Reload this Page >

"Ring Two" - Fullscreen only for Theatrical Cut

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Ring Two" - Fullscreen only for Theatrical Cut

Old 06-12-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If home video had existed when "Gone With The Wind" came out, what if they decided to change the famous line to "Frankly my dear, I don't give a fuck!" for the video release?
If the film was suppose to be shot like that and what the director intended, then yes it should be released like that.

Notice not every film gets an unrated disc. Mostly it is horror and comedies. For horror most of the time it is for gore.

However I doubt Ring Two was originally as gory as Ichi the Killer, so it is most likely a few scenes that were taken out to get a PG-13 rating. If that's the case, I really don't see why you would want an edited title. It is the same as buying edited CD's from Wal-Mart, because that was what was played on the radio and on the music video stations.

Since this is being released the same time as the theatrical cut, I'm almost 99% sure that this what was intended on being shown the whole time.

Do you prefere OAR? If so, why? Because it gives you more picture (sometimes) or because it gives you what the director wanted us to see? The same can be applied to these unrated DVDs (80% of the time).
Old 06-12-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

but as long as they still get theatrical releases I want the experience at home to equal that of getting ahold of a theatrical print. Again, I'm glad to have alternate versions available along WITH the theatrical cut, but those should not be the ONLY versions available.

That is all we are asking for. The theatrical release in widescreen.
Old 06-12-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just as a side point, it's perfectly possible that this unrated cut won't necesarily be an R version. As we all know, Unrated is just a marketing term these days (in terms of mainstream DVDs), so it could just be a slightly altered cut that would have also been PG-13 but just not submitted to the ratings board.

However, since we all seem to be giving opinions, I'd like to have an option at least, so it seems wrong that they limit those who want OAR to just getting the Unrated cut. But ideally, there would be seamless branching, so...(but also, ideally, there would be no pan and scan, so...).
Old 06-12-05, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How about we wait to bitch and moan until early reviews start popping up explaining the differences?
If that works for you - great. All the power to you.

But I'm going B&M - though I call it an opinion - now because marketing trends are negating the common sense to release of the theatrical cut I'd like to be available in widescreen.

If they want me to buy "The Ring Two", both of them should be in widescreen.

Side point: Could anyone poiint me to an article where it states that unrated, extended and/or special edition consistently sell more? I'm curious to see the figures.
Old 06-13-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again though, it's all about trends. Right now there seem to be more films cut down to get a PG-13- hopefully this is just a fad that will end someday, but we must be able to look back at this time and remember it as such.
Because PG-13 films make money in theaters and Unrated releases make money in the home video market. You know why?

BECAUSE HOLLYWOOD IS A BUSINESS.

They rarely don't care about the consumer and they most likely never will.

Bitching and moaning about a "theatrical cut" getting a pan and scan release will get you nowhere. The "theatrical cut" is going to sell shit compared to an "unrated release." Every DVD released in an "unrated" version has sold more (doubled/tripled/etc.) to that of the "theatrical" cut. Yes, some of the time it's a gimmick; but it's a gimmick that's letting Hollywood roll in the dough. Be thankful you get the film in widescreen at all.

And as I said before, there are more films to worry about getting a craptacular DVD release than The Ring Two.
Old 06-13-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GaryEA
Side point: Could anyone poiint me to an article where it states that unrated, extended and/or special edition consistently sell more? I'm curious to see the figures.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424951
Old 06-13-05, 02:20 PM

Enough, Matthew. If you want to debate, fine. But responding to posts with this crap? Why? I'm positive you wouldn't respond like this on the HTF, so what gives?

You've come into this thread, complaining about people "bitching and moaning", using larger and bolder fonts, all to endlessly attack and belittle people who want the original version of the film in widescreen. If you don't like it, DON'T POST HERE.

Hollywood is a business - no kidding. Forums are an outlet for consumers, and I'm using it with respect to other's opinions. I'm sorry you don't see the need to do the same for others.

Last edited by GaryEA; 06-13-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 02:27 PM

Thanks!
Old 06-13-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Erik68
Maybe when people act like grown-ups and stop using terms like "foolscreen" the studios will give more credit to your opinions.
Whoa, intelligence on the internet.. who would've thought? I applaud this statement.
Old 06-13-05, 03:05 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I see with this is the following:

They put out the Full Screen version since people complain about the "black bars". So, ok, lets give part of the population what they want. Then, what happens when these folks decide to get "the hot new technology" and get a widescreen TV? All of a sudden, these folks have "bars on the side". However, these same people may not care enough about OAR, and will then just zoom in to fill the screen.

The studios should just put both versions on the disc(s) and let the viewer decide.
Old 06-13-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLB
The problem I see with this is the following:

They put out the Full Screen version since people complain about the "black bars". So, ok, lets give part of the population what they want. Then, what happens when these folks decide to get "the hot new technology" and get a widescreen TV? All of a sudden, these folks have "bars on the side". However, these same people may not care enough about OAR, and will then just zoom in to fill the screen.

The studios should just put both versions on the disc(s) and let the viewer decide.

Yeah, but for this one, more people will buy the unrated edition and get it in its OAR.
Old 06-13-05, 07:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
BITCH BITCH MOAN MOAN.
Instead of buying The Ring Two, how about those bitching and moaning put the money towards the Ringu boxset they're putting out instead? While Ring 2, Ring 0, and Rasen aren't the best of films; they're a lot better than the dreck The Ring Two was.
Matthew, you've been around long enough to know that threadcraps are against forum rules. If you dislike the movie being discussed, then just don't post in the thread.
Old 06-13-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More violence does not always equal better. I'm a huge fan of violence myself, but prefer the theatrical release of Robocop over the director's cut. Also, I get to a lot of test screenings of pre-released movies and a lot of times movies are tightened up and made better when they are edited. Of course, horror movies suffer the most because studios think that less time between jumps always equates to a scarier movie.
Old 06-14-05, 08:30 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Peep
I'm a huge fan of violence myself
Eek!