a kid I would read them four or five times, lend them to friends, trace over the pictures, then pin them to the wall. Now I was reading them once and locking them away.

So now I try to find a balance. I don't intentionally damage my DVDs or comics, but I also don't over-protect them, and if something happens to come a little damaged, as long as the disc if fine, I'm okay with it.

Well said. I too have tried to relax about the minor wear and tear (and let me stress the word "minor" :) ) that occurs when reading books or comics and in watching dvds. I now lend my movies to friends I trust not to damage the discs and who will make every reasonable attempt to not damage the case. If a scuff or bump occurs on the case, so be it. I bought the damn things so they would be enjoyed, and knowing my friends are enjoying them too makes me happy. If a case is particularly difficult to manage, either by virtue of it being made from paper or by the hub being too hard to use (won't release discs easily enough), then I just put the disc in an aol case - problem solved.

I also ask that they do common sense things like not to handle discs/books with dirty hands or if they've just put lotion on, and not to leave them in the car or anywhere damp. I find myself a much more happy and relaxed person now that I don't obsess over every nick and scrape on my dvd cases, so it's been great for me.

That being said, if I ever have a choice about a dvd, book, comic, or even a magazine, I will always take the one that is in the best condition (why start out with it messed up?) - and I would have done the same thing wrt asking for a different disc that didn't have my name imbedded in the case. :)

Fandango 06-15-05 04:33 PM

I think this story has taught us something very important, that is to use a Sharpie when writing something on a post it note when it is affixed to a dvd case.

Alan Smithee 06-15-05 05:03 PM

A post it note in the top left hand corner bearing the message, "Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!".
That's the most unlikely thing I'd expect to see on a copy of "Salo"- they must not have ever watched the movie!
Back in 1994 I woke up early to be at Tower Video when they opened the day "Jurassic Park" came out on laserdisc, the first week it was on sale for the low low price of $34.99. They were still on the carts when I got in the store (they normally didn't stock this many of any LD title, nowadays this is a very common title in the used stores), so I picked up one that was most likely to have never been touched by anyone, then took it to the counter and wrote a check. The clerk checked my drivers license and started to write the number on the check when it was right on top of the LD cover, but I shouted "NOOOOO!" and threw myself in front of it.

boredsilly 06-15-05 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luka

That's awesome. The analness (does that word make any sense) of some comic book readers is a trip to me. I can understand it, and I think it is more of a habit for most now than anything else, but the whole bag and boarding thing is lost on me.

I have a similar view on taking care of my things. I know I'm hard on my discs, dvds cases, books, etc I just try to be as gentle as possible, but ultimately when you handle something a lot it's going to get a bit of wear and tear (at least the way I do things). I remember reading people (maybe even a review here) being upset at how the Smallville dvd sets were made because it was next to impossible to get the discs out without creating creases in the spine. That's the kind of stuff that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

That being said, I'm a firm believer in retailers taking care of their customers and providing things in "brand new" condition. I may end up fucking my own stuff up, but I don't want to buy things that way. This is why I will never buy games from the various Video Game specialty stores (who open new games before they're sold).

bboisvert 06-15-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I picked up one that was most likely to have never been touched by anyone, then took it to the counter and wrote a check. The clerk checked my drivers license and started to write the number on the check when it was right on top of the LD cover, but I shouted "NOOOOO!" and threw myself in front of it.

rotfl

It's funny because it's true. I pulled this same move many, many times in my LD buying days. For some reason, clerks -- even those who worked in actual LD shops -- seem to like to use them as a writing surface.

billy9215 06-15-05 09:11 PM

Product is damaged.

I would refuse and ask them to reorder it.

Alan Smithee 06-16-05 01:28 AM

I just remembered that I've got "10,000 Anal Maniacs" on laserdisc. It's a cutout though, but at least it was cheap.

CertifiedTHX 06-16-05 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Giles

really it's not that hard to do. I used to work at a Book/Music store and I always did that - I didn't want to imprint some person's name on a book/CD cover/slipcase. Hell I was so anal when I was up at the cashier and someone was writing a check and leaning against a book, I'd be like - "please use the counter, not the cover of a book"

Many years ago a family friend came over for Thanksgiving dinner. We poured him a drink, and he got comfortable on a recliner positioned next to a floor lamp with a glass tray around its middle. In between sips he proceeded to set his glass down on top of a paperback book that we had left on the tray. I watched him do it--intentionally but unaware of my feelings--and I practically cringed. You don't lay a glass that's sure to sweat on paper like that! Ugh!

Anyway, calhoun07, you are anal about it, sure, but I'm right there with you. I would absolutely refuse a copy of a DVD that the store managed to ruin. The quality of my DVD cases are just as important to me as the movies themselves. I will stand in the store with five or six copies of the same DVD in my arms, and inspect each one with care to make sure I get the most mint condition copy as possible. I probably look a little crazy, but I can live with that. My collection is more important than a few raised eyebrows.

--THX

calhoun07 06-16-05 01:56 AM

In a somewhat related story, I did have somebody do that to one of my Criterion DVDs (Straw Dogs) with the glass of water. I don't think they put it on the DVD, but I had just gotten the DVD and it was sitting on a table by the chair and I went to bed and it was just fine. I got up the next morning and I saw the case was laying open and the art was not in there, but set aside laying open as well, wrinkled as hell and all wet. Somebody else had spilled water on it. I insisted on returning it for exchange and the person who did it (a family member) thought I was crazy to go to the store to exchange it, but I did anyway and they didn't say a word to me and let me get a new copy of Straw Dogs.

I guess I just don't have luck with Criterion DVDs!

GmoneyOwnsYou 06-16-05 02:48 AM

I dont think it was too anal. Was it anal? Yes but not too anal. Damn, that's too many anals. But I would just like to say that I think these slip cases are quite pointless. Sure they look nice sometimes but eventually they do take up more space even though they arent very thick, they wear after awhile just like old vhs covers, it's just more stuff to go throw to get the damn dvd out of the case and that esspecially is annoying when the case also has those two "security" clips. Why are we putting cases in other cases now?! It's also a waste of trees, didnt we have this problem with cds once?

EDIT: Also just think when you build up a large amount of dvds with these slip cases on a shelf it will look like abunch of slimmer vhs tapes instead of the shinny plastic spine of a dvd keep case.

Egon's Ghost 06-16-05 05:50 AM

You know, this whole thing about collecting...I was into comics collecting, then the 90s happened, and now comics really aren't worth anything. I asked myself, why do I buy comics? Because I friggin' like to READ the buggers. If it's a secondhand 3rd printing trade paperback, fine. Having the original is cool, but for what? Who's going to care, and if you aren't paying attention, the price will probably fall to nothing anyway. (Speculation is what collapsed the comics industry, remember.)

Now, this case with the post-it notes, I admit it would have irked me. I do notice that crap and I hate it. Old video game cartridges--Jesus, people have managed to do the same to those labels!! It seems getting DVDs online avoids most of it (except for the above Salo LD example--Jesus H Christ!) Anyway, I collect what I like to have, not what I think will be worth something, but I do expect it to be in the best condition possible. Calhoun07's story of Straw Dogs--that would be make me batshit crazy. Just my two cents.

the marshal 06-16-05 10:07 AM

The cleck obiously did an error writing on the dvd case... for someone collecting dvd I don't think it's strange not to accept it, maybe a bit annal but who cares !
Actually I have head of some ppl more "annal" than that... I mean putting the dvd back in their plastic wrap after watching them... now that strange (for me at least).

Personnaly I own around 100 dvd, and I difinitely try to keep them in good condition... I don't think I am too crazy about it through. Handing dvd without scratching them isn't difficult and I guess it's a normal behavior... that doesn't seem to hold true for most ppl though. I don't really have an obssesion with dvd case... usualy most for them are in good shape at the store don't need to look which one is the best out of 20+ ! (altough I tend not to take the first one lol)

notkevinbacon 06-16-05 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango
I think this story has taught us something very important, that is to use a Sharpie when writing something on a post it note when it is affixed to a dvd case.

gasp!!! sharpies bleed!!!

:)

calhoun07 06-16-05 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
gasp!!! sharpies bleed!!!

:)

Right! I think the best answer was write on the post it note on a counter top or table first THEN put it on the case, if you have to do that.

sldvd 06-19-05 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The clerk at the customer service counter is required to remove the shrink wrap from DVDs when making an exchange so people don't turn around and try to return them for a refund.

What? Are you kidding? That doesn't make any sense at all. They don't refund your money when you do an exchange, so you should still be able to return an item that you had previously exchanged.

I actually need to go back to Best Buy and exchange a DVD set that I bought today (even though it's still unopened, I can tell it's missing a booklet that's supposed to come with it). But after reading your post, I think I'll just buy a new one and return the old one with the new receipt (since it probably won't be on sale anymore by the time I go back).

sldvd 06-19-05 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
These card board slip cases may look nice, but they can be a nightmare for collectors if they are trying to find copies of the DVD in the best condition possible. Why can't the stuidos just wrap the things in plastic wrap? Does it save the studios that much money to skip the plastic wrap around the complete package?

Plastic wrap offers no protection from dents and other damage.

sldvd 06-19-05 01:19 AM

Some of the posts in this thread seem to describe what I would call OCD-ish behavior. I definitely don't intend to offend anyone by that, because I agree with those posts... I do have some OCD-ish tendencies!

For example, I went to 4 different Best Buys today (3 were within 20 minutes of my house, but one was a half hour away) to pick up the X-Files box sets (picking them all up today was critical, as the sale could end at any moment). Part of the reason I went to 4 different stores was because none of the stores carried all 9 seasons. But another big reason I went to 4 different stores is because I'd go to one store and refuse to buy a set because none of them were in a condition satisfactory to me, so then I'd go to another store and hope that they had some in better condition. At all 4 stores I would pick up every single DVD set and compare them all, eliminating one set at a time until I found the one that was in the best condition. I think I spent over 20 minutes in each store. I also ended up buying multiple copies of some seasons, so I'm going to be making some more trips to Best Buy to return those!

calhoun07 06-19-05 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by sldvd
Plastic wrap offers no protection from dents and other damage.

But it certainly does from stickers!

Goat3001 06-19-05 02:53 AM

What? Are you kidding? That doesn't make any sense at all. They don't refund your money when you do an exchange, so you should still be able to return an item that you had previously exchanged.

Sure it makes sense. It stops people from buying an item (such as a CD or DVD) and duplicating it and then returning it for a refund. It may be inconvienent for you and many others but its a necessary practice.

djtoell 06-19-05 02:55 AM

Stores often only allow an exchange if you return an opened item. If they gave you back an unopened item, you could turn around and return it for money, defeating the purpose of their policy.

DJ

Zombie92 06-19-05 03:24 AM

I may be more anal, when I found out my Star Wars Trilogy box had a few scratches, I returned it the next day for a new one.

packaok 06-19-05 11:43 AM

In the process of trying to get my local Wal*Mart to price match Friends Season 9, the lady at the register placed a blank piece of paper on top of the set and wrote the Wal*Mart price and the competitor's price on it. Needless to say, the imprint of the writing was left on the case.

After getting the match (which was a bit of a struggle, so I didn't want to push my luck by asking for a different copy), I left the store and put the set in my car. I then went back inside and purchased another copy (non-price matched). I took it to my car, swapped it out for the damaged one, and returned the damaged one with the full-price receipt for a refund.

So, no, that isn't too anal...

sldvd 06-19-05 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Sure it makes sense. It stops people from buying an item (such as a CD or DVD) and duplicating it and then returning it for a refund. It may be inconvienent for you and many others but its a necessary practice.

Oh, now I get what you're saying. If someone wants to exchange an OPENED item, then Best Buy will open up the exchanged item for you. That makes sense.

I need to exchange an item that's still UNOPENED, so that's why I didn't think it made any sense for them to open the exchanged item.

The Ferret 06-19-05 02:05 PM

This thread supports my idea that dvd collecting is a disease.

calhoun07 06-19-05 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Ferret
This thread supports my idea that dvd collecting is a disease.

If you are going to take that position, then you'd have to place ALL collectors in that "diseased" category of yours. Whether it be DVDs, comic books, stamps, coins, dolls, frogs, Franklin Mint, what have you, the collector of those given items will want the item they buy in the best condition possible. Let's just take coins for example: what commands a higher dollar amount? An uncirculated mint coin or one that has a few scratches and dirt on it because it sat in somebody's pocket and was passed around a few times? It's a no brainer, if you ask me. If you are not a collector, and you cannot possibly connect to this kind of thinking, then calling it a disease, to me anyway, is just being a tad judgmental.

gutwrencher 06-19-05 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
In response to the snotty employee, I would have asked for a manager and bitched until I received a discount.

Is this not a no-brainer? Do most people really let idots get away with shit? Most do because of a lazy factor, or, they really just don't give a shit.

In my business, we are ranked #1 statewide in service and customer satisfaction, so maybe it's easy for me to at least expect the same from those I give my dollars to. Since my job is physically tougher than most, I demand that employees at other places get off their asses and use common sense, which in this situation, the employee you dealt with obviously lacks. That employee needs to learn to keep his piehole shut and the manager needs to wake up and offer a coupon of discount or something. When I bring things like this to the attention of those in charge, I usually always get something. Not that I'm wanting anything, but after watching a moron do something stupid or say something smart-ass, it's the least they can do. After all, they are wasting my time, yes?

I'd rather have them do the proper thing and then I don't have to stand there telling them how to do things.

Pressed too hard on my dvd case because you were not using your head? Then order me another and give me a few bucks off. Whats the big deal? If you have to fight for such a response...then thats whats anal, don't ya think?-rolleyes-